Antonia Thomas Biography
Sun Sign: Scorpio
Also Known As: Antonia Laura Thomas
Born in: London, United Kingdom
Famous as: Actress
father: David Thomas
City: London, England
education: Bristol Old Vic Theatre School
Antonia Thomas is an English actor, best known for her work in the popular TV series ‘Misfits,’ ‘The Good Doctor,’ and ‘Lovesick.’ The talented actor was discovered even before graduating. She was cast in her first TV series a day after graduating theater school. After exploring the limited acting options in Britain, Thomas moved to the US to pursue more opportunities when she was called to audition for the role of ‘Dr. Claire Brown’ in ‘The Good Doctor.’ Despite having to switch to an American accent when acting, she earned tremendous popularity. One of her latest works has been her collaboration with her ‘The Good Doctor’ co-star, Chuku Modu for the short film ‘Freedom’s Name is Mighty Sweet.’ It revolves around an African–American couple who decide to travel from the “Deep South” to the Yukon wilderness despite the lead character’s pregnancy. In an interview with a journalist, she also claimed to want make an adaptation based on the life of her mother, a woman of color who moved from Jamaica to the UK in the 1960s and worked her way up from being a nurse to the head of psychology at a renowned hospital.
- Antonia Laura Thomas was born on November 3, 1986, in London, to a Jamaican mother, Veronica, the head of psychology at a hospital, and an English father, David Thomas, a classical bass singer. She is the youngest of her parents’ three daughters. Her oldest sister, Emma Jay Thomas, is an actor, too, while her other sister, Chloe Lucy Thomas, is a journalist.
- She graduated from the ‘Bristol Old Vic Theatre School’ in England after earning a BA degree in acting in 2009. She then joined the ‘National Youth Theatre.’
- In 2008, Thomas appeared in a short film titled ‘My World.’ Back then, she had not graduated from the ‘Bristol Old Vic Theatre School.’
- In 2009, she was cast as ‘Alisha Daniels’ in ‘Misfits.’ The following year, she appeared as ‘Sadie’ in the movie ‘Stanley Park’ and as ‘Maddy’ in three episodes of the TV series ‘The Deep.’
- In 2012, she starred as ‘Adrienne’ in ‘Eight Minutes Idle’ and as ‘Lisa’ in ‘Spike Island,’ both of which are British movies. The same year, she appeared as ‘Tasha Raveley’ in six episodes of ‘Homefront.’ The British miniseries, in which Thomas played a pivotal role, followed the lives of four army wives in the UK. She also starred in the music video of ‘Charlie Brown,’ a song by the popular band ‘Coldplay.’
- In 2013, she appeared as ‘Yvonne,’ a pivotal role in ‘Sunshine on Leith,’ a Scottish musical film directed by Dexter Fletcher, which was an adaptation of a jukebox musical of the same name featuring songs by ‘The Proclaimers.’ The film was screened as part of the ‘Special Presentation’ section at the 2013 ‘Toronto Film Festival.’ In 2014, she received an ‘Empire Award’ nomination for the ‘Best Female Newcomer.’ She appeared as ‘Mischa’ in a British comedy–drama named ‘Hello Carter,’ written and directed by Anthony Wilcox and starring Charlie Cox and Jodie Whittaker.
- In 2014, she appeared as ‘Angela’ in ’Northern Soul,’ a British historical film directed by Elaine Constantine. She also appeared as ‘Steinmann’ in ‘The Hybrid,’ a British science-fiction/horror film directed by Billy O’Brien. The same year, she appeared in the miniseries ‘Fleming’ as a jazz singer and an episode (‘The Diva’) of ‘Transporter: The Series’ (as ‘Ferrara’). She was also cast as ‘Evie’ in ‘Lovesick.’.
- In 2015, she appeared as ‘Naomi Rosenbaum’ in the British–American action–thriller film ‘Survivor,’ starring Pierce Brosnan. The same year, she appeared as ‘Samara Alaman’ in the ‘BBC’ period drama ‘The Musketeers,’ based on the characters from Alexandre Dumas’s novel ‘The Three Musketeers.’ She was featured in one of its episodes, titled ‘The Good Traitor.’ She also lent her voice as the narrator to the reboot of ‘Teletubbies,’ a popular British pre-school children’s TV series. Additionally, she was featured in the music video for “C’est La Vie,” a song by the Welsh rock band ‘Stereophonics.’
- She starred as ‘Charlie’ in the horror film ‘First Born’ in 2016. The following year, she was cast as the main lead in ‘The Good Doctor.’
- In 2018, she appeared in the first episode of ‘Snatches: Moments from Women’s Lives,’ as ‘Leonie.’ The show was based on monologues inspired by women from different walks of life who have challenged the status quo, often at a great personal cost.
- She contributed to the soundtracks of ‘Fleming’ and ‘Sunshine on Leith.’
- She has co-written and co-produced the narrative short ‘Freedom's Name is Mighty Sweet.’
- In 2009, Thomas was cast as ‘Alisha Daniels’ in ‘Misfits,’ a British science-fiction TV series, opposite Iwan Rheon of ‘Game of Thrones’ fame. It was a comedy–drama series about a group of young offenders on community service obtaining supernatural powers. Thomas left the show in 2011, after the makers “killed” her character in the season three finale. The show won the ‘BAFTA’ for the ‘Best Drama Series’ in 2010.
- In 2014, she played ‘Evie,’ the lead role in the British romantic comedy ‘Scrotal Recall,’ which aired on ‘Channel 4.’ Due to its popularity, the series was billed as a ‘Netflix Original’ and its name was changed to ‘Lovesick’ in November 2016. The show was renewed for a third season in 2018 and was aired exclusively on ‘Netflix.’
- In 2017, she was cast as ‘Dr. Claire Brown,’ the main character in the American medical drama ‘The Good Doctor,’ based on a South Korean series of the same name. Her character was a strong-willed and talented doctor who was shown forming a special connection with her autistic colleague afflicted by savant syndrome.
- Thomas was rumored to have been dating her ‘Misfits’ co-star Iwan Rheon. However, in an interview in 2016, she put the rumors to rest and admitted to being in a relationship. She keeps her personal life notoriously guarded. Thus, the identity of her boyfriend is unknown.
- She is a highly skilled painter and has attended the ‘Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design.’ She is also an adept mezzo-soprano.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed