Gillian Jacobs Biography
Sun Sign: Libra
Also Known As: Gillian MacLaren Jacob
Born in: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Famous as: Actress
father: William F. Jacobs Jr
mother: Martina Magenau Jacobs
U.S. State: Pennsylvania
City: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Gillian Jacobs is a popular American actress well-known as Britta Perry from the comedy series ‘Community’ jointly produced by NBC and Yahoo! Screen. She currently appears in the role of Mickey Dobbs in ‘Love’, a Netflix series. Gillian Jacobs began her acting career with theatre at the age of eight and appeared as Titania in the theatrical adaptation of Shakespeare’s ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’. She made her film debut with the 2005 film ‘Building Girl’ and debuted on television in 2006 in the role of Adele Congreve in three episodes of the popular series ‘The Book of Daniel’. Jacobs’ most memorable role until date remains the role of CJ in the 2010 film ‘Nonames’, which brought huge laurels for her acting as well as the Method Fest Award in the Best Actress category.
- Gillian Jacobs was born on 19 October 1982 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US. Her father, William F. Jacobs Jr., is an investment banker and her mother, Martina Magenau Jacobs, is an alumni relations officer at Carnegie Mellon University. She is an alumnus of Mt. Lebanon High School, Pennsylvania, and Juilliard School, New York. Gillian Jacobs holds a bachelor’s degree in fine arts.
- She began acting at a young age by attending acting classes at the Pittsburgh Playhouse on weekends. Jacobs made her acting debut portraying the role of Titania in Pittsburgh Public Theater’s stage adaptation of Shakespeare’s ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’.
- In 2006, Gillian Jacobs appeared in ‘Cagelove’, an off-Broadway production. The play received negative reviews from all quarters though all reviews appreciated the acting talent of Gillian Jacobs.
- Her big break came in the form of ‘Community’ in 2009, wherein she played the role of Britta Perry for 119 episodes until curtains came down on the show. Gillian Jacobs ended up signing the HBO series ‘Girls’ in the recurring role as Mimi-Rose Howard.
- Jacobs also appeared in a few web series starting with ‘Don Cheadle is Captain Planet’ in 2011 followed by ‘The Book Club’ in 2012 and ‘Tiny Commando’ in 2013.
- In 2015, Gillian Jacobs directed a short documentary titled ‘The Queen of Code’ about Grace Hopper, a rear admiral in the US Navy and a computer scientist, who ushered in the digital era.
- Gillian Jacobs’ other prominent film appearances include ‘Gardens of the Night’ in 2008, ‘The Box’ in 2009, ‘Helena from the Wedding’ in 2010, ‘Seeking a Friend for the End of the World’ in 2012, ‘Made in Cleveland’ in 2013, ‘The Lookalike’ in 2014, ‘Hot Tub Time Machine 2’ in 2015, ‘Don’t Think Twice’ in 2016 and ‘Lemon in 2017.
- Her movies ‘Magic Camp’ and ‘Life of the Party’ are currently in post-production stage and will release in 2018.
- After ‘Community’, Jacobs made several appearances in episodic roles in various television series. Her role in the series ‘Girls’ and ‘Love’ garnered her acclaim from audience and critics alike.
- Gillian Jacobs’ first award came through in 2010 when she won in the Best Actress Category in the Method Fest Awards for her role of CJ in ‘Nonames’. Her award spree continued with Best Ensemble Acting and Acting Achievement awards at the Phoenix Film Festival Awards ceremony.
- In 2012, she was nominated for the ‘Best Comedy Supporting Actress’ at the Critics' Choice Television Award, but won an award in the Favorite Ensemble category at the TV Guide Awards.
- Her parents divorced when she was just two, and she grew up with her mother. She now lives in East Los Angeles.
- She wishes to reprise the role of the bold reporter Hildy Johnson from the 1940 movie ‘His Girl Friday’, a role made memorable by Rosalind Russell.
- She is a complete teetotaler and has never ever done drugs. According to her, reading the novel ‘Go Ask Alice’ inspired her to make a conscious decision to always stay away from alcohol and drug consumption.
- Her mother nicknamed her ‘Bubby’ after the football player Bubby Brister.
Gillian Jacobs Movies
1. Gardens of the Night (2008)
2. Don't Think Twice (2016)
3. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (2012)
(Romance, Adventure, Comedy, Sci-Fi, Drama)
4. Black or White (2014)
5. Choke (2008)
6. Solitary Man (2009)
(Romance, Drama, Comedy)
7. Life Partners (2014)
8. Dean (2016)
(Comedy, Drama, Romance)
How To Cite
People Also Viewed