Aya Cash Biography
Sun Sign: Cancer
Also Known As: Aya Rachel Cash
Born Country: United States
Born in: San Francisco, California, United States
Famous as: Actress
Spouse/Ex-: Josh Alexander (m. 2012)
father: Eugene Cash
mother: Kim Addonizio
U.S. State: California
education: University of Minnesota
Aya Cash is an American actress known for her role in the sitcom ‘Traffic Light’. She is the daughter of the award-winning novelist Kim Addonizio and the granddaughter of sportswriter Bob Addie and Wimbledon champion Pauline Betz. As an actress, she played a lead role in the TV show ‘You're the Worst,’ for which she earned a Critics' Choice Television Award nomination. She grew up with an inherent love for performing arts and attended San Francisco School of the Arts. She later went on to earn her Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the prestigious University of Minnesota. Cash began her career in 2006, with guest roles on television. Two years later, she started getting supporting roles in films. It was her natural acting skills that garnered media’s attention and ‘Indiewire’ listed her in their list of ‘10 Comic Actresses Who Deserve A Big-Screen Leading Role’. On the personal front, Cash has been married to producer cum writer Josh Alexander since 2012.
- Aya Cash began her acting career in 2006, initially with guest appearances in the TV shows ‘Law & Order’ and ‘Brotherhood’. Two years later, she landed a minor role in the crime thriller ‘Deception’. This was followed by her appearance in 'Winter of Frozen Dreams', an independent crime drama flick about a biochemistry student and prostitute charged with murder. In 2011, the actress played the main role of Callie in the sitcom ‘Traffic Light’. A year later, she featured in the comedy ‘Sleepwalk with Me’. The movie, directed by, written by, and starring Mike Birbiglia, earned the Best of NEXT Audience Award at that year’s Sundance Film Festival.
- Her projects in 2013 included the comedy drama film ‘Begin Again’, the biographical flick ‘The Wolf of Wall Street’ and the drama series ‘The Newsroom’ and ‘We Are Men’. A year later, Cash became a household name when she played Gretchen Cutler in the comedy-drama series ‘You're the Worst’. Her performance won appreciation, garnering her a Critics' Choice Television Award nomination. In 2015, the actress had guest appearances in a few drama series, including ‘The Good Wife’ and ‘Modern Family’.
- In 2016, Cash was cast as Sherri in the anthology series ‘Easy’. The following year, she starred as the titular character in the Canadian drama film ‘Mary Goes Round’. Then in 2018, she appeared in Kyle Newacheck’s action comedy that also featured Blake Anderson and Adam DeVine. The actress also had a role in the comedy flick ‘Social Animals’ the same year. This was followed by her appearances in the series ‘Fosse/Verdon’ and ‘Will & Grace’.
- Aya Cash was born on July 13, 1982, in San Francisco, California, USA, to novelist Kim Addonizio and her teacher husband, Eugene Cash. Her maternal grandparents are sportswriter Bob Addie and former Wimbledon star Pauline Betz Addie. She is a niece of Richard, Jon, Rusty, and Gary Addie. Cash is a graduate of San Francisco School of the Arts and University of Minnesota.
- Aya Cash married writer cum producer Josh Alexander in 2012. They reside together in New York City.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed