Gina Torres Biography
Sun Sign: Taurus
Born Country: United States
Born in: Manhattan, New York, United States
Famous as: Actress
Spouse/Ex-: Laurence Fishburne (m. 2002–2018)
father: Richard, Richard Torres
mother: Rebecca, Rebecca Torres
children: Delilah Fishburne
City: New York City
U.S. State: New Yorkers
education: Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts
Gina Torres is a versatile Cuban-American actress who is popularly known for playing the fierce boardroom executive ‘Jessica Pearson’ in the legal drama series ‘Suits’. Torres is a very well-known face in the television industry as she has appeared in over 50 television shows, playing a significant number of major roles. She has appeared in shows like ‘Cleopatra 2525’, ‘Alias’, and ‘Any Day Now’ in important roles. The ALMA Award-winner is much respected by her peers and the audience for taking up a variety of unconventional roles and doing perfect justice to her portrayal of complicated characters. Apart from having a brilliant career on television, Gina Torres also has a prominent presence in films. After making her debut with the movie ‘Field of Roses,’ she appeared in ‘The Matrix’ franchise as ‘Cas’ and ‘I Think I Love My Wife’. She has also voiced the character of ‘Superwoman’ in ‘Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths.’ The multi-talented personality is a singer as well and has been trained in opera and jazz.
- Gina Torres was born on April 25, 1969, in Manhattan, New York City, to Richard Torres and Rebecca Torres. She grew up with her two siblings in the Bronx. She took classes on jazz music as well as the opera.
- Torres attended Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts. She later got accepted by a few colleges but couldn’t afford her college fees. Thus, she decided to venture into a career in the show business.
- Gina Torres started her career on television with small roles in shows like ‘Law & Order’ and appeared in a couple of television films like ‘M.A.N.T.I.S.’ and ‘Dark Angel’ in the early 1990s.
- In the late 1990s, she played a few guest roles on shows like ‘The Gregory Hines Show’, ‘Xena: Warrior Princess’, ‘Hercules: The Legendary Journeys’, and ‘La Femme Nikita’.
- In 2000, Torres received her first main role in ‘Cleopatra 2525’, a science fiction show, where she portrayed the character of ‘Helen 'Hel' Carter’. For her impressive acting, Torres received the ALMA Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Syndicated Drama Series in 2001.
- She appeared in ‘Alias’ and ‘Any Day Now’ before picking up one of the main roles, ‘Zoe Washburne’, in the space drama series ‘Firefly’. She was offered the role of ‘Jasmine’, one of the main roles in the show ‘Angel’. The show was a spin-off of the supernatural show ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’.
- In the show ‘24’, she appeared as ‘Julia Milliken’ in the third season in 2004 and provided the voice of ‘Vixen / Mari McCabe’ in the animated show ‘Justice League Unlimited’ (2004-06). Between 2006 and 2007, Torres played another main role, ‘Cheryl Carrera’, in the drama series ‘Standoff’.
- In the late 2000s, Torres played a few special roles in shows like ‘Boston Legal’, ‘Criminal Minds’, ‘Gossip Girl’, and ‘The Vampire Diaries’. She also had a good run in the show ‘Huge’ as ‘Dorothy Rand’ before voicing the character of ‘Airachnid’ in the animated show ‘Transformers: Prime’ for three seasons.
- Torres played the biggest role of her career between 2011 and 2018 in the legal drama series ‘Suits’. Her portrayal of the fierce and arrogant character ‘Jessica Pearson’ earned her much acclaim from the industry experts. She appeared in 94 episodes and received multiple nominations at different award shows.
- Gina Torres played important roles in shows like ‘Hannibal’, ‘Star Wars Rebels’ (voice), ‘Westworld’, and ‘Star Wars Forces of Destiny’ in the 2010s. She has been playing the lead character in the spin-off show ‘Pearson’ since 2019.
- Gina Torres has had a fair run on the silver screen since her debut in 1996. However, it took her seven more years to find another role. She was offered the role of ‘Cas’ in an instalment of ‘The Matrix’ sci-fi action film franchise, ‘The Matrix Reloaded,’ in 2003. She also appeared in films like ‘Serenity’, ‘Five Fingers’, and ‘South of Pico’.
- Torres played one of the lead roles, ‘Brenda Cooper’, in the rom-com ‘I Think I Love My Wife’ (2007) alongside Chris Rock, Kerry Washington, and Steve Buscemi.
- Gina Torres appeared in the show ‘Angel’ in the recurring role of ‘Jasmine’ in the fourth season (2003). Her performance earned her a lot of praise from the critics. She was nominated at the Golden Satellite Award for the Best Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Drama, in 2004.
- She received multiple awards and nominations for her role of ‘Jessica Pearson’ in the TV series ‘Suits.’ She won an Imagen Foundation Award from three nominations and also received a nomination at the ALMA Awards for her role. Torres portrayed a very fierce and strong-willed board room executive in the show.
- Gina Torres was married to Laurence John Fishburne III for almost 16 years (from 2002 to 2018) before they got divorced. The couple has a daughter together, named Delilah Fishburne, who was born in 2007.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed