Jorge Garcia Biography
Girlfriend: Bethany Leigh Shady
Sun Sign: Taurus
Born Country: United States
Born in: Omaha, Nebraska, United States
Famous as: Actor
father: Humberto Garcia
mother: Dora Mesa
U.S. State: Nebraska
City: Omaha, Nebraska
education: University of California, Los Angeles, San Clemente High School
Jorge Garcia is an American actor and a standup comedian of Cuban and Chilean descent. Garcia got his big break after the release of the 2004 American television drama series, ‘Lost’. He was portrayed as Hugo "Hurley" Reyes, a character which the producers created specifically for him. Along with the ‘Lost’ cast he received a Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series, in 2006. He last appeared in ‘Running Out of Time’, a 2018 Hollywood thriller. He is famous for his big body and long curly hair in the Hollywood industry. Jorge Garcia is a part of a charity effort called Best Buddies Hawaii which helps people with disabilities. He currently co-hosts ‘Kaiju Podcast’ with Ralph Apel.
- Jorge Garcia graduated from the University of California Los Angeles in 1995 with a degree in Communication Studies. Following his college education, he began auditioning for television roles while he worked for ‘Borders Books and Music’, an international book and music retailer. He also took up acting lessons at the Beverly Hills Playhouse acting school. He landed a few commercials during the time and he was later quoted saying that his first street recognition came from a commercial called Jack in the box which was broadcast frequently on local television.
- He officially launched his acting career in 1997 and began attracting several television roles and commercials gigs. His first notable role was in the series ‘Becker’ in 2003 where he was cast as Hector Lopez. He appeared in 13 episodes in the series.
- His path to fame began when he was cast as Hurley in the mystery series, ‘Lost’, which follows a group of people who get trapped in a mysterious island after their plane crashed. The dark-haired actor’s character in the series was written into the script after the producers got charmed watching him in an American comedy television series, ‘Curb your Enthusiasm’ and he became the first actor to be cast in ‘Lost’. He appeared in 118 of the 121episodes of the series.
- While acting in ‘Lost’, Jorge Garcia landed on the cast of several movies including ‘Little Athens ‘(2005), ‘Deck the Halls’ (2006), and ‘Sweetzer’ (2007). He also began a blog about Lost, ‘Dispatches of the Island’ and also hosted ‘Geronimo Jack’s Beard’, a weekly podcast that revolved around season 6 of Lost.
- After the completion of ‘Lost’ in 2010, he made guest appearances in ‘How I Met Your Mother’ and ‘Fringe’. He was cast in the Fox series ‘Alcatraz’(2012) for a brief period, however, the show had to shut up shop due to low ratings. In 2013, he portrayed Apple engineer, Steve Wozniak in the parody film ‘iSteve’. During the same year, he began acting as a guest star for the series ‘Hawaii Five-0’. His character evolved into one of the main characters in Season 5.
- In 2015, he appeared in the Netflix movie ‘Ridiculous 6’ starring Adam Sandler. In 2016 , he was cast in an American comedy film ‘Get a Job’. He was last featured in the movie ‘Running Out of Time’ in 2018. He currently hosts the Kaiju podcast, a bi-weekly podcast about movies with giant monsters, along with Ralph Apel.
- Jorge Garcia was born on April 28, 1973, to Dora Mesa, a Cuban-born professor, and Humberto Garcia, a Chilean-born doctor in Omaha, Nebraska. He was brought up in San Juan Capistrano in Orange County, California. He took up wrestling in high school, and got the nickname "Baby-Faced Killer". As a senior, he was chosen as the "Triton of the Year", the highest award given to a graduating senior.
- Between 2004 and 2006, he was in a relationship with Malia Hansen. He began dating ‘Lost’ co-star and novelist, Bethany Leigh Shady, in 2007. She also co-hosted Geronimo Jack’s beard with Garcia. They appeared in numerous red carpet events and posted pictures on social media. They were together until 2013 but soon vanished from media platforms.
- Jorge Garcia is a big fan of dogs and music. He once worked at a record store, however, he quit when a new rule required him to cut his long curly hair.He is popular for his weight in the industry. Even though he lost weight for the series Lost, he gained it all back. He then adopted a diet called ‘Nooch’ but didn't work out. A look at his blog shows that he whipped up his own smoothies for breakfast as a health measure.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed