Born in a small Eastern European city in Poland, Daria was the youngest child of a tight-knit Ukrainian family. When she was just a young girl her adventurous father decided to relocate to Toronto, Canada. Along with her siblings and parents, Daria grew up passionate about sports, including sailing, hockey, basketball and rugby, and considered herself a rough and tumble tomboy. From an early age, friends and neighbors encouraged her to become a model, but Daria felt more attracted to painting and visual arts and only began modeling in earnest as a way to pay for school. After several false starts, Daria's career finally took off beginning a meteoric rise to fame, that has made her one of the Top 10 highest grossing supermodels for most of the past decade. Laid back, relaxed and confident in her athletic abilities, Daria is most comfortable sailing around the world or backpacking through a Peruvian jungle but has successfully parlayed her willowy, elfin looks to become one of the most successful supermodels of this millennium. Despite being a multi-millionaire many times over, Daria Werbowy is known for her casual, down-to-earth attitude and folksy demeanor, a sharp contrast to many of her fellow supermodels.
- Daria was born on November 19, 1983 in Krakow, Poland to Ukraininan parents named Daniel and Anna Werbowy. She has two siblings Orest and Oksana.In 1986, Daria's family moved to Mississauga near Toronto, Canada although none of them spoke any English.Daria is very close to her father, and considers him to be her best friend. She credits her father for encouraging her to work as a model after her first professional bookings were unsuccessful.As a young girl, her favorite activities were snowboarding, beach volleyball, ice hockey, rugby and basketball and she considered herself to be a quiet, solitary child who was very shy.She attended ‘Saint Sofia Ukrainian Catholic Elementary School’ followed by ‘Casthra Park Secondary School’ in Mississauga, where she studied visual arts.She was 5'11" (1.8 meters) by the time she was 14 years old, the same year that she performed her first work as a model.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- In 1998, a schoolmate's mother was the head of a Toronto-based modeling agency and Daria spent one year doing modeling work for her without much success.In 2001, she moved to New York City and began to work for ‘Elite Models’ but failed to achieve much traction. She then spent six months in Greece and other European countries but was unable to find any lucrative work as a model. The next year, she returned home to Canada and worked briefly as a sailing instructor.In 2003, her father encouraged her to give modeling another try and then her agent landed her a gig modeling for ‘Prada’, which was the start to her meteoric international career. In the same year, she appeared on five ‘Vogue Italy’ covers and did work for ‘Jil Sander’, ‘Prada’, ‘Alessandro D'Acqua’, ‘Nina Ricci’ and ‘Chloe’.She was the last model photographed by the legendary photographer Helmut Newton before his death in 2004.Throughout her career she has modeled for Alberta Ferretti, Alessandro Dell'Acqua, Alexander McQueen, Burberry, Calvin Klein, Christian Dior, D&G, DKNY, Dolce & Gabbana, Gucci, amongst other elite fashion brands.She has appeared on more than 150 magazine covers, including ‘Vogue’ (US, Italy, Spain, Japan, Korea, Portugal, Greece, Australia, Brazil), ‘Elle’, ‘Numero’, ‘Madame Figaro’, ‘Flare’, ‘Harper's Bazaar’ and ‘Fashion Toronto’.This famous model has worked with renowned fashion photographers such as Stephen Meisel, Juergen Teller, Ines van Lamsweerde, Vinoodh Matadin and Helmut Newton.In 2008, she took a break from her modeling career to sail across both the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea with her father, siblings and three friends. During the trip, she broke her foot when an engine fell on it, but returned to modeling later that year.In 2011, she went on a two-month backpacking expedition from Guatemala to Peru.Continue Reading BelowDaria continues to do modeling work and remains an official spokesperson for ‘Lancôme’.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Major Works
- Daria is best known for her work as a spokeswoman for ‘Lancôme’, a position that she has held for nearly a decade, the highlight of her long career as a Top 10 elite supermodel.Awards & Achievements
- Daria Werbowy was awarded a star on ‘Canada's Walk of Fame’ on September 6, 2008, one of just two models to receive this honor.She holds the records for opening the highest number of catwalk shows in a single season, 12.Personal Life & Legacy
- Daria remains intensely devoted to her family. To date, she has not married but has stated publicly that she intends to marry and raise a large family in the future.She currently lives in Cork, Ireland but maintains an apartment in New York City. Her current ambition is to sail solo around the world in the ‘Volvo Ocean Race’.Trivia
- This famous model’s last name Werbowy means ‘willow tree’ in Ukrainian.This famous model originally wanted to go to university to study art, and began modeling as a way to pay for her schooling.This famous personality is deeply devoted to Ashtanga yoga and practices it every day.This famous model owns three cats and a dog named Strawballz.
How To CiteArticle Title- Daria Werbowy BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/daria-werbowy-5714.phpLast Updated- November 06, 2017
People Also Viewed