Sun Sign: Cancer
Also Known As: Conor Anthony McGregor
Born in: Crumlin, Dublin, Republic of Ireland
Famous as: Mixed Martial Artist
Height: 1.75 m
father: Tony McGregor
mother: Margaret McGregor
siblings: Aoife McGregor, Erin McGregor
Conor McGregor is an Irish professional mixed martial artist who is currently signed with the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). He is presently the UFC Lightweight Champion and former UFC Featherweight Champion. Over the course of his career, he has competed as a featherweight, lightweight, and welterweight participant. Also a skilled professional boxer, he has achieved most of his victories due to knockouts or technical knockouts via punches. He started his mixed martial arts (MMA) career in 2008, and within a few years he won two titles—Cage Warriors Featherweight and Lightweight Championships, which he held simultaneously before he vacated them to sign with UFC. He is known for being the biggest pay-per-view draw in MMA history, and he lives an extravagant lifestyle. In 2016, he got into the Forbes top 100 highest paid athletes list—the first MMA fighter to do so—and ranked 85th in the list. He was injured during a bout with Max Holloway which kept him out of action for ten months. He has faced just three losses in his career till date. After winning the Lightweight Championship, he took some time off from UFC prior to the birth of his first child in May 2017.
- Conor McGregor was born on July 14, 1988 in Crumlin, Dublin, to Tony and Margaret McGregor. He has two sisters—Erin and Aoife.When Conor was 12, he began training in boxing at Crumlin Boxing Club under Phil Sutcliffe. During this period, he developed a passion for football as well and played for a local club.When he was 18, his family moved to Lucan, Dublin, where he attended an Irish-speaking school. Here he met future UFC fighter Tom Egan, and they started taking training in mixed martial arts (MMA).Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- On February 17, 2007, Conor McGregor made his debut in MMA for the Irish Ring of Truth in Dublin. It was an amateur fight against Kieran Campbell in which McGregor emerged victorious. Following his victory, he was signed by the Irish Cage of Truth.The following year, he started training under John Kavanagh at the Straight Blast Gym. He is left-handed and fights out of the Southpaw stance, but uses conventional stances as well.On March 9, 2008, he fought his first professional MMA bout, where he won against Gary Morris. Next he won against Mo Taylor.Although he lost his featherweight debut against Artemij Sitenkov, he won his next featherweight fight against Stephen Bailey. He also won his next fight against Connor Dillon, after which he moved back to lightweight and fought against Joseph Duffy, but lost the fight.Between 2011 and 2012, he won both the CWFC Featherweight and Lightweight championships, which made him the first European professional MMA to hold titles in two divisions simultaneously.In February 2013, UFC signed Conor to a multi-fight contract. On April 6, 2013, he made his UFC debut against Marcus Brimage. He won the bout, which earned him his first ‘Knockout of the Night’ award.At UFC Fight Night 26, Conor McGregor fought against Max Holloway, and was victorious. During the fight with Holloway, Conor had torn his anterior cruciate ligament, which required surgery. He was out of action for about ten months.Continue Reading BelowAfter his recovery, at UFC Fight Night 46 on July 19, 2014, he faced Diego Brandão in Dublin. He won the bout, and earned his first ‘Performance of the Night’ award.On September 27, 2014, after Conor signed a second multi-fight contract with UFC, he faced Dustin Poirier at UFC 178, and won the fight. It was Poirier's first UFC loss, and Conor earned his second ‘Performance of the Night’ award.On January 18, 2015, at UFC Fight Night 59, he faced Dennis Siver. About 13,828 people attended the bout. This victory earned Conor his third ‘Performance of the Night’ award.Now Conor was expected to face Aldo at UFC 189 for UFC Featherweight Championship. UFC spent huge money promoting the Aldo-McGregor fight. But suddenly, it was reported that Aldo had suffered a rib fracture and had pulled out of the fight. Conor was rescheduled to face Chad Mendes for the Interim Featherweight Championship.Conor and Mendes faced each other in front of a record crowd of 16,019 spectators. It was another victory for Conor, and his fourth "Performance of the Night" award.Finally Conor faced Aldo at UFC 194 on December 12, 2015 in Las Vegas in front of a record-breaking number of spectators. The event broke all previous records for a MMA event in the US. The fight was over in a very short time, and was declared the fastest finish in any UFC bout, making Conor the second undisputed UFC Featherweight Champion in history. He won his fifth "Performance of the Night" award.Next Conor McGregor was supposed to face Rafael dos Anjos for the UFC Lightweight Championship. But dos Anjos withdrew from the fight after breaking his foot. Many competitors were asked to step-in to face Conor. Finally, former UFC Lightweight Championship challenger Nate Diaz agreed to face Conor.Continue Reading BelowThe bout began with Conor shifting stances, before establishing his signature left cross. He showcased a variety of kicks, but was forced to the cage by Diaz. Conor landed 28 to Diaz's 23 strikes. Several times Diaz wobbled Conor. At 4:12, Conor gave in to the submission. It was Conor’s first loss in the UFC, and his third overall. Both were awarded "Fight of the Night" bonuses, and Conor received the highest purse of any fighter in the history of the company, a total of $1,000,000.A rematch with Diaz took place in August 2016. The bout was contested at welterweight, at UFC 202. Conor won the rematch, and was awarded "Fight of the Night" honors. On November 12, 2016, at UFC 205, Conor won against Eddie Alvarez at the UFC Lightweight Championship.After winning the Lightweight Championship at UFC 205, Conor took time off from UFC, as the birth of his first child was due in May 2017. He also wanted to campaign for a boxing match with Floyd Mayweather in August 2017.Awards & Achievements
- Conor McGregor has many feathers in his cap. He has won several championships like the Cage Warriors Fighting Championship, CWFC Featherweight Championship, CWFC Lightweight Championship, and Ultimate Fighting Championship. With UFC, he has claimed UFC Featherweight Championship, UFC Lightweight Championship, and more. Besides innumerable Fight of the Night, Knockout of the Night, and Performance of the Night awards, he was the Sherdog Fighter of the Year in 2015 and 2016.On November 30, 2016, he received a professional boxing license from California State Athletic Commission.Personal Life & Legacy
- Conor McGregor is in a long-term relationship with Dee Devlin. Their first child Conor Jack McGregor Jr. was born on May 5, 2017.Unlike many other MMA fighters, he does not believe in any pre-fight rituals or superstitions.He supports same-sex marriage as he believes everybody deserves equal rights.Net Worth
- Conor McGregor has an estimated net worth of $35 million.
How To CiteArticle Title- Conor McGregor BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/conor-mcgregor-33175.phpLast Updated- September 12, 2017
People Also Viewed