Lyndsy Fonseca Biography
Sun Sign: Capricorn
Also Known As: Lyndsy Marie Fonseca
Born in: Oakland, California
Famous as: Actress
Spouse/Ex-: Noah Bean (m. 2016), Matthew Smiley (m. 2009–2013)
father: James Victor Fonseca
mother: Lima Lynn
U.S. State: California
Lyndsy Marie Fonseca is an American actress who started her career with soap operas and then ventured into television series and films. The internationally renowned soap opera ‘The Young and the Restless’ launched her in the industry. Lyndsy later starred in the successful series ‘Malcolm in the Middle’ and ‘NYPD Blue.’ However, her 2005 stint as ‘Penny Mosby,’ the narrator ‘Ted Mosby’s daughter, in the sitcom ‘How I Met Your Mother,’ turned out to be the biggest breakthrough of her career. Her role in the series lasted until the series ended in 2014, after nine highly successful seasons. Fonseca made her film debut with the 2006 film ‘Intellectual Property’ and got her major breakthrough with the 2007 superhero satire ‘Kick-Ass.’ Another of her major film roles was that of ‘Jenny’ in the 2010 hit ‘Hot Tub Time Machine.’ She ventured into action roles with the 2010 series ‘Nikita,’ which earned her nominations for quite a few ‘Teen Choice Awards.’ In 2010, she featured at the 62nd spot on the ‘Maxim Hot 100’ list.
- Lyndsy Marie Fonseca was born on January 7, 1987, in Oakland, California. She grew up without any siblings. Her parents divorced soon after her birth. Her mother remarried after a few years.
- Lyndsy was an enthusiastic dancer since her early years and never missed a single local dance competition. She joined dance classes early in her life, and by the time she was a teenager, she had become a popular young dancer in the neighborhood.
- Dance helped her get in shape. However, in her early teenage years, she started dreaming of becoming an actor. At the age of 13, she participated in an event organized by the ‘International Modeling and Talent Association’ (IMTA), where she earned the third place in the ‘Young Miss Dancer of the Year’ competition. She also became the first runner-up in another competition at the same event.
- The event was a huge opportunity for her, as it was attended by a few talent agents who could have helped her get a direct entry into the entertainment industry. She moved to Los Angeles at the age of 12, and as her performances at the ‘IMTA’ event had already created a buzz in the industry, she was offered a role in the soap opera ‘The Young and the Restless.’
- In 2001, she appeared in the popular soap opera ‘The Young and the Restless.’ She was a young addition to the cast and charmed the producers with her talent and confidence. This resulted in her being a regular part of the show for several years.
- Starring in ‘The Young and the Restless’ paved her way for better roles. She soon became part of several projects such as ‘Malcolm in the Middle,’ ‘Switched!,’ and ‘NYPD Blue.’ Most of those stints were small and did not do justice to her talent.
- In 2005, she earned the first major role of her career in the sitcom ‘How I Met Your Mother.’ The story revolved around ‘Ted Mosby,’ a father who tells his children how he had met their mother. She played the role of ‘Penny,’ the daughter, and made several recurring appearances in the series.
- The producers of the show were worried about maintaining consistency, as Lyndsy would grow up through the course of the series. Thus, all her scenes were filmed in advance. The sitcom became a huge hit, eventually outshining the cult series ‘Friends.’
- This remarkable success earned Lyndsy many meaty roles. One of such opportunities was her role in the 2006 drama ‘Big Love,’ which revolved around the concept of polygamy. Apart from being a highly controversial series, it also became a critical and commercial success. Lyndsy played ‘Donna,’ a major role in the first season.
- Lyndsy then continued with her career, playing significant roles in the series ‘CSI: Crime Scene Investigation,’ ‘House,’ and ‘Heroes.’
- Meanwhile, her film career too flourished. After making her debut with the 2006 film ‘Intellectual Property,’ she starred as ‘Dawn’ in the popular film ‘Remember the Daze.’ The film fared poorly at the box office. Critics referred to it as the worst film ever made.
- However, Lyndsy handled her career well, and in 2010, which was the most successful year of her acting career, she appeared in a number of major hits. She played a major role in the superhero satire comedy ‘Kick-Ass.’ The film was appreciated for its screenplay and for the performances of its actors.
- This was followed by another major role in ‘Hot Tub Time Machine,’ another successful film. She then played a very different role in the film ‘The Ward.’ It was a psychological thriller, which starred her in the role of ‘Iris,’ a smart and creative young adult.
- 2010 saw her in another leading TV role in the series ‘Nikita.’ Lyndsy played the role of ‘Alex’ in the series based on the successful 1990 film of the same name.
- Lyndsy then played a leading role in the made-for-TV anthology film ‘Five,’ which was a collection of five short stories. Lyndsy was the lead in the fifth story, ‘Cheyanne.’
- In 2013, she reprised her role from ‘Kick-Ass’ in its sequel, ‘Kick-Ass 2.’ She earned another major role in the 2015 adventure comedy–drama film ‘Moments of Clarity.’ Lyndsy played ‘Danielle,’ an ill-tempered girl with a heart of gold. Her role in the film received immense accolades.
- She then starred in ‘The Escort,’ a romantic drama, where she played the role of a sufficiently educated girl named ‘Natalie.’ The film was appreciated by critics for its unusual subject matter and premiered at the ‘Los Angeles Film Festival’ in 2016.
- Lyndsy continued her successful TV stint with ‘Marvel’s Agent Carter,’ where she played a recurring role in the first season. The role was later reduced to a guest appearance in the second season.
- In the 2016 limited series ‘RePlay,’ she portrayed the main role in all its 12 episodes. She ended the year 2016 with a single-episode stint in the series ‘Pitch.’
- Lyndsy Fonseca dated actor and director Matthew Smiley for a few years, before marrying him in 2009. However, her marriage turned out to be a rocky affair, and the couple split in 2012. The next year, she filed for divorce and stated that Matthew was impossible to live with and that the issues between them could not be resolved.
- Lyndsy then started dating actor Noah Bean. In early 2016, she announced her marriage with Noah. They got married in late 2016. Their daughter, Greta, was born in February 2018.
Lyndsy Fonseca Movies
1. Kick-Ass (2010)
2. Kick-Ass 2 (2013)
(Comedy, Crime, Action)
3. Hot Tub Time Machine (2010)
4. The Escort (2016)
(Romance, Drama, Comedy)
5. The Beautiful Ordinary (2007)
6. The Ward (2010)
(Thriller, Horror, Mystery)
How To Cite
People Also Viewed