Josh Smith Biography
Sun Sign: Sagittarius
Also Known As: Joshua Smith
Born Country: United States
Born in: College Park, Georgia, United States
Famous as: Basketball Player
Spouse/Ex-: Alexandria Smith (m. 2010)
father: Pete Smith
mother: Paulette Smith
siblings: Kasola Smith, Phebe Smith, Shanti Smith, Walter Smith
children: Genesis Smith, Jett Smith, Josh Smith
City: Baltimore, Maryland
education: Dillard High School, Oak Hill Academy, McEachern High School
Josh Smith or “J-Smoove” is an African-American pro-basketball player. He played in NBA for teams like the ‘New Orleans Pelicans’, ‘Atlanta Hawks’, ‘Detroit Pistons’, and ‘Los Angeles Clippers’. He has also played for teams of other countries, such as the ‘Sichuan Blue Whales’ of China and ‘Maccabi Haifa B.C.’ of Israel. Although he is not retired, he has found himself out of NBA for the past few years. He is working towards a comeback, but is yet to find a team. He is known for playing as a “power forward” and “small forward”. He is particularly famous for his blocking and his offense. That added to his talent for adding vertical spacing to attacks; makes him a lethal weapon on the court. Josh Smith has also been part of all-star teams like the ‘McDonald’s All-American’, ‘NBA All-Rookie Second Team’, and the ‘NBA All-Defensive Second Team’. As an active professional basketball player, his career stats speak for his on-court talent. He averages 14.5 points, 7.4 rebounds, 28.5 3-point field goal percentage, and 1.9 blocks per game. If that weren’t enough, he has won the ‘NBA Slam Dunk Contest’ once.
- Joshua “Josh” Smith was born on December 5, 1985, in College Park, Georgia, USA. His father is Pete Smith and his mother is Paulette Smith. He has four siblings.
- He went to school at the ‘John McEachern High School’ in Powder Springs, Georgia. He played for the ‘Atlanta Celtics AAU’ team, prior to joining ‘Oak Hill Academy’ for his senior year.
- Averaging 22 points, 8 rebounds, and 6 blocks per game he was instrumental in ‘Oak Hill Academy’ getting to a 38 – 0 record. He was almost set to join ‘Indiana University’ for college but quit to end up in the ‘2004 NBA Draft’.
- Josh Smith was picked 17th overall in the ‘2004 NBA Draft’ by the ‘Atlanta Hawks’. In his rookie season (2004 – 2005), he justified his pick by averaging 9.7 points and 6.2 rebounds per game. By 2007, he became the youngest player in ‘NBA’ history to make more than 500 career blocks.
- He was offered a contract on August 8, 2008, by the ‘Memphis Grizzlies’. He, however, chose to stay with the ‘Atlanta Hawks’ until 2013. On February 2, 2010, he recorded more than 1000 blocks, becoming the youngest player to do so.
- In the ‘2011 – 2012’ season, Josh Smith delivered his career-best performance by averaging 18.8 points and 9.6 rebounds per game. He ended his stint with the ‘Atlanta Hawks’ after the ‘2012 – 2013’ season, averaging 15.4 points per game.
- The ‘Detroit Pistons’ signed him to a record US $54 million deal for four years on July 10, 2013. He had an immensely successful first season (2013 – 2014) averaging 16.4 points, 6.8 rebounds, and 1.4 blocks per game.
- In spite of a successful first season, ‘Detroit Pistons’ inexplicably waived him off on December 22, 2014. He was still averaging 13.1 points, a career-best 4.7 assists, and 7.2 rebounds per game in the ‘2014 – 2015’ season.
- ‘Houston Rockets’ signed Josh Smith on December 26, 2014. He ended his stint with them after the ‘2014 – 2015’ season, averaging 12 points, 1.2 blocks, and 6.0 rebounds per game.
- Smith played for the ‘Los Angeles Clippers’ from 2015 until 2016, after signing a one-year deal on July 16, 2015. He had a disappointing season, averaging 5.7 points, 1.1 blocks, and 3.9 rebounds per game.
- For the ‘2015 – 2016’ ‘NBA’ season, Josh was traded back to the ‘Houston Rockets’. He played 23 games for them, averaging 6.6 points, 0.6 blocks, and 2.9 rebounds per game.
- After ‘Houston Rockets’ let him go in 2016, Josh Smith signed a US $1.5 million contract, with the ‘Sichuan Blue Whales’. As part of the ‘Chinese Basketball Association’ team for three months, he registered an average of 18.8 points, 10.6 rebounds, and 2 blocks per game.
- Smith signed with the Israeli team, ‘Maccabi Haifa B.C.’ on September 28, 2017. Then on October 28, 2017, Josh joined the ‘New Orleans Pelicans’. He played only three games for them in the ‘2017 – 2018’ season and was waived off on November 10, 2017.
- Josh started playing in the ‘Big3’ basketball league in March 2019. He is currently training to make a comeback to the NBA.
- Josh Smith was part of the ‘McDonald’s All-American’ team and selected for the ‘Parade All-American’ first team in 2004.
- In 2005, he made the ‘NBA All-Rookie Second Team’. In 2010, he was selected for the ‘NBA All-Defensive Second Team’.
- Josh Smith married Alexandra Lopez on July 31, 2010. The couple has three children together, sons Joss and Jett, and daughter Genesis.
- In June 2019, he filed for divorce, citing their marriage has irretrievably broken. However, weeks later, both parties canceled the proceedings and even celebrated their wedding anniversary in July.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed