Behati Prinsloo Biography
Sun Sign: Taurus
Also Known As: Behati Prinslu
Born in: Grootfontein
Famous as: Fashion Model
Spouse/Ex-: Adam Levine
father: Boet Prinsloo
mother: Magda Prinsloo
children: Dusty Rose Levine
Behati Prinsloo’s discovery in Cape Town by a talent scout led to her quick recognition and popularity in the fashion industry. She walked the ramp in Paris and London at a young age as the red-cheeked and hazel-eyed schoolgirl. Her major breakthrough came when she signed with the lingerie giant, Victoria’s Secret, as the new face of their casual clothing line ‘Pink’. She has walked in several of their fashion shows and has been a prominent face in their catalogs and ads. Behati Prinsloo soon became a favorite among her online fans and second most searched-for Angel, falling behind Candice Swanepoel, according to search data. This lingerie model has worked with a whole spectrum of bigwigs, ranging from Prada to Chanel to Fendi to Nine West, and international fashion editorials, including Vogue, Elle, American Velvet, and The Daily Telegraph, featuring in their catalogs and advertisements. She has also been the brand ambassador for Tommy Hilfiger, Pepe Jeans, Seafolly, and Gap. Her quirky, eccentric style and high-profile relationships have always kept her on the frontline of fashion media and gossip.
- Behati Prinsloo was born on May 16, 1989 in Grootfontein, a small town in Otjozondjupa, Namibia, to church minister Boet and bed-and-breakfast provider Magda.
- While holidaying in Cape Town, South Africa, with her grandparents, she was spotted by Sarah Doukas, owner of Storm Model Management, at a grocery store in 2005. She was only 16 then.
- She went to London in September 2005 to pursue modeling and made her runway debut at Prada and Miu Miu shows in Milan and Paris.
- She did a photo shoot for the British editorial, Vogue, in September 2005, followed by Vogue Italia in December.
- In February 2006, she walked for Chanel, Fendi, and Alexander McQueen, soon after which, she shot for British ‘Vogue’ for the second time in March.
- In 2006, designer Henry Holland launched a T-shirt with the tagline ‘Fancy a Screw, Behati Prinsloo?’ as a part of his fall collection, which added to her popularity.
- She started walking for Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show in 2007 and has been modeling for the lingerie retailer since then. She was selected as a Victoria’s Secret Angel in 2009.
- In 2009, she appeared as the rich girl in The Virgins’ music video ‘Rich Girls’.
- In 2010, she created her own swimsuit line ‘Behati Loves Pink’ for Victoria’s Secret, which included designs inspired by African prints from her hometown, Grootfontein.
- The Australian swimwear brand ‘Seafolly’ made her its brand ambassador for its summer collection in 2012.
- She made a guest appearance, along with her co-models Jacquelyn Jablonski and Jasmine Tookes, in a 2012 episode of ‘Hawaii Five-O’, broadcasted on CBS network, playing a Victoria’s Secret model.
- She was made the face of Pepe Jeans for their Spring/Summer campaign in 2014.
- In 2015, she debuted on the cover page of Victoria’s Secret swim catalog sporting a one-shoulder strappy black bikini.
- Apart from her mother agency Storm, she has also modeled for other agencies, like Women Management (New York), View Management (Barcelona), Women Milan (Milan), Modelwerk (Hamburg), and Elite Model Management (Paris).
- She has walked the runway for the cream of high fashion crop, which includes Marc Jacobs, Narcisco Rodriguez, Paolo Roversi, Louis Vuitton, MaxMara, Lacoste, and Zac Posen.
- She has appeared on cover pages of several international fashion magazines, such as French, Swedish & Italian Elle, Mexican GQ, i-D Magazine, L’Officiel Netherlands, American Velvet, Italian Muse, V, and Spanish Vogue.
- She has done ad campaigns for numerous fashion heavyweights and editorials, like Chanel, Hugo Boss, Kurt Geiger, Juicy Couture, Tommy Hilfiger, DKNY, Nina Ricci, Love Magazine, Vogue Italia, Glamour Magazine, and Interview Magazine.
- She got her real big break in 2007 when she started modeling for Victoria’s Secret and a year later, became the face of Pink, their sub-brand targeting teens and preteens.
- She was listed at number 12 on ‘The Top Sexiest Models’ by the fashion news site, models.com.
- She was into a relationship with Jamie Strachan, a British model, from 2005 to 2012.
- She started dating Adam Levine, lead vocalist of American pop rock band Maroon 5, in 2012, and got engaged with him in July 2013. By now, Levine was voted as the ‘Sexiest Man Alive’ by People’s magazine.
- She married the hunky musician on July 19, 2014 in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.
- Her unusual name Behati means ‘Beatrice’ in Afrikaans language.
- She was found by Sarah Doukas, the same model scout who discovered the famous English model, Kate Moss.
- She is the proud owner of ‘Gollum’, a hairless Sphynx cat.
- Even though she has acted in a handful of films, she has never been bitten by the ‘model-to-actress transition’ bug.
- She enjoys being photographed and working behind it as well. She did a photo shoot of her fellow model-cum-friend, Coco Rocha, and her then-fiancé James Conran, in 2010.
- She considers fellow Victoria’s Secret Angel Candice Swanepoel and Canadian model Coco Rocha as her good friends.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed