Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie
Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Benedict Cumberbatch is a highly acclaimed English actor who has worked in almost every field of the entertainment industry. Benedict has been a part of major theatre productions from his early days and was famous for playing the role of ‘Titania’ at a very young age. He has worked in films, television, theatre and even the radio. Benedict Cumberbatch is highly talented person and has even voiced some iconic characters from popular works of fiction like ‘The Simpsons’ and the movie trilogy of ‘The Hobbit’. He has been a part of major movie productions and has had significant influence on the television industry as well. His latest movie, Marvel’s ‘Dr. Strange’ was a huge hit worldwide. His portrayal of the iconic character of Sherlock Holmes in the hit TV series ‘Sherlock’ has been critically acclaimed and appreciated by everyone around the world. Benedict Cumberbatch is married to the British Theatre and Opera director ‘Sophie Hunter’ and has two beautiful boys with her, named ‘Christopher Carlton Cumberbatch’ and ‘Hal Auden Cumberbatch’.
- Benedict Cumberbatch was born on the 19 July 1976, in London, to ‘Timothy Carlton and ‘Wanda Ventham.Most of Benedict Cumberbatch’s early days during his youth, were spent in boarding schools. He received his education from Brambletye School in West Sussex and from Harrow SchoolHe was an arts scholar at the Harrow School and was a member of The Rattigan Society, which was the foremost club of dramatic arts in his school at the time. Benedict Cumberbatch made his acting debut at the age of 12, starring as ‘Titania’ in the famous play ‘A midsummer Night’s Dream’.He continued his training at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts and he graduated with a MA degree in Classical Acting.Career in Theatre
- Benedict Cumberbatch started his theatre career in 2001 and played major roles in several classic plays. In 2005, his performance as ‘George Tesman’ in the play ‘Hedda Gabler’ was highly appreciated and he was nominated for Olivier Award for Best Performance in a Supporting Role.He helmed the revival of ‘Terrance Rattigan’s’ famous play ‘After the Dance’. The play was directed by ‘Thea Sharrock’ at the ‘Royal National Theater’. The adaptation won 4 Olivier Awards and was awarded ‘Best Revival’ as well.Some of the other major plays that Cumberbatch was part of are: Danny Boyle's 'The Children's Monologues' (2010) and Danny Boyle's stage production of Mary Shelley's 'Frankenstein' (2011). For his performance in 'Frankenstein', he achieved the "Triple Crown of London Theatre" by winning the ‘Oliver Award’, ‘Evening Standard Award’ and the ‘Critics’ Circle Theatre Award’.In 2015, he played Shakespeare's Hamlet at London's Barbican Theatre and earned his third Laurence Olivier Awards nomination for the role.Career in Television
- Benedict Cumberbatch appeared on the TV show ‘Tipping the Velvet’, in 2002. He then played the role of Edward Han’ on the TV show ‘Cambridge Spies’, in 2003. In the same year, he also starred as ‘Rory’ in the comedy drama series, ‘Fortysomething’.He landed his first major role in television in the year 2004. He was selected to play the role of Stephen Hawking in the hit TV series ‘Hawking’. Benedict was nominated for the ‘BAFTA TV Award for Best Actor’ for his performance as ‘Stephen Hawking’. He won the ‘Golden Nymph’ for television films in the category of ‘Best Performance by an Actor’ too. Benedict Cumberbatch also provided the voice for ‘Stephen Hawking’ for the first episode of ‘Curiosity’, which is a Television drama series.In 2005, he was offered the role of ‘Edmund Talbot’ in the TV miniseries ‘To the Ends of the Earth’, which he readily accepted. He also made guest appearance in the Comedy show ‘Broken news’ and ‘Nathan Barley’ in the same year.In 2007, Benedict Cumberbatch starred alongside ‘Tom Hardy’ in the TV adaptation of ‘Stuart: A Life Backwards’. The show aired on BBC in September 2007.He played the lead role in a hit BBC miniseries, ‘The Last Enemy’, in 2008. His performance as the lead character, earned him a ‘Satellite Award’ nomination for the ‘Best Actor in a Miniseries or TV Film’ in the same year.In 2009, Benedict Cumberbatch starred as Luke Fitzwilliam for the TV show ‘Maple: Murder is Easy’. He also played the role of Bernard in the TV show adaptation of ‘Small Island’ which is a novel by ‘Andrea Levy’. His performance as ‘Bernard’ earned him another BAFTA Television Award nomination for the role of ‘Best Supporting Actor’.2010 was a significant year for Benedict Cumberbatch. He was cast to play the role of Vincent Van Gogh in the hit Movie ‘Van Gogh: Painted with Words’. His performance as ‘Van Gogh’ was appreciated all around the world, and is still revered as one of the best portrayals of the dead artist. In the same year, he was cast as ‘Sherlock Holmes’ in the now critically acclaimed TV series ‘Sherlock’. The first season of the series was broadcast in 2010 as well.In 2012, Benedict Cumberbatch was cast in the BBC and HBO co-produced miniseries ‘Parade’s End’. The miniseries was filmed in just 5 episodes and was directed by ‘Susana White’. His performance in the miniseries, earned Benedict Cumberbatch his second nomination for an ‘Emmy Award’ for the ‘Best Actor in a Miniseries or TV movie’.Career in Films
- Benedict Cumberbatch appeared in the movie ‘Atonement’ and ‘The other Boleyen Girl’ in supporting roles in the year 2007 and 2008 respectively. In 2009, he was cast as Joseph Hooke’ in Charles Darwin’s biographical film ‘Creation’. Joseph Hooker was ‘Charles Darwin’s’ close friend.In 2010, he was seen in two different films, ‘The Whistleblower’ and ‘Four Lions’. ‘The Whistleblower’ is Canadian-German-American biographical crime drama directed by Larysa Kondracki while ‘Four Lions’ is a dark comedy directed by ‘Chris Morris’.Benedict Cumberbatch was cast as in the 2011 John le Carre novel’s adaptation of ‘Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy’. In the same year, he was cast in the Steven Spielberg’s movie ‘War Horse’.In 2012, Benedict Cumberbatch was cast as ‘Smaug’ and the ‘Necromancer’ in the first installment of the ‘Hobbit’ movie series: ‘An Unexpected Journey’. He later reprised his role as the same in the next two installments of the trilogy, namely, ‘Desolation of Smaug’ (2013) and ‘The Battle of Five Armies’ (2014).He played the antagonist in movie, ‘Star Trek into Darkness’, in the year 2013.He played he character of British cryptographer, Alan Turing, in the historical drama ‘Imitation Game’ The movie was released in November 2014 and earned Cumberbatch nominations for the award of ‘Best Actor’ at the Golden Globe, BAFTA, SAG and Academy Awards. He also voiced a role in the animated movie ‘Penguins of Madagascar’ in the same year.In May 2014, he was cast in the film ‘Black Mass’ opposite Johnny Depp. In the month of August, same year he was cast as the voice of ‘Shere Khan’ in the 2015 film adaptation of Rudyard Kipling’s classic ‘The Jungle Book’.He was cast as ‘Dr. Strange’ in the movie of the same name in the November of 2016. The movie went on to become a big hit.He has been cast as ‘Thomas Edison’ in the upcoming movie titled ‘The Current War’. The movie is due for a release in 2017. He has also been cast as ‘The Grinch’ for the 2018 remake of the classic story ‘How the Grinch Stole Christmas’.Major Works
- His performance as Stephen Hawking in the hit TV series ‘Hawking’ was highly appreciated and earned him many awards.His performance as Vincent Van Gogh in the hit Movie ‘Van Gogh: Painted with Words’ is considered as one of the best portrayals of the dead artist.Awards & Achievements
- Benedict Cumberbatch was awarded the 2012 ‘Olivier Award’ for the ‘Best Actor’ for his performance in ‘Frankenstein’.Benedict Cumberbatch was nominated for the award of ‘Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie’ at the 2012 as well as the 2013 ‘Emmy Awards’ Ceremony. He won the award in 2013 for his exceptional performance in ‘Parade’s End’.He was a nominee for the category of ‘Best Performance by an Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture for Television’ at the 2013 ‘Golden Globe’ Awards for his performance in the hit TV series, ‘Sherlock’.He was awarded the 2014 ‘Emmy’ award; ‘Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie’ for his exceptional portrayal of ‘Sherlock Holmes’ in the TV series ‘Sherlock’.Marriage & Love Life
- Benedict Cumberbatch was in a relationship with Olivia Poulet for quite some time before finally calling it quits in 2011.Benedict Cumberbatch announced his engagement to Sophie Hunter, the English theatre and Opera director, in November 2014. The engagement was very subtle and was kept under the covers for quite some time. The two got married on 14 February 2015. The couple welcomed their first child into this world in the June 2015 and named him Christopher Carlton.Trivia
- Benedict was involved in a terrifying carjacking experience while filming in South Africa. He was filming for ‘To the Ends of the Earth (2005)’ when he and his fellow actors were kidnapped by a group of armed men in the wilderness. Benedict Cumberbatch recited the full account for ‘The Prince’s Trust’ for which he is the brand ambassador. The actor was later let go by the group in a barren desert with no explanation what so ever.He is a huge fan of the Hollywood Actor, ‘Robert Downey Jr.’He has been the voice for two characters in the American TV Show, ‘The Simpsons’. He voiced the ‘UK prime minister’ as well as ‘Alan Rickman’ for the Special Valentine episode that aired in February of 2013.His real-life parents, ‘Timothy Carlton’ and ‘Wanda Ventham’ played his character’s parents in the hit TV series ‘Sherlock’.His favorite filmmakers are Stanley Kubrick, Michael Winterbottom, Steven Soderbergh, John Hughes and Alfred Hitchcock.Benedict follows the ‘Buddhist’ philosophy and has always expressed interest and love for the practice of meditation and mindfulness.
How To CiteArticle Title- Benedict Cumberbatch BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/benedict-cumberbatch-12907.phpLast Updated- June 01, 2017
People Also Viewed
Pictures of Benedict CumberbatchAlso Listed In