Jack Scanlon Biography
Jack Scanlon is an English former child artist. He is known for his role as ‘Shmuel’ in the historical tragedy Holocaust film ‘The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.’ Born and raised in Kent, England, he first appeared in an episode of ‘The Peter Serafinowicz Show.’ After working in a short film, he was cast in the role of ‘Shmuel’ in ‘The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.’ This was followed by appearances in the BBC One miniseries ‘Runaway’ and then the ITV series ‘Married Single Other.’ Presently, he is studying commercial music at ‘Bath Spa University.’ Reportedly, Scanlon has changed his name to ‘Jack Whitby’ and is pursuing a career in music. He is also a singer and songwriter, and plays guitar and bass with other groups. Scanlon resides with his parents and brother in Deal, Kent.
- Scanlon was born on August 6, 1998, in Canterbury, Kent, England. He has a younger brother. He studied at ‘Sir Roger Manwood’s School,’ Sandwich, Kent. Presently, he is studying commercial music at ‘Bath Spa University.’
- In 2007, Scanlon enacted various roles in an episode of ‘Peter Serafinowicz Show.’ In December 2007, she starred in the role of ‘Benjamin’ in Abi Draper’s short film ‘Eye of the Butterfly.’ This 6-minute drama film was about the relationship between a young boy, Benjamin, and his grandfather.
- His work in this short film was noticed by the casting director of ‘The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas’; Jack appeared for the audition for the role of ‘Shmuel, the Jew boy,’ through his drama club. Director Mark Herman selected three candidates, including Scanlon, and took a final audition of each one with Asa Butterfield (who played the main character). The director found Jack as a perfect match to pair with Butterfield. This is how the 2008 Holocaust movie ‘The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas’ became Scanlon’s debut feature film.
- in 2009, Scanlon played the role of ‘Dean,’ the younger brother of the main character, ‘Sean,’ in BBC One children’s miniseries ‘Runaway.’ This miniseries was a part of children’s TV brand, CBBC’s project about homelessness.
- In 2009, Scanlon also appeared as himself in a short video documentary ‘Friendship Beyond the Fence.’ In 2010, he played the part of ‘Joe’ in 6 episodes of the drama series ‘Married Single Other,’ where he worked alongside Ralf Little.
- Jack has reportedly taken up the name ‘Jack Whitby’; he is presently pursuing a career in the field of music. He performs as a solo singer and songwriter, and plays guitar and bass with music groups.
- Jack resides in Deal, Kent, with his parents and brother.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed