Kevin Sussman Biography
Sun Sign: Sagittarius
Born in: New York City, New York
Famous as: Actor
siblings: Brian Sussman, Dan Sussman
City: New York City
U.S. State: New Yorkers
education: College of Staten Island, American Academy of Dramatic Arts
Kevin Sussman is an American actor, best known for playing ‘Stuart Bloom’ in the ‘CBS’ sitcom ‘The Big Bang Theory.’ Another of his popular roles was that of ‘Walter’ in the ‘ABC’ comedy–drama series ‘Ugly Betty.’ He made his acting debut in the TV serial ‘Ghost Stories,’ followed by his big-screen debut as ‘Alan Joseph Zuckerman’ in the comedy–drama film ‘Liberty Heights.’ Some of his other notable films include ‘A. I. Artificial Intelligence,’ ‘Funny Money,’ and ‘Burn After Reading.’ He is a known face on TV, with appearances in numerous popular serials, such as ‘The Sopranos,’ ‘My Name is Earl,’ and ‘Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp.’ He, along with the entire cast of ‘Ugly Betty,’ was nominated for the ‘Ensemble of the Year’ and ‘Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series’ at the ‘Gold Derby Awards’ and at the ‘Screen Actors Guild Awards,’ respectively. On the personal front, very little is known about the actor, as he is not very active on social media. He married Alessandra Young, but the relationship went sour after six years of marriage. They started living separately and later filed for divorce. Currently, he is a recognized entertainment personality in the US and has a large fan base, spanning across all ages. He has proved himself to be a versatile actor who has a trademark style of his own.
- Kevin Sussman was born on December 4, 1970, in Staten Island, New York City, US, to Jewish school-teacher parents. He belongs to a family of ‘Ashkenazi Jewish’ ethnicity. He has three elder brothers, Andy, Dan, and Brian. However, he and his brothers were never close to each other and went their separate ways early in life.
- Kevin studied at the ‘College of Staten Island’ for one year and later graduated from the ‘American Academy of Dramatic Arts’ in Manhattan. His heart was set on acting from a young age. Encouraged by his parents, he decided to learn acting from the well-known acting tutor Uta Hagen for four years. He also studied drama at the ‘HB Studio’ in Greenwich Village, New York City, for a while.
- As a young boy, he worked at a comic-book store for some time, to make ends meet. Though his heart was always in acting, he did not get a break till he was well into his late twenties.
- Kevin Sussman made his acting debut as ‘Joey Howell’ in the TV serial ‘Ghost Stories,’ in 1998. This was followed by his appearance as ‘Tuba Guy’ in the ‘NBC’ crime-drama series ‘Third Watch.’ He had a unique character to his acting that was polished during the years spent under the guidance of Uta Hagen.
- He made his debut on the big screen with his appearance as ‘Alan Joseph Zuckerman’ in the comedy–drama film ‘Liberty Heights,’ written and directed by Barry Levinson, in 1999. In 2000, he was seen as ‘Lenny’ in the comedy–drama film ‘Almost Famous.’ Although he had a minor role to play, both these films spelt big success for his career as an actor.
- Kevin has acted in a number of films thereafter, such as ‘Kissing Jessica Stein’ (2001), ‘Sweet Home Alabama’ (2002), ‘Hitch’ (2005), ‘Made of Honor’ (2008), ‘Alpha and Omega’ (2010), and ‘2nd Serve’ (2012).
- He had a recurring role, as ‘Walter,’ in the first season of the TV comedy–drama serial ‘Ugly Betty,’ which ran from 2006 to 2007. His performance received immense positive reviews from both critics and fans. Between 2007 and 2008 he was seen in two episodes of the sitcom ‘My Name is Earl.’ Here too, his performance was praised by critics, and he gained a significant fan base that was appreciative of his style of acting.
- His biggest break in acting came in 2009, when he was given the recurring role of ‘Stuart Bloom’ in the ‘CBS’ serial ‘The Big Bang Theory.’ He plays the role of a comic-book store owner, which is something he did in real life too, before becoming an actor. The character he portrays is that of a lonely man with low self-esteem, who keeps making pathetic attempts to engage with women. Some say this is also quite similar to his real-life profile. He was initially a guest actor from season two to five and later got promoted to a regular starring role from season six.
- His latest TV appearances have been for the serials ‘Children’s Hospital’ (2010), ‘Weeds’ (2012), and ‘Wet Hot American Summer: First Day Camp.’ He has continued to portray a trademark character and style that fans can identify with.
- Kevin Sussman has also appeared in a number of commercials on TV, including the campaigns for ‘Eggos’ and ‘FedEx.’ He was also seen in the latest ‘T Mobile’ commercial for the ‘Galaxy S 4G’ mobile phone.
- Currently, Kevin is in his late 40s and has a large fan following. He is a recognized personality in the US entertainment industry and has a bright future ahead of him.
- Some of his notable films include ‘Liberty Heights’ (1999), ‘Wet Hot American Summer’ (2001), ‘A. I. Artificial Intelligence’ (2001), ‘Changing Lanes’ (2002), ‘Funny Money’ (2006), ‘Heavy Petting’ (2007), ‘Burn After Reading’ (2008), and ‘Freeloaders’ (2011).
- As a TV actor, he has appeared in ‘Ghost Stories’ (1998), ‘The Sopranos’ (2000), ‘Ugly Betty’ (2006–2007), ‘My Name is Earl’ (2007–2008), ‘The Big Bang Theory’ (2009 to date), ‘The Good Guys’ (2010), ‘Weeds’ (2012), and ‘Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp’ (2015).
- His TV commercials include campaigns for brands such as ‘Eggos,’ ‘FedEx,’ and the ‘Galaxy S 4G’ mobile phone.
- For his role of ‘Walter’ in ‘Ugly Betty,’ he was nominated for the award of the ‘Ensemble of the Year’ at the 2007 ‘Gold Derby Awards’ and for the award of ‘Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series’ at the ‘Screen Actors Guild Awards’ ceremony, the same year.
- Although very little is known about his personal life, it is said that Kevin Sussman married Alessandra Young in January 2006. They enjoyed a happy married life initially, but the relationship soured by 2012. They started living separately but did nothing official about it till they filed for divorce in October 2017. According to reports, he has made a onetime payment to Young and will not be paying her any regular support after the divorce.
- Unlike other contemporary stars, he is not active on social media. This is one of the reasons for the lack of information about his personal life.
- It is said that Kevin Sussman is paid a whopping US$ 50,000 per episode for essaying the role of ‘Stuart Bloom’ in the serial ‘The Big Bang Theory.’ Currently, his net worth is estimated to be US$ 3,000,000.
Kevin Sussman Movies
1. Almost Famous (2000)
(Adventure, Comedy, Music, Drama)
2. Artificial Intelligence: AI (2001)
(Drama, Sci-Fi, Adventure)
3. Liberty Heights (1999)
(Drama, Music, Romance)
4. Burn After Reading (2008)
(Crime, Comedy, Drama)
5. Wet Hot American Summer (2001)
6. Taking Woodstock (2009)
(Biography, Drama, Comedy, Music)
7. Hitch (2005)
8. Kissing Jessica Stein (2001)
(Romance, Comedy, Drama)
How To Cite
People Also Viewed