Amber Liu Biography
Sun Sign: Virgo
Also Known As: Amber Josephine Liu
Born Country: United States
Born in: Los Angeles, California, United States
Famous as: Singer
U.S. State: California
City: Los Angeles
education: El Camino Real High School’ in Los Angeles
Amber Josephine Liu, professionally known by her stage name, “Amber Liu,” is a Taiwanese–American singer, rapper, songwriter, and TV host, based in South Korea. In 2008, Liu was one of the only two candidates selected as trainees from Los Angeles to work for Korea’s largest entertainment company, ‘SM Entertainment.’ Within 2 years of training, she launched herself as a member of the South Korean girl group called ‘f(x),’ composing and writing lyrics for some of the group’s songs such as ‘Goodbye Summer.’ She featured in the songs and music videos of several other South Korean and Taiwanese artists, such as Yuri and Danson Tang, as a rapper and a dancer. Liu has also made a career on TV. From 2011 to 2012, she was part of the South Korean reality show ‘Invincible Youth.’ She has hosted several other South Korean TV reality shows, such as ‘We Got Married Global Edition’ and ‘One Fine Day.’ In 2015, she debuted as a solo artist, with the EP ‘Beautiful.’ Her latest single album, ‘White Noise + Lost At Sea,’ was released in 2018.
- Amber Liu was born on September 18, 1992, in Los Angeles, California, to Taiwanese parents. Her father has Teochew ancestry.
- She attended ‘El Camino Real High School’ in Los Angeles.
- In 2008, Liu started her music career when she was picked up as a trainee by ‘SM Entertainment,’ South Korea’s largest entertainment company.
- In 2009, after a year and half of training with ‘SM Entertainment,’ Liu debuted as a member of the South Korean girl band ‘f(x).’ She has composed and written lyrics for some of the group’s most popular songs, such as ‘Goodbye Summer’ and ‘Summer Lover.’ The songs were part of the group’s second and third studio albums, ‘Pink Tape’ and ‘Red Light,’ respectively.
- In 2010, Liu and her bandmates worked on the song ‘Spread its Wings, which was part of the soundtrack of the ‘KBS drama ‘God of Study.’ Her other collaborations during the same year were ‘I’m Back’ for the album ‘The First Second’ with Taiwanese artist Danson Tang and ‘1, 2 Step [Live]’ for the album ‘The First Second’ with South Korean artist Kwon Yuri.
- In 2012, Liu wrote the lyrics for the song ‘Beautiful Stranger’ from the album ‘Electric Shock.’
- In 2013, Liu featured in a duet with Canadian singer-composer Henry Lau for the song ‘1-4-3 (I Love You)’ from the album of the same name. The same year, she wrote the lyrics for the song ‘Goodbye Summer’ from the album ‘Pink Tape.’
- In 2014, Liu collaborated for a duet with Korean–American artist Ailee and wrote the song ‘Letting Go’ from the album ‘VIVID.’ The same year, she wrote the lyrics for the song ‘Summer Lover’ for her girl band, ‘f(x).’
- In 2015, Liu featured in two songs with her bandmate Luna: ‘We Own the World’ from the album of the same name and ‘Just a Love’ from the album ‘Two Yoo Project-Sugar Man Part 6.’ The same year, she wrote the lyrics for five other songs, ‘Beautiful,’ ‘Shake That Brass,’ ‘Love Run,’ ‘Heights,’ and ‘I Just Wanna,’ all from the album ‘Beautiful.’ She also appeared in the Korean music videos of the songs ‘Shake That Brass’ and ‘Beautiful.’
- In 2016, Liu wrote the lyrics and composed music for three singles, ‘On My Own,’ ‘Need to Feel Needed,’ and ‘Breathe Again,’ and appeared in the English and Korean music videos of all three songs.
- In 2017, Liu featured in an American musical and comedy club called ‘Superfruit,’ appearing in a song called ‘Fantasy’ from the album ‘Future Friends.’ The same year, she collaborated with another artist, Shannon, for the song ‘Love Don’t Hurt’ from the album of the same name.
- In 2018, Liu again collaborated with her bandmate Luna, for the song ‘Lower’ from the album of the same name. The same year, she wrote two songs, ‘White Noise’ and ‘Lost At Sea,’ from the album ‘White Noise + Lost At Sea’ and appeared in their music videos, too.
- From 2011 to 2012, Liu was a regular cast of the South Korean variety show ‘Invincible Youth,’ appearing in 18 episodes.
- In 2013, Liu hosted the South Korean music TV program called ‘Show Champion.’
- In 2014, Liu hosted another South Korean TV variety show, ‘We Got Married Global Edition.’ The same year, she was also a regular cast member in another TV program, ‘Ailee& Amber One Fine Day.’
- From 2014 to 2015, Liu hosted two TV programs, ‘A Song For You 3’ and ‘Song For You 4.’ In 2015, she appeared on two other South Korean TV shows, ‘Real Men’ and ‘Top Fly.’
- In 2016, Liu was a panelist on a TV variety show titled ‘We Got Married.’ The same year, she also appeared in the South Korean series ‘Entourage,’ playing the role of ‘Joey Jung.’
- In 2015, Liu was nominated for the ‘Mnet Asian Music Award’ for the ‘Best Dance Performance,’ for the song ‘Shake That Brass.’ The same year, she won the ‘Best Female Newcomer Award’ at the ‘MBC Entertainment Awards,’ for her work in ‘Real Men.’
- Liu considers herself an ally of the LGBT community. She is an androgynous tomboy with tattoos and piercings and belongs to a rich, conservative Asian cultural background.
- The “x” in ‘f(x)’ is a variable, which means if “x” changes, the result will vary. It correlates to the diverse backgrounds of the members of the girl band. However, like “x,” they are variable. Their skills allow them to flourish in Korea and also prosper overseas. Additionally, the “f” stands for ‘”flower” and the “x” also stands for the female chromosome “xx.” Thus, they wish to blossom like a flower and become an iconic Asian girl band.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed