Sun Sign: Pisces
Also Known As: Jhene Aiko Efuru Chilombo
Born in: Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Famous as: Singer
Height: 1.57 m
Spouse/Ex-: Dot da Genius (m. 2014)
father: Dr. Karamo Chilombo
mother: Christina Yamamoto
siblings: Dio Chilombo (Sister), Jahi Chilombo (Brother), Kareena Chilombo (Sister), Marcia Chilombo (Sister), Mila J (Sister), Miyagi Hasani Ayo Chilombo (Brother), Miyoko Chilombo (Sister)
U.S. State: California
Net worth: $500,000 as Jun 26, 2017
awards: BET Centric Award
Jhene Aiko is an American R&B singer and songwriter famous for her mix tape 'Sailing Soul(s)', released through her website in 2011. She started her musical career in her early teens as a vocalist for the R&B group B2K. She was introduced as a “cousin” of B2K rapper Lil' Fizz, which was a false promotional tactic to attract the audience. Her musical hits include 'Sail Out', 'The Worst', 'Uh Huh' and ' Why I Love You'. In 2002, she debuted as a playback singer through B2K for the soundtrack of the film 'The Master of Disguise' by contributing vocals to the song 'Cherry Pie'. She also appeared in her former boyfriend O'Ryan's debut video 'Take It Slow'. Her music majorly covers the genres R&B, Hip-Hop, and Rap. Her single '3:16 AM' which she released through pioneer music publishing house A&R catapulted her career to new heights after it was made available for digital download on iTunes. The year 2013 had something special in store for Jhene Aiko. Her vocal skills drew international recognition when she joined Canadian rapper Drake to contribute to his album 'Nothing Was the Same'. In May, 2014, her single 'The worst' reached the No.1 spot in US Billboard R&B /Hip-Hop-Airplay category and reached the 11th position in Hot R&B /Hip-Hop songs. In 2015 she was nominated for the Grammy Awards in three categories.
- Born on 16th March 1988, in Los Angeles, California, USA, Jhene Aiko Efuru Chilombo was raised in a middle class family with four siblings. Her pediatrician father, Dr. Karamo Chilombo (né Gregory Wycliff Barnes) is of Afro-American and German descent. Her mother Christina Yamamoto is of half-Japanese and Spanish descent.Her siblings were sisters Jamilia Akiko Mila Chilombo and Miyoko Chilombo, and brothers Miyagi Hasani Ayo Chilombo (deceased) and Jahi Chilombo.Her childhood memories about the horrific 1992 LA Riots which began in support of police brutality victim Rodney King in California are still fresh in her mind. The violence left more than 50 people dead and 2000 injured.Jhene Aiko kindled a minor controversy in her school when she was just eight years old and taught her classmates the meaning of the lyrics of Lil' Kim's raunchy album 'Hardcore'.Her parents divorced when she was young. She then stayed in the company of her mother and siblings. She also has three half siblings from her father's side named Dio Chilombo, Kareena Chilombo, and Marcia Chilombo. Because of her mixed ethnicity she was teased by her fellow classmates and preferred to be homeschooled.Her elder sisters Jamila and Miyoko were already established singers in the R&B musical group 'Gyrl'. This helped her to showcase her singing talents to producer Chris Stokes at the age of five.Jhene started to write rap songs at the age of seven. Apart from music she also had a passion for writing in her school days.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- Jhene Aiko was raised in a family with a musical background. Her elder sisters Jamila and Miyoko had already started their musical careers when Jhene was a little girl. Jhene herself became a part of the band B2K and signed with Epic Music at the age of twelve. She sang for B2K's debut video album 'Uh Huh' released in 2002, which won the 'BET Award for Viewer's Choice'.In 2003, she tried to launch her debut musical album, 'My Name is Jhene' through Sony, The Ultimate Group, and Epic. But due to some differences with Epic Music, she had to drop her venture. Thus she retired from Epic in order to pursue her education.After finishing her studies, she again returned to music in 2011 by releasing her first mixtape 'Sailing Soul(s)', which featured artists like Drake, Kayne West and Miguel.From then on, there was no looking back for Jhene. The next year, American Hip-Hop and R&B record producer Ernest Dion Wilson a.k.a. No I.D. signed Jhene with Artium record imprints through Def Jam.In November 2013, she released her first EP 'Sail Out', which reached the No.1 spot on the R&B chart. The next year, in March, she joined rapper Big Sean for a collaboration album titled ' Twenty88'.In 2016, she released her single 'Maniac' from her new upcoming album set to be released in 2017. She appeared in 6LACK's new seductive release 'First F*ck' in February 2017.She announced that she has worked hard from the last few years on her new project slated to release in 2017. The upcoming album will feature a new genre of music this time, very different from its predecessors’ styles.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Major Works
- Jhene Aiko’s debut EP 'Sail Out', through Def Jam reached No.1 spot on R&B chart. Most of the songs were written by her. It was nominated by Grammy for Best Urban Contemporary Album. Also, the World Music Award nominated it for World's Best Album.Her another major work is 'Souled Out' released in 2014 by Def Jam. The album reached No. 3 spot on Billboard and sold 70,000 copies in the first week of its release. The musical style of this album is versatile, combining elements from different genres. The lyrics are not so closely woven, but combined with the melodious tunes, they create an everlasting impression of pain, sorrow, aggression, and emptiness on the audience.Awards & Achievements
- Jhene Aiko’s single 'The Worst' was accredited platinum by Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). The single also won BET Awards’ Centric Award in 2014.In February 2015, she was nominated for the Grammy Awards in three Categories.Personal Life & Legacy
- Jhene Aiko had an affair with B2K singer Omarion's brother O'Ryan from 2005 to 2008.The duo had a daughter named Namiko Love in November 2008, who is raised single-handedly by Jhene. She discontinued her musical career for a short while due to her daughter but again resumed in 2011.As a young single parent, her life is not easy but she works very hard to make both ends meet. In addition to being a successful musician, she is a competent mother who takes care of her daughter with considerable parenting skills.Later on she had an affair with producer Dot Da Genius and got married in fall 2015. They revealed their secret marriage in March 2016. In August 2016, she filed for a divorce.She felt awfully distressed when her brother Miyagi died from brain tumor at the age of twenty-six in July 2012. She dedicated to him the song 'For My Brother' before his death.She is a pure vegetarian and an ardent animal lover. She supported PETA's (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) anti- fur campaign ' Drop the Fur' by posing nude in December 2016. She observes that she would go nude rather than wearing fur which comes by killing animals.
How To CiteArticle Title- Jhené Aiko BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/jhen-aiko-14805.phpLast Updated- July 27, 2017
People Also Viewed