Karenna Gore Schiff Biography
Sun Sign: Leo
Also Known As: Karenna Aitcheson Gore
Born in: Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Famous as: Author, Attorney
Spouse/Ex-: Andrew Newman Schiff
father: Al Gore
mother: Mary Elizabeth Aitcheson Gore
siblings: and Albert Gore, Kristin Gore, Sarah Gore Maiani
children: Anna Hunger Schiff, Oscar Aitcheson Schiff, Wyatt Gore Schiff
U.S. State: Tennessee
education: Harvard University, Columbia Law School, National Cathedral School, Harvard College
Karenna Gore, formerly known as Karenna Schiff, is an American author, attorney, and journalist. She is the daughter of Al Gore, former Vice President of the United States, and granddaughter of the former Tennessee senator, Al Gore Sr. She worked as a journalist and an attorney before leaving behind her high profile career to become an administrator in the non-profit sector. Gore has worked for the Association to Benefit Children and has also been very active as a volunteer for Sanctuary for Families. Gore was influenced as well as inspired by her family members in the pursuit of her career. She was avidly involved during her father Al Gore’s term as the vice president and also campaigned when he was running for the president, touring and giving speeches to the voters on various social issues. Also an author, she published the book ‘Lighting the Way: Nine Women Who Shaped Modern America’ in 2006.
- While in college, Karenna Gore did internships as a journalist with WREG-TV and The Times-Picayune, and later she wrote columns for ‘Slate’ in Seattle as well as for ‘El Pais’ in Spain. After completing her law degree from the Columbia Law School in 2000, she joined the law firm ‘Simpson Thacher & Bartlett’ in New York City. However, she discontinued her association with the firm very soon and joined the non-profit sector.
- Gore was influenced by her father and grandfather to work in the politics, though not as a politician. She became heavily involved in politics when her father Al Gore became the vice president under the US President Bill Clinton. She traveled a lot during his term and met with several people and gave speeches to voters.
- Later, when her father himself ran for the presidency in 2000, she seconded his nomination at the Democratic National Convention and also became a star member of his campaign. She worked as her father’s trusted advisor and also brought powerful personalities like Naomi Wolf, a popular feminist and a well-known face among the progressive female fraternity, to join the consulting team. Unfortunately for her and her father, the campaign ended disastrously and Gore decided to leave politics for the time being.
- In 2006, she published ‘Lighting the Way: Nine Women Who Shaped Modern America’, a book containing profiles of nine modern and influential American women who helped in shaping the country’s history. She later said in an interview that the book was a result of the “frustrating” campaign of her father running for the president and she wanted to make something “positive” out it.
- Gore has always been vocal against the use of explicit song lyrics and has also worked to prevent the use of products which exploited Third World countries. She was part of the campaign against the Constitution pipeline (a fracked gas pipeline) which ran through New York state and also took part in the campaign against the construction of a pipeline in Boston. The said pipeline was supposed to carry fracked gas for the Houston-based Spectra Company, and she protested the matter along with 22 other protesters in Boston which resulted in an arrest for all the protestors.
- Karenna Gore worked as the Director of Community Affairs for the Association to Benefit Children and has also volunteered in the legal center of Sanctuary for Families after she left her job of an editor at the ‘Glamour magazine.’ Recently in 2017, Gore was elected to the Board of Directors of ‘Riverkeeper’, a non-profit environmental organization dedicated to the protection of the Hudson River and its tributaries, which also protects the watersheds that provide New York City with its drinking water.
- Karenna Aitcheson Gore was born in Nashville, Tennessee on August 6, 1973, to former Vice President of the United States Al Gore and author cum social activist Tipper Gore. She is the granddaughter of the former Tennessee senator, Al Gore Sr. She has three siblings, author and screenwriter Kristin Gore, Sarah Gore Maiani and Albert Gore. She went to Harvard University and received her B.A. in history and literature in 1995. She received her law degree from Columbia Law School in 2000 and later in 2013 she earned a Master of Arts degree from Union Theological Seminary.
- Gore married physician Andrew Newman Schiff on July 12, 1997. The couple has three children together, Wyatt Gore Schiff, born in 1999, Anna Hunger Schiff, born in 2001, and Oscar Aitcheson Schiff, born in 2006. The couple separated in 2010 and later ended their marriage with a divorce.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed