Balthazar Getty Biography
Sun Sign: Aquarius
Also Known As: Paul Balthazar Get
Born in: Los Angeles, California
Famous as: Actor
Spouse/Ex-: Rosetta Millington (m. 2000)
father: John Paul Getty III
mother: Gisela Getty
children: Cassius Getty, Grace Getty, June Getty, Violet Getty
U.S. State: California
City: Los Angeles
Paul Balthazar Getty is an actor from America known for his role in the series ‘Charmed.’ He is also a musician, presently affiliated with the indie rock band Ringside and rap duo The Wow. As a member of the popular Getty family, Balthazar was born into affluence. He is the great-grandson of J. Paul Getty, founder of Getty Oil, who was once one of the richest men in the world. Balthazar grew up in San Francisco, California and studied at Gordonstoun School, a co-educational independent educational institution situated in Elgin, Scotland. He made his acting debut at the age of 14 in 1989 in Showtime’s anthology horror television series ‘Nightmare Classics’. In 1990, he portrayed the lead character Ralph in the survival drama film ‘Lord of the Flies’. In the ensuing years, he has played the recurring character Richard Montana in The WB fantasy drama series ‘Charmed’, Thomas Grace in ABC espionage action-drama series ‘Alias’, and Tommy Walker in ABC’s family drama series ‘Brothers & Sisters’. Balthazar has been active as a producer in California’s underground hip-hop scene for years. In 2005, he and four others set up Ringside.
- Balthazar Getty began his acting career as a young performer in a 1989 episode of ‘Nightmare Classics’. He made his cinematic debut in the 1990 film adaptation of British author William Golding’s 1954 book ‘Lord of the Flies’. Upon its release, the film received mixed reviews from the critics but was a moderate success at the box office and has since accumulated a cult following. Balthazar garnered much praise for his acting in the film and was nominated for the Young Artist Award for the Best Young Actor Starring in a Motion Picture in 1991. In the subsequent years, he has portrayed various characters in films like ‘Young Guns II’ (1990), ‘Natural Born Killers’(1994), ‘Judge Dredd’ (1995), ‘Mr. Holland's Opus’ (1996), ‘White Squall’ (1996), ‘Lost Highway’ (1997), ‘Big City Blues’ (1997), ‘The Center of the World’ (2001), ‘Deuces Wild’ (2002), ‘Ladder 49’ (2004), ‘Feast’ (2005), ‘Big Sur’ (2012), ‘The Judge’ (2014), and ‘Horror’ (2015).
- Balthazar is one of the few child actors who have made a successful transition into stardom as an adult. While he has been active on the big screen, he has gained more recognition for his TV roles. In 2004, he appeared in the USA Network’s miniseries ‘Traffic’. That year, he also played Richard Montana, the love interest of Paige Matthews (Rose McGowan) in the season seven of ‘Charmed’. In the fifth season of the Jennifer Garner starrer ‘Alias’, he was cast as Agent Thomas Grace. He worked with his ‘Alias’ co-star Ron Rifkin in ‘Brothers & Sisters’ as well. He was a member of the main cast in the first three seasons of the show but did not appear in all episodes of the last two seasons. In 2017, he played the recurring character Red in the third season of ‘Twin Peaks’.
- As a rapper and producer, Balthazar Getty has been working in California’s hip-hop scene for years. In 2005, he formed Ringside with Scott Thomas, (vocals, guitar, and keyboard), Kirk Hellie (guitarist), Sandy Chila (live drums), Max Allyn (live keys). They have put out four albums to date: ‘Ringside’ (2005), ‘Money EP’ (2010), ‘Lost Days’ (2011), and ‘Fiend for You’ (2015). He also serves as a producer in his hip-hop act with Rapper KO the Legend, called The Wow.
- Born on January 22, 1975, in Tarzana, California, Balthazar is the son of late John Paul Getty III and German-born professional photographer and documentary filmmaker Gisela (née Schmidt). He is part of the prominent Getty family. Industrialist J. Paul Getty was his great-grandfather. Getty’s third son, Sir John Paul Getty Jr., was Balthazar’s grandfather.
- In July 1973, while he was residing in Rome, Italy, Balthazar’s father, John Paul Getty III, was kidnapped. His kidnappers asked for a $17 million ransom. Getty Jr. reached out to his father for the money but Getty refused, stating that his other grandchildren would become targets for kidnappers if he paid for the release of John Paul Getty III. Eventually, Getty paid about $2.9 million for the release of his grandson but by that time, Getty III was suffering from pneumonia and had developed an allergy to antibiotics. Furthermore, the kidnappers had cut off one of his ears to prove to the family that he was indeed kidnapped. After his return, John Paul Getty III faced various issues in getting back to a normal life. He became addicted to both drugs and alcohol, and these addictions later led to a stroke and partial disability. He and Schmidt divorced in 1993. John Paul Getty III passed away in February 2011 at the age of 54.
- Balthazar grew up in San Francisco but relocated to Elgin to attend Gordonstoun School. He married fashion designer Rosetta Millington and has four children with her: three daughters, Grace, Violet, and June Catherine, and a son, Cassius Paul.
- Balthazar Getty became the centre of media frenzy because of his year-long affair with English actress Sienna Miller. He eventually decided to end the affair and stay with his wife. He later said in an interview that he feels that the affair has made his marriage stronger.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed