Kevin Hart Biography
Sun Sign: Cancer
Also Known As: Kevin Darnell Hart
Born in: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Famous as: Comedian
Spouse/Ex-: Eniko Parrish (m. 2016), Torrei Hart (m. 2003–2011)
father: Henry Witherspoon
mother: Nancy Hart
children: Kenzo Kash
Kevin Darnell Hart is an American comedian and actor who has appeared in numerous films like ‘Paper Soldiers’ and ‘Scary Movie 3.’ Hart was born in Philadelphia, in the US, and had a difficult childhood as his father was a drug addict and a petty criminal. He pursued humor as a way of coping with his troubled family life. He began his comedic career shortly after his high school graduation. He started small and eventually began performing in bigger clubs in New York and Los Angeles. He proved to be quite successful as a comedian and went on a series of comedy tours which helped him establish himself in the entertainment field. He soon ventured into TV as well and gained fame after playing a recurring role in the American sitcom ‘Undeclared’. His TV roles eventually led to film offers and he made his film debut in the crime comedy film ‘Paper Soldiers’. He was next seen in the film ‘Scary Movie 3’, which was a huge commercial success. Other than his work in films, he has also released three comedy albums. His album ‘Kevin Hart: What Now?’ was nominated for the Grammy Award in the ‘Best Comedy Album’ category. He has received several awards in his career, such as the ‘BET Award’, ‘Teen Choice Award’, and ‘People’s Choice Award’.
- Kevin Hart was born on 6th July 1979 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in the US. His father Henry Witherspoon was a cocaine addict and spent most of his time in jail. Hart was, therefore, raised by his mother, Nancy Hart.
- Hart used humor as a medium of coping with his troubled family life and realized that he was inherently talented at performing comedy.
- He studied at the George Washington High School and later at the Community College of Philadelphia. He also worked for some time as a shoe salesman in Brockton, Massachusetts. Later, after performing at a night club in Philadelphia, he decided to pursue an acting career fulltime.
- Kevin Hart began his comedy career under the name of Lil Kev. However, he did not find any success in his initial gigs. By chance, he found a mentor in a veteran comedian named Keith Robinson who began to coach him.
- Hart later started performing under his own name and soon success followed. Within a few months, he was performing regularly in clubs all over the country.
- He began his comedy tours in 2009, with his act ‘I’m a Grown Little Man,’ which was followed by ‘Seriously Funny’ in 2010. He then went on the ‘Laugh at My Pain’ and ‘Let Me Explain’ tours, which were also released as features in movie theatres. He has released three comedy albums as well.
- Kevin Hart began his acting career in 2002, with a role in the American sitcom ‘Undeclared’, created by Judd Apatow. He made his film debut the same year, with a main role in the comedy film ‘Paper Soldiers’.
- He next appeared in the 2003 comedy horror film ‘Scary Movie 3’, the third film of the Scary Movie franchise. The film was a huge success commercially, though reviews were below average. The same year, he was seen in the film ‘Death of a Dynasty’.
- In 2004, he appeared in the comedy film ‘Soul Plane’, in the lead role. The film was a commercial failure and was met with negative reviews. His next important role was in ‘Scary Movie 4’, the fourth film of the Scary Movie franchise.
- In the ensuing years, he appeared in films like ‘Epic Movie’ (2007), ‘Superhero Movie’ (2008), ‘Not Easily Broken’ (2008), ‘Death at a Funeral’ (2010) and ‘Little Fockers’ (2010).
- He played one of the important roles in the 2012 romantic comedy film ‘Think Like a Man’. The film was a financial success, earning more than $96 million. It was met with mixed reviews. The next year, he was seen in the sports comedy film ‘Grudge Match’, where he starred alongside veteran actors Sylvester Stallone and Robert de Niro. The film was an average success commercially though its reviews were mostly negative.
- In 2014, he seen in a lead role in the action comedy film ‘Ride Along’. The film was a huge success financially, though its reviews were mostly negative. The same year, he was seen in the romantic comedy film ‘About Last Night’. It was a critical and commercial success. His next film ‘Get Hard’, released in 2015, was also a commercial success, but a critical failure.
- His important works in 2016 were ‘Central Intelligence’ and ‘The Secret Life of Pets’. Both the films were commercial and critical successes. More recently, he played the lead voice role in the 2017 animated film ‘Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie’. The film was a commercial success and also received positive reviews.
- He played a main role in the comedy drama film ‘Upside’, after which he was seen in an important role in the comedy adventure film ‘Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle’. The film was a huge success commercially, earning nearly $1 billion at the box office. It was met with mostly positive reviews from critics.
- Kevin Hart’s early works include roles in the third and the fourth films of ‘The Scary Movie’ franchise. Hart portrayed a supporting character named CJ. The films were highly successful commercially, though critical reception was mostly negative. The franchise is known for making parodies of several cult horror films.
- Hart played one of the main roles in the romantic comedy film ‘Think Like a Man’. Directed by Tim Story, the film was a commercial success, earning $96 million on a $12 million budget. The movie was based on the book ‘Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man’ by Steve Harvey. It followed four different stories about four different couples. Critical reaction was mostly mixed.
- Another one of his successful works is ‘Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle,’ an adventure comedy fantasy film, where he played one of the main roles. It was based on the 1995 film ‘Jumanji’, which was itself based on a children’s book of the same name. Made on a budget of around $90 million, the film earned more than $960 million, more than ten times its budget. It was also met with positive reviews.
- Kevin Hart has been married to Eniko Parrish since 2016. They have one son who was born in November 2017. He was named Kenzo Kash.
- Previously, Hart was married to Torrei Hart who he divorced in 2011. He has two children from his first marriage.
|2017||Favorite Comedic Movie Actor||Winner|
|2016||Favorite Comedic Movie Actor||Winner|
How To Cite
People Also Viewed