Hunter Schafer Biography
Hunter Schafer is an American LGBT rights activist, fashion model, and actress. She is best known for playing Jules Vaughn in teen drama TV series titled ‘Euphoria.’ Based on the Israeli mini-series of the same name, ‘Euphoria’ premiered on ‘HBO’ on June 16, 2019. Before landing the role of Jules, Schafer worked as a fashion model. She has modeled for popular brands such as ‘Miu Miu,’ ‘Helmut Lang,’ ‘Versus Versace,’ and ‘Dior.’ She has also opened for Alice McCall at ‘New York Fashion Week.’ Schafer has appeared on the cover page of many popular magazines, including ‘Teen Vogue’ and ‘Paper.’ ‘Teen Vogue’ magazine mentioned her on its ‘21 Under 21’ list. Hunter Schafer has been represented by modeling agencies such as ‘Premier Model Management,’ ‘Oui Management,’ and ‘Elite Model Management.’
- Hunter Schafer was born in 1999 in Raleigh, North Carolina, USA, to Katy and Mac Schafer. Her father serves as a pastor at ‘Hudson Memorial Presbyterian Church’ in Raleigh, North Carolina. Schafer was raised in Raleigh, along with her three younger siblings.
- While studying in high school in 2016, she became a plaintiff in the lawsuit against ‘the bathroom bill’ (North Carolina House Bill 2) which required people in North Carolina to use restrooms in accordance with their sex assigned at birth. Apart from being a plaintiff in the lawsuit, she also published an essay, criticizing the bill and detailing her own experience as a transgender woman. After graduating from high school in 2017, Schafer moved to New York City to establish a career in fashion modeling.
- Hunter Schafer started her modeling career with the ‘New York Fashion Week.’ She then started modeling for brands such as ‘Dior,’ ‘Tommy Hilfiger,’ ‘Miu Miu,’ ‘Versus Versace,’ ‘Maison Margiela,’ and ‘Helmut Lang.’ She also landed opportunities to work with famous fashion designers like Rick Owens, Vera Wang, Marc Jacobs, Ann Demeulemeester, and Emilio Pucci among other popular designers. Meanwhile, she was also featured in popular magazines like ‘Teen Vogue,’ which granted her an interview with Hillary Clinton after mentioning her on its ‘21 Under 21’ list.
- Schafer’s popularity increased in 2019, when she was cast to play Jules Vaughn in the teen drama TV series ‘Euphoria.’ In the series, she can be seen alongside actress and singer Zendaya, who plays Jules’ friend Rue Bennett. Despite her new-found fame as an actress, Schafer maintains that she would love to continue working as a fashion model. She also aspires to collaborate with her fashion idols.
- Hunter Schafer transitioned from male to female when she was in her freshman year of high school. In one of her interviews, she said that she knew about her sexuality right from her childhood. She came out as gay to her parents when she was in her seventh grade. While studying in the ninth grade, she was diagnosed with genetic dysphoria as she became anxious about her gender identity during puberty. As a transgender woman, Schafer voices her opinion on issues pertaining to LGBT rights. She has a strong following on social media platforms, including Instagram, where she has more than 40,000 followers. She currently lives in the United States of America.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed