Cecily Strong Biography
Sun Sign: Aquarius
Also Known As: Cecily Legler Stron
Born in: Springfield, Illinois, United States
Famous as: Actress
father: Bill Strong
mother: Penelope Strong
U.S. State: Illinois
education: California Institute of the Arts
Cecily Legler Strong is a well-known American actor and stand-up comedian famous as a prominent cast member of ‘Saturday Night Live’. She started her career with theatre but got inclined to comedy at the age of nine after a class in improv. She wanted to make a career as an actor but soon figured out she was meant for comedy and moved her focus to improv performances. She began her career performing on cruise ship with fellow members of Second City Conservatory and iO Chicago. Strong continued to perform at popular events such as Chicago Sketch Fest, the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, New York Sketchfest, and Virgin Daiquiri, the all-female improv troupe. She made it big in 2012 when she debuted on ‘Saturday Night Live’ in its 39th Season as a featured cast member co-anchoring the Weekend Update segment first with Seth Meyers and later with Colin Jost. Cecily’s most defining moment on the series was her character in ‘The Girl You Wish You Hadn’t Started a Conversation with at a Party’. The same year, she also made her movie debut with a short film titled ‘How to Sponsor a Uterus’. She has openly spoken up against the treatment of women in the show business as mere girlfriends and bikini models rather as strong characters in mainstream movies.
- Cecily Strong was born on February 8, 1984, in Chicago, US. Her mother’s name is Penelope and her father is William Strong, the erstwhile Chief of Bureau at Associated Press and currently a managing partner with a renowned public relations firm in Chicago. Her parents divorced when she was young..
- She is an alumnus of Oak Park and River Forest High School and Chicago Academy for the Arts. She also holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in theatre from California Institute of the Arts.
- Strong started her career with regular performances at the Second City Conservatory and IO Chicago with fellow members on cruise ship.
- Cecily Strong made her television debut in 2005 with a small role in the series ‘Mad TV’. However, with the success of her performance in ‘Saturday Night Live’, she appeared in other successful television series such as ‘The Awesomes’ in 2013 through 2015, ‘Angie Tribeca’, ‘Years of Living Dangerously’, ‘ Netflix Presents: The Characters’, ‘Superstore’ and ‘Scream Queens’ in 2016 and ‘Detroiters’ in 2017.
- She quit as the co-anchor of Weekend Update on ‘Saturday Night Live’ in its 40th Season to concentrate completely on her sketch performances and continues to remain a part of the show’s regular cast.
- Following her movie debut in 2012, Strong continued working in movies. Her notable movie roles include ‘The Bronze’, ‘Slow Learners’, ‘The Meddler’ and ‘Staten Island Summer’, all in 2015 and ‘The Boss’ and ‘Ghostbusters’ in 2016.
- Her success on ‘Saturday Night Live’ landed her a plump contract as the featured entertainer at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner in 2015 and her performance garnered good response.
- In 2017, she appeared in the comedy movie ‘The Female Brain’, directed by Whitney Cummings. Strong essayed the role of Zoe in the movie, which premiered at the Los Angeles Film Festival.
- Cecily Strong appeared in an episode of ‘Detroiters’ in the comedy series starring Tim Robinson and Sam Richardson. The series, aired on Comedy Central in early 2017, is all set to return with a second season in 2018.
- She appeared in Steve Martin’s latest music video in the charming single ‘Caroline’ alongside Bill Hader.
- Cecily Strong was rumored to be in a relationship with Michael Patrick O’Brien, her co-actor / writer, from ‘Saturday Night Live’. However, there has been no official confirmation to this effect, as Cecily prefers not to discuss her private life in public.
- She has always claimed to be a fan of ‘Saturday Night Live’ since her childhood and has grown up watching the old episodes of the show. Landing a role in her favorite series was a dream come true for her.
Cecily Strong Movies
1. The Meddler (2015)
(Comedy, Drama, Romance)
2. The Bronze (2015)
3. Slow Learners (2015)
4. Staten Island Summer (2015)
5. Ghostbusters (2016)
(Comedy, Sci-Fi, Action, Fantasy)
6. The Boss (2016)
How To Cite
People Also Viewed