Julie Bowen Biography
Sun Sign: Pisces
Also Known As: Julie Bowen Luetkemeyer
Born in: Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.
Famous as: Actress
Spouse/Ex-: Scott Phillips (m. 2004)
father: John Luetkemeyer Jr
mother: Suzanne Luetkemeyer
siblings: Annie Luetkemeyer, Molly Luetkemeyer
children: Gustav Phillips, John Phillips, Oliver McLanahan Phillips
City: Baltimore, Maryland
U.S. State: Maryland
Julie Bowen is an American actress who rose to fame for her role of Carl Vessey in the television series ‘Ed’, for the role of Denise Bauer in ‘Boston Legacy’, for the role of Sarah Shepherd in ‘Lost’ and for the role of Claire Dunphy in ‘Modern Family’. She has won six nominations for the ‘Emmy Award’ which she has won twice. She started with roles in television serials and soon graduated to films. She has acted both in television movies and films with equal dexterity which has made a household name all over the world. The character of her husband in her most popular TV show ‘Modern Family’ is a real-estate investor while in real life she is actually married to one. She comes from a mixture of Welsh, English, Scottish, German and French ancestry. She has quite a few ancestors who had figured in the political history of the country at various times. John Valcoulon LeMoye, a ‘United States Representative’ from Illinois, was her great-great-grandfather, while Magnus Miller Ray, the two-time mayor of Pittsburg during 1930s was her great-great-great-grandfather. She has more than 700,000 followers on Instagram, more than 487,000 followers on Twitter and more than 108,000 followers on her official Facebook page.
- Julie Bowen was born Julie Bowen Luetkemeyer on March 3, 1970 in Baltimore, Maryland, United States.
- Her father is John Luetkemeyer Jr, who is a real estate agent and her mother is Suzanne Luetkemeyer.
- She has an elder sister named Annie and a younger sister named Molly.
- She attended the ‘Calvert School’ in Baltimore and ‘Garrison Forest School’ in Maryland during her initial school days and then joined the ‘St.George’s School’ on Rhode Island.
- She also attended the sophisticated and high class ‘Roland Park County School’ located in Baltimore, Maryland at one point of time.
- After finishing high school she joined the ‘Brown University’ and graduated from there with a BA degree in ‘Renaissance Studies’.
- She got a taste of acting when she took part in stage productions titled ‘Stage Door’ and ‘Guys and Dolls’ while she was studying in college for her graduation.
- She spent her junior year in Florence Italy, and became fluent in Italian while she was there.
- After completing graduation she moved to New York and joined the famous ‘Actors Studio’ where she studied acting.
- Julie Bowen started getting roles while studying at the ‘Actors Studio’ and her first role was in a soap opera titled ‘Loving ‘in 1992.
- In 1993 she acted in a college drama titled ‘Class of ‘96’ while in 1994 she acted in the lead role in the television film ‘Runaway Daughters’.
- In 1995 she was seen in the in the television series ‘Extreme’ in which she played the role of Andie Mcdermot.
- She got her next role in 1996 in the TV series ‘Happy Gilmore’. Very soon other roles in films followed that included the film ‘Multiplicity’ in which she appeared in supporting roles.
- In 1997 she co-starred with Tom Everett Scott in the film ‘An American Werewolf in Paris’. Incidentally the character played by Tom had the name ‘Andy McDermot’ which was similar to her role name in the series ‘Extreme’ earlier.
- In the same year in 1997 she played a couple of guest roles in television series ‘Strange Luck’ and ‘Party of Five’.
- On 2001 Julie acted in the films ‘Joe Somebody’ and ‘Venus and Mars’ for whch she received quite a lot of acclaim.
- But her popularity reached its zenith when she acted in some of the television series which include the role of Roxanne Please in ‘ER’ from 1998 to 1999 and in the role of a high-school teacher teaching English in another series titled ‘Ed’ which ran from 2000 to 2004.
- She appeared as a guest star named Sarah Shephard in the television series ‘Lost’ which was about a group people stranded on a mysterious tropical island after a plane crash. It was immensely popular and ran from 2005 to 2007.
- She played the part of Denise Bauer in the television series ‘Boston Legal’ which ran from 2005 to 2007.
- She was seen in the films ‘Kids in America’ in 2005 and ‘Sex and Death 101’ in 2007.
- In 2008 she was a constant figure in the television series ‘Weeds’.
- Her fame reached greater heights after she was seen in various episodes of the television series ‘Modern Family’ in the role of Claire Dunphy which has been running successfully since 2009.
- She played a role in the film ‘Crazy on the Outside’ in 2010 and in 2011 she appeared in the films ‘Horrible Bosses’ and ‘Jumping the Broom’.
- She has also appeared in one episode of ‘Jeopardy!’ on August 31, 2010.
- Julie Bowen won nominations for the ‘Primetime Emmy Award’ for ‘Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series’ six times consecutively for the role of Claire Dunphy in ‘Modern Family’ and has won the award twice in the years 2011 and 2012.
- She has also bagged the ‘Screen Actors Guild’ awards for the same role in the same television series which has been running since 2009.
- She has been appointed as a spokesperson for ‘Neutrogena’ which is a company selling ‘Pure Glow’ products and has also appeared in advertisements for these products.
- Julie Bowden married Scott Phillips who is an investor in real estate on September 9, 2004.
- She has three sons from this marriage namely Oliver Mclanahan, and the twins Gustav and John.
- She has been suffering from cardio-vascular problems since her early twenties and has a pacemaker installed to keep the pulse rate from dangerously going down.
- In 2002 she donated $1000 to the funds raised during the election campaign of Helen Delich Bentley for a place in the ‘U.S. House of Representatives’ from the second district of Maryland.
- There have been a lot of rumors that she and Sofia Vergara, her co-star in ‘Modern Family’ are at logger-heads. Julie has always replied that all that is being brought up about her fight with her co-star is a lot of rubbish and actually the two women are very good friends.
- She has also come in for criticism when she cracked a few jokes about Donald Trump before the 2016 Presidential election in United States.
- In 2016 she was seen as a supporter for Hillary Clinton when she appeared in a video shown at the ‘National Convention’ of the ‘Democratic Party’.
- She visited Costa Rica for her honeymoon and while there she helped baby turtles that were freshly hatched to reach the sea from their nest in the sands. This ensured that no predator could attack them while they were very small and completely defenseless.
- She is a yoga enthusiast and lives with her family in Beverly Hills, California.
- Often people mistake Julie Benz for her and ask for an autograph. Julie Benz obliges them by signing in the name of Julie Bowen.
Julie Bowen Movies
1. Happy Gilmore (1996)
2. Horrible Bosses (2011)
3. Multiplicity (1996)
(Sci-Fi, Romance, Comedy)
4. Sex and Death 101 (2007)
(Comedy, Drama, Romance)
5. Kids in America (2005)
6. Jumping the Broom (2011)
7. Joe Somebody (2001)
8. Crazy on the Outside (2010)
|2012||Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series||Modern Family (2009)|
|2011||Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series||Modern Family (2009)|
How To Cite
People Also Viewed