Eilish McColgan Biography
Sun Sign: Sagittarius
Born in: Dundee
Famous as: Athlete
father: Peter McColgan
mother: Liz McColgan
siblings: Eamonn McColgan, Kieran McColgan, Martin McColgan, Orla McColgan
City: Dundee, Scotland
Notable Alumni: University Of Dundee
education: University of Dundee
Eilish McColgan is a Scottish middle-distance runner who represented Great Britain at the 2012 and 2016 Olympic Games. She also represented Scotland at the Commonwealth Games in 2014 and 2018. She won the silver medal at the 2018 European Athletics Championships in Berlin in the 5000 metres. The daughter of famous athletes, Liz and Peter McColgan, Eilish is coached by her mother, a former Olympic silver medalist and 10,000 metres World Champion. Under her mother’s able guidance, Eilish has achieved much recognition as a middle-distance runner. She works hard to create a name for herself, away from the shadows of her much renowned parents. Today, she is inspiring millions of young women and encourages them to achieve their goals with hard work and determination. Eilish is a well-educated woman as well; she studied mathematics and accountancy at University of Dundee before embarking on a full-time career as an athlete.
- In 2006, Eilish McColgan ran in the 1500 metres race at the Scottish School's Championships and won the silver medal. She also took the bronze at the International Under-17s Schools Championships. The following year, she finished at the fifth place in the Scottish Senior Championships. Soon after, she competed in the 1500 metres at Scottish Indoor Championships in 2008 and won the bronze.
- McColgan was chosen to participate in the 2008 Commonwealth Youth Games. However, she couldn’t compete because of a knee injury. Her subsequent foot injury also forced her to skip the 2011 World Championships. Her senior debut for Great Britain came in Stockholm, Sweden at the 2011 European Team Championships. The middle-distance runner was initially called upon as a travelling reserve; she was later selected for the 3000 metres steeplechase in which she finished ninth. McColgan took the silver in the 5000 metres at the UK Outdoor Championships in 2011. She became a gold medalist in the 1500 metres at the 2011 Scottish University Championships.
- McColgan won two gold medals after finishing first in the 1500 and 3000 metres events at the 2012 Scottish Universities Indoor Championships. She then went on to confirm her qualification for the steeplechase at the 2012 Summer Olympics by winning the British trials in a time of 9 minutes 56.90 seconds. By achieving this feat, she became the only athlete to finish the race in less than ten minutes. After achieving Olympic qualification, the Scottish runner chose not to participate at the 2012 European Athletics Championships. She went on to represent Great Britain at 2012 Summer Olympics in the women's 3000 metres steeplechase. However, she did not make it to the finals this time. She participated in the 2016 Summer Olympics as well and made it to the finals.
- She won the bronze in the 3000 meters at the European Indoor Championships held in Belgrade in 2017. In the 5000 metres track event at the 2018 European Athletics Championships, McColgan won the silver. In 2018, she also won the Great South Run in Portsmouth, finishing at 54:43.
- Eilish McColgan was born on 25 November 1990 in Dundee, Scotland, to Peter and Liz McColgan. She has four siblings: Orla, Martin, Kieran, and Eamonn. She attended University of Dundee where she studied mathematics and accountancy.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed