Dexter Keaton Biography
Dexter Keaton is the adopted daughter of Academy Award winning actress, Diane Keaton. Although Dexter gained fame for being the daughter of a celebrity mother, she is an accomplished woman in her own right. Dexter is an avid traveler and her joy of traveling and living life to its fullest can even be seen in the way she describes her motto of life, “Forget the risks and take the fall, if it's what you want, it's worth it all”. Dexter was adopted by actress, Diane Keaton, at the tender age of one. The circumstances leading to that are unknown and growing up, this had a deep impact on her psyche. However, instead of bitterness, it brought out kindness and an incredible joy for life, which is often reflected in her Instagram posts. She often uses the social networking platforms to give a glimpse into her humble lifestyle. She also posts throwback pictures with her mother, adopted brother, boyfriend, and of places she has traveled to, endearing her to one and all.
- Being an adopted child is not easy for anyone, especially in Hollywood, where it is common for celebrities to adopt. The constant media attention, intrusive questions about one’s past, and being hounded by paparazzi can be overwhelming for many. Dexter Keaton was thrust into this world after Oscar winning actress, Diane Keaton, adopted her in 1996, just one year after her birth. Diane, who was fifty years old at the time had never married or thought about children early in her life. It was her father’s death in 1990, that planted the seeds of a having a family. Being confronted by mortality, she decided to adopt as she found relationships very hard. In a later interview, Diane admitted, “I told myself I wanted to … but I didn't really want a man that I could have … I wanted the dream…”. This led to Dexter’s adoption in 1996.
- Dexter Keaton’s upbringing was very down to earth as Diane herself is known for her humble lifestyle. Of course, being a Hollywood legend doesn’t make it easy always, but Diane instilled the same beliefs in Dexter. After graduating from the ‘Notre Dame High School’ in Sherman Oaks, California, she went to study at ‘The University of Arizona’. She was able to maintain a low profile and never bragged about having a celebrity parent.
- Although she was very young when she was adopted, she remains very grateful to her mother Diane. Besides posting throwback pictures of her playing or swimming with her mother as a kid, she posted a recent image on Instagram with her mother on ‘Mother’s Day’, May 12, 2014. The image was captioned with a heartfelt dedication from Dexter which read, “Happy Mother's Day to my amazing momma! I’m so thankful to have been adopted by such a strong, beautiful, and talented woman. I couldn’t thank you enough for everything you’ve done for me.”
- Diane Keaton in recent times has admitted that being a single mother was not easy. However, growing up without a father figure in her life had no impact on Dexter as her mother’s guidance and love shaped her life. She and her brother Duke, both adopted by Diane are often seen appearing at red carpet events with their mother. This has brought considerable attention and fame to the young woman.
- Dexter prefers to stay away from the Hollywood limelight. As an avid traveler, she often posts images of places like Maui, London, Disneyland, etc. on her Instagram account, where she is also gaining followers for her wit and humor. Whether or not she will eventually follow in her mother’s footsteps into acting is a matter of conjecture, but right now, Dexter is enjoying living a normal life.
- Dexter Keaton was born in 1995 and was adopted by Diane Keaton in 1996. Her date of birth has not been revealed to the media for personal reasons. She has a younger brother Duke, who was born in 2000 and later adopted in 2001 by Diane Keaton. Her grandmother was Dorothy Diane Keaton (October 31, 1921 - September 18, 2008) and her grandfather, Jack Newton Ignatius Hall (1922 - September 1, 1990). Dexter went to the ‘Notre Dame High School’ in Sherman Oaks, California, in 2014. After graduation, she started going to The University of Arizona in Tucson, Arizona. She has been in a longtime relationship with boyfriend Daniel Wagner, who is often featured in her Instagram posts.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed