Angel Locsin Biography
Sun Sign: Taurus
Also Known As: Angelica Locsin Colmenares
Born in: Santa Maria, Philippines
Famous as: Actress
father: Angelo Colmenares
mother: Emma Colmenares
siblings: Angelo Colmenares, Ella Colmenares
Angel Locsin is a Filipina TV and film actress, film producer, model, and fashion designer. She gained widespread fame with her portrayal of Alwina in ‘Mulawin’, a fantasy-themed television series, and as the superheroine Darna in television series of the same name. She started as an artist with the GMA Network, but later switched over to ABS-CBN. Her first major assignment with the network was to portray Lyka in the television series ‘Lobo’, for which she was nominated for an International Emmy Award for best performance. A multiple award winning actress, she earned the Box-Office Entertainment Award for Film Actress of the Year and the Star Award for Movies for Movie Actress of the Year for her performances in blockbuster films ‘In The Name Of Love’, and ‘One More Try’. She also won the FAMAS Award and the Film Academy of the Philippines Award for best actress for ‘One More Try’. Her successful career suffered a setback when she recently had to step back from playing Darna in Star Cinema's movie adaptation of the comic series of the same name as she is suffering from some spine problems and had to undergo a few operations. Although today she is single, she had dated some popular Filipino celebrities in the past and she said in an interview that each one of her relationships has made her stronger and more mature.
- Angelica Locsin Colmenares was born on April 23, 1985, in Santa Maria, Bulacan in Philippines. She is a Christian, but is also a part of a Muslim Royal Family in Marawi City through her mother Emma.
- She started living with her father, Angelo Colmenares, when she was 14, and has had no contact with her mother since then.
- She first studied at St James College in Quezon City and completed high school from University of Santo Tomas High School in Manila.
- In August 2007, she did a short course in fashion designing from Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design in London.
- A talent scout discovered Angel Locsin at a shopping mall, and asked her to audition for some commercials, which were a part of ABS-CBN's Star Circle Batch 9. However, she couldn’t sign a contract despite clearing the auditions as her father opposed it.
- She then became a contract star of GMA Artist Center, and was featured in the second season of the teen-oriented series, ‘Click’, and in ‘Ang Iibigin Ay Ikaw’. She was with GMA till early 2007.
- In August 2004, she started starring as Alwina in ‘Mulawin’, a fantasy-themed TV series, which was a huge success, and received high ratings till its finale in March 2005.
- Following the success of ‘Mulawin,’ she was cast as Darna in another fantasy-themed TV series of the same name in 2005. This show also received high ratings, which surpassed the records set by ‘Mulawin’.
- Locsin was then featured as Sabina in another fantasy-themed TV series, ‘Majika’, in September 2006. Next, in 2007, she was cast in ‘Asian Treasures’, the first Philippine TV series that was shot in a number of countries. Both the shows received massive acclaim.
- In August 2007, she left GMA Network, and signed a two-year exclusive contract with ABS-CBN. She was cast in the series ‘Maalaala Mo Kaya’ in the episode ‘Pilat’ in the same year.
- In January 2008, she launched her first drama series with the ABS network titled ‘Lobo’. In 2009, she featured in a Philippine remake of the Korean drama ‘Only You’, which was a top-rated TV series.
- In 2010, she starred in the TV series ‘Imortal’, the sequel to ‘Lobo’. In 2011, she appeared as a guest star in the comedy series, ‘Toda Max’, and since then she has made several guest appearances in other TV series. In 2014, Locsin appeared in the hit series, ‘The Legal Wife’ on primetime TV.
- Angel Locsin's film career has also been a success. In 2000, she appeared as young Robina Gokongwei in ‘Ping Lacson Supercop’. In 2003, she made a cameo appearance in ‘Mano Po 2’, and featured in the teen-oriented movie ‘Kuya’, and in the comedy film ‘Singles’ in 2004.
- She starred in the drama film ‘Mano Po III: My Love’, and in the horror film ‘Sigaw’. Both the films were entries to the 2004 Metro Manila Film Festival.
- In 2005, she starred in the romantic film ‘Let the Love Begin’, and also reprised her roles as Alwina in the movie adaptation of the TV series ‘Mulawin’, which was again an entry to the 2005 Metro Manila Film Festival.
- In 2006, she starred in three movies—‘I Will Always Love You’, a romantic movie; ‘TxT’, a horror film; and ‘Mano Po 5’, a romantic drama-comedy film. Locsin featured in the romantic drama film ‘The Promise’ in 2007. The same year, she produced her own film ‘Angels’.
- In 2009, she starred in the movie ‘Love Me Again’ in the lead role, and in 2010, she made a cameo in ‘My Amnesia Girl’, a romantic comedy film. In 2011, she starred in a drama film ‘In the Name of Love’. She featured in romantic comedy film ‘Unofficially Yours’ in 2012, and then starred in the drama film ‘One More Try’ the same year.
- The TV series ‘Darna’ and ‘Mulawin’ are two of Angel Locsin’s major works in her early career for which she is still remembered. Her 2007 work in ‘Pilat’ can also be counted as one of her best early performances.
- ‘Mano Po III: My Love’, and ‘Sigaw’ are also her significant works as both the films were entries to the 2004 Metro Manila Film Festival. ‘Mano Po 5’, in which her performance was remarkable according to critics, was another entry to the 2006 Metro Manila Film Festival.
- Locsin gained critical acclaim in her 2011 film ‘In the Name of Love’. Her performance in Star Cinema's ‘One More Try’ in 2012 was also highly praised by film critics and media.
- Angel Locsin’s performance in the episode ‘Pilat’ of the series ‘Maalaala Mo Kaya’ gained her the Star Award for TV for Best Single Performance by an Actress in 2007.
- For ‘Lobo’ she was nominated for an International Emmy Award for best performance. She also earned the Star Award for Movies for Movie Actress of the Year and the GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Award for Film Actress of the Year for her performances in two films—‘In The Name of Love’ (2011) and ‘One More Try’ (2012).
- She also won the Film Academy of the Philippines Award for Best Actress and the FAMAS Award for ‘One More Try’. ‘One More Try’ was also an entry to the 2012 Metro Manila Film Festival.
- In 2012, she won Star Award for Movie Actress of the Year for ‘In the Name of Love’.
- In 2013, she won Gawad PASADO Award for Pinakapasadong Katuwang na Aktres (shared with Toni Gonzaga, Bea Alonzo and Shaina Magdayao) for ‘Four Sisters and a Wedding.’
- Angel Locsin had been in a relationship with Filipino Actor Miko Sotto in 2003. After their breakup, she got involved with Dennis Trillo, another Filipino Actor, in 2005. In 2006, she was in a relationship with actor Oyo Boy Sotto. In 2011, she began dating Filipino Footballer Phil Younghusband, and the relationship lasted for two years. She started dating Luis Manzano in 2014. However, they had a breakup in 2016. Locsin now seems to be single.
- Locsin is associated with various NGOs, and in 2007, she celebrated her birthday with Gabriela Foundation, which supports women and children. For her 2008 birthday, she distributed food, clothing, and other basic needs to children at Payatas, Quezon City, supported by her sponsors.
- In 2016, she had a series of spinal operations because of her slip disc problem, and is still healing.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed