Elsa hosk Biography
Sun Sign: Scorpio
Also Known As: Elsa Anna Sofie Hosk
Born in: Stockholm
Famous as: Model
father: Pål Hosk
mother: Marja Hosk
siblings: Johan Hosk, Lukas Hosk
City: Stockholm, Sweden
Elsa Hosk is a Swedish model and a ‘Victoria’s Secret Angel.’ Born and raised in Stockholm, Sweden, she was encouraged to build a career in modeling by her father. He sent her photos to various modeling agencies when Elsa was still a teenager. Elsa started modeling at the age of 14 and continued modeling throughout high school. Initially, however, Elsa prioritized her academics and her love for basketball. She had once aspired to build a career in women’s basketball, but eventually began modeling seriously. She then moved to New York City for better career prospects. Soon, she started receiving modeling offers. One of them was for a ‘Guess’ campaign, which required her to be photographed by Ellen von Unwerth. Elsa has been walking the ramp for ‘Victoria’s Secret’ since 2011 and has also modeled for brands such as ‘Dior,’ ‘Free People,’ ‘Dolce & Gabbana,’ ‘Lilly Pulitzer,’ and ‘Ungaro.’ In 2015, she became one of the 10 new ‘Victoria’s Secret Angels.’
- Elsa Hosk was born in Stockholm, Sweden, on November 7, 1988, to Swedish father Pål and Finnish mother Marja. She grew up with two brothers. Her family loved sports, and Elsa, who was a tomboy, was no exception. As a child, she devoted most of her time to sports, of which basketball was her favorite.
- Owing to her love for outdoor sports, Elsa grew up to have an athletic build. This led her father to get her photographed and make her audition for modeling jobs. Initially, Elsa was not too keen on making a career in modeling. She wished to play basketball and make a career in the game instead.
- Her parents continued to support her. Her father even put up a basket in the neighborhood to help Elsa practice. At one time, she practiced all day. She would even skip school at times, just to get enough practice. Eventually, she got better at the game and joined a local team called ‘Zero-Eights.’
- Her photos were shortlisted by a few agencies, and at the age of 14, Elsa took up modeling as a part-time job. She was serious about academics and basketball and modeled just for fun, without ever imagining a concrete future in the field.
- Once she graduated from high school and became determined about a career in basketball, she came to know about the pathetic situation of women’s basketball in the country. After a few more months of struggle, she decided to give it up for good and ventured into modeling again. Soon, she found it difficult to divide time between basketball and modeling. She chose the latter, as it provided her an opportunity to travel around the world.
- Initially, she modeled for a few local Swedish brands, and on one of the early modeling assignments, she was sent to Japan. The Japanese are known to be highly punctual and hardworking. Being a young model, Elsa was made to work rigorously. At times, she even worked three jobs a day. She recalls that experience as one of the foundation stones of her career.
- After modeling for a few more years in Sweden, she moved to New York City, where she was offered a contract by ‘IMG Models,’ one of the biggest modeling agencies in the US. She was then hired as a model for ‘Guess’ and ‘Ugg,’ two of the biggest fashion brands in the world. Most fashion pundits claim that Elsa became famous only after walking the ramp for ‘Victoria’s Secret.’ However, Elsa believes working with the legendary photographer Ellen von Unwerth has been the most important learning experience of her entire career.
- Working with Ellen helped Elsa attain new heights in her career, as it brought her numerous offers to walk the ramp and to campaign for some of the biggest fashion houses of the country. She appeared on many magazine covers and editorials during her initial modeling days in New York. She ended up doing photo shoots and campaigns for brand such as ‘Dior,’ ‘Dolce & Gabbana,’ ‘Ungaro,’ ‘Lilly Pulitzer,’ and ‘H&M.’
- She was at the peak of her career when she was approached by ‘Victoria’s Secret,’ one of the most renowned fashion houses in the world, and walked the ramp for them in 2011.
- Since 2011, Elsa has appeared for each and every fashion show of the brand and has worked with some of the most accomplished fashion designers in the world. Apart from walking the ramp, Elsa has appeared in many of the brand’s campaigns over the years. She is one of the brand ambassadors of ‘PINK,’ a sub-division of ‘Victoria’s Secret.’
- ‘Models.com’ has placed Elsa at the fifteenth spot on their ‘Top Sexiest Models’ list. In 2015, she was promoted to become one of the new ‘Victoria’s Secret Angels,’ a highly regarded honor in the modeling arena. In 2016, she opened the ‘Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show.’
- Elsa Hosk’s love for basketball has not subsided despite the fact that she does not get enough free time to play. She picks up a basketball whenever she is free.
- Elsa has shown her support for ‘FAIR Girls,’ an organization that works against human trafficking.
- The 2013 ‘Disney’ film ‘Frozen’ featured a character named ‘Elsa,’ which was reportedly modeled on Elsa Hosk. Elsa has denied such claims though.
- One of her cousins, Alice Herbst, is also a model.
- Elsa has been dating British businessman Tom Daly since 2015.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed