Kate McKinnon Biography
Sun Sign: Capricorn
Also Known As: Kathryn McKinnon Berthold
Born Country: United States
Born in: Sea Cliff, New York, United States
Famous as: Actress
father: Michael Thomas Berthold
mother: Laura Campbell
siblings: Emily Lynne Berthold
U.S. State: New Yorkers
education: Columbia University (2006), North Shore High School (2002), North Shore High School
Kate McKinnon is a popular comedian, impressionist, mimicry artist, actress, and voice-over artist. She is best known for her comedy shows ‘Saturday Night Live’ and ‘The Big Gay Sketch Show.’ Kate is also famous for mimicking well-known celebrities, such as Justin Bieber and Hillary Clinton. She became a prominent actress after playing the character of ‘Dr. Jillian Holtzmann’ in the 2016 supernatural comedy flick ‘Ghostbusters: Answer the Call.’ She has also acted in other comedy movies like ‘Ted 2’ and ‘Sisters.’ Kate has lent her voice to characters of animated films like ‘Finding Dory’ and ‘The Angry Birds Movie.’ She is the brand ambassador of ‘Ford Focus,’ the automobile segment of ‘Ford Motor Company.’ Kate has received many awards for her skills and wit. She was also nominated for ‘Primetime Emmy Award’ on five occasions under ‘Outstanding Supporting Actress in Comedy Series’ and ‘Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics’ categories. Kate has always been bold and clear about her sexual orientation. She is a proud lesbian and has worked towards the welfare of LGBT and various other communities.
- Kate was born Kathryn McKinnon Berthold on January 6, 1984, in Sea Cliff, New York, USA. Her father Michael Thomas Berthold was an architect and her mother Laura Campbell was a parent educator.
- Kate attended ‘North Shore High School’ and graduated in the year 2002. She was always interested in performing arts and playing musical instruments. She earned her bachelor’s degree with a major in Theatre Arts from ‘Columbia University.’
- She learned to play different musical instruments like cello, piano, and guitar. During her university days, she became part of a theatre group called ‘Prangstgrup.’ Her association with the theater group helped her realize that comedy is her forte. Since then, she has been focusing on this genre. She later came up with her own theatre group called ‘Tea Party.’
- Kate started her career as a comedian in 2007. She acted in a play that was staged at the ‘Upright Citizens Brigade Theater’ in New York. Her television breakthrough came a few months later when she starred in the comedy show ‘The Big Gay Sketch Show,’ performing various roles.
- Kate was part of the show for three seasons. The show dealt with sensitive issues pertaining to homosexuality but with a hint of sarcasm and comedy. Kate was able to relate to the show and that helped her to portray her characters well. Meanwhile, she also continued performing in comedy stage plays and sketches for theatres.
- In 2008, Kate appeared in the television show ‘Mayne Street’ in which she played the role of ‘Olga Svenson’ in an episode titled ‘Parking Tickets.’ In 2010, she appeared in many television shows like ‘We Have to Stop Now,’ ‘Concierge: The Series,’ and ‘Vag Magazine.’ The same year, she made her debut as a voice-over artist when she lent her voice to a character in the fantasy animated film ‘Robotomy.’ Kate then went on to make her film debut as an actor with the short film ‘Mr. Ross.’
- From 2010 to 2011, Kate performed as a voice-over artist, voicing ‘Nikki’ and ‘Margaret Fictel’ in the animated series ‘The Venture Bros.’ She also acted in two other short films. Kate showed off her mimicking skills in the comedy show ‘The Back Room’ where she mimicked the famous Scottish singer Susan Boyle.
- In 2012, Kate won millions of hearts with her super hit comedy show ‘Saturday Night Live.’ The show not only elevated Kate’s status as a comedian but also established her as a bold personality.
- She discussed her sexuality on the show and was praised for her boldness. In the 41st season, she shared screen space with the 2016 presidential election candidate Hillary Clinton. Hillary appeared in an episode in which Kate mimicked her. Kate also displayed her admiration towards Hillary and said that she would want Hillary as the next president.
- Kate is the first homosexual female artist to be associated with the show for so many years.
- In 2013, she voiced ‘PEZ Cat’ in the television special ‘Toy Story of Terror!’ For the next couple of years, Kate voiced prominent characters in many animated films like ‘The Angry Birds Movie,’ ‘Finding Dory,’ and ‘Leap!’
- Kate managed to garner accolades as a voice-over artist in TV shows too. She voiced the lead character ‘Miss Fiona Felicity Frizzle,’ a teacher from a magic school, in the children's fantasy series ‘The Magic School Bus Rides Again.’
- Kate then played one of the most popular characters in the comedy fantasy film ‘Ghostbusters: Answer the Call.’
- Kate also lent her voice for a brief period of time in the 24th season of the long-running show ‘The Simpsons.’ From 2015 to 2016, Kate served as a voice-over artist for the animated series ‘Nature Cat.’
- Kate hosted the 31st ‘Independent Spirit Awards’ along with Kumail Nanjiani, a Pakistani stand-up comedian.
- In 2018, she was seen in the film ‘The Spy Who Dumped Me.’ In the film, she was seen playing the lead role of ‘Morgan’ alongside Mila Kunis. The same year, she was also seen in Stephanie Laing's romantic comedy-drama film ‘Irreplaceable You’ where she played ‘Glass Half Full Kate.’ 2018 also saw her portraying ‘Jill’ in Laura Steinel's comedy film ‘Family.’
- In 2019, she was seen in the romantic comedy film ‘Yesterday’ in which she played ‘Debra Hammer.’ The same year, she also played ‘Jess Carr’ in a biographical drama film titled ‘Bombshell.’
- ‘NewNowNext Award’ (2009) – This was the first award won by Kate. She won the award under the ‘Brink of Fame: Comic’ category.
- ‘American Comedy Award’ (2014) – This was the first award that Kate won for her show ‘Saturday Night Live.’ She won the award under the ‘Best Supporting Actress on TV in a Comic Role’ category.
- ‘Primetime Emmy Award’ (2016 & 2017) – Kate has received a lot of accolades and awards for her super hit show ‘Saturday Night Live.’ These awards include the prestigious ‘Primetime Emmy Award.’ For two consecutive years, she received the award under the ‘Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series’ category.
- Kate has always been open about her relationships and sexuality. Apart from speaking about her sexuality, she has also advocated self-acceptance.
- She became a role model for many Hollywood stars who had kept their sexual preferences in the dark. Kate inspired many who were struggling with their respective identities.
- It is rumored that Kate is in a relationship with Broadway actress Marla Mindelle as they both have been spotted together on many occasions. However, they have not confirmed their relationship yet.
Kate McKinnon Movies
1. Bombshell (2019)
2. Ted 2 (2015)
3. Irreplaceable You (2017)
(Drama, Romance, Comedy)
4. Life Partners (2014)
5. The Spy Who Dumped Me (2018)
6. Sisters (2015)
7. Masterminds (2016)
(Crime, Comedy, Action)
8. Office Christmas Party (2016)
|2017||Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series||Saturday Night Live (1975)|
|2016||Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series||Saturday Night Live (1975)|
How To Cite
People Also Viewed