Known worldwide as ‘Scary spice’, the multi-talented Melanie Janine Brown or Mel B has gained immense popularity as a singer, actor, television show host, judge and also as an author. Member of the all-girlpop band ‘Spice girls’, Brown is an iconic figure in the world of music. She started her career with the band’s hit single ‘Wannabe’ and went on to sing several songs which held records in the musical charts of the United Kingdom and several other countries. After the band members changed their paths, Brown began her solo career and soon tasted success with the release of her first single ‘I Want You’. Soon after, she explored acting, theatre, television show hosting and was recognised for her work in all these areas. Her performance in the musical ‘Rent’, established her as a powerful actor too. She has also penned down her bestseller autobiography, ‘Catch a Fire’. Proud mother of three daughters, Brown has now reunited with few of her band members and is preparing to recreate magical music. She has also become a successful entrepreneur with the launch of her fashion brand, ‘Catty Courture’. She is among the panel of judgesat ‘America’s Got Talent’ and also participated in the dancing show ‘Dancing with the stars’. Mel B has truly represented girl power through her immense talent in different genres of the entertainment industry.
- Melanie Brown was born in Harehills, Leeds, England on 29th May 1975. Her father, Martin is Nevisian, belonging to the Saint Kitts and Nevis of Caribbean Islands, whereas her mother, Andrea is English.She grew up in Burley, Leeds. She has a younger sister named Danielle Brown.Melanie studied at the Intake High School in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England, UK, prior to beginning her career as a singer in the band ‘Spice girls’.Career
- In response to an advertisement in ‘The Stage’ magazine, Brown was called for an audition for a female group pop recording. She was selected after she sang ‘Greatest Love of All’. The others selected along with Brown were Geri Halliwell, Victoria Beckham, Emma Bunton and Melanie Chisholm. The girls came together to form the group ‘Spice Girls’ in 1994.In September 1995, the group signed a contract with ‘Virgin Records’. The following year, they released their debut single, ‘Wannabe’.The song became an instant chartbuster in as many as 30 countries and also the biggest-selling female groupsong.‘Spice Girls’ soon became a global name andreleased their debut album, ‘Spice in Europe’. The album reached the height of success, selling over 30 million copies worldwide. The tracks ‘Say You'll Be There’, ‘One’, ‘Who Do You Think You Are’ and ‘Mama’ were also highly appreciated.In 1997, they released their second album, ‘Spiceworld’. The band’s success stories continued until the single ‘Viva Forever’, the last song after which the band member Geri Halliwell left the band in May 1998.After the disintegration of ‘Spice Girls’, Mel B focussed on her solo career. In no time her first single, ‘I Want You’, with Missy Elliott captured the first position on the UK singles chart. Around 80,000 copies of the song were sold within the first week of its release.In the year 2000, her debut solo album, ‘Hot’, was released, whose three singles reached top five.‘L.A. State of Mind’, her second album, was released in 2005. Unfortunately it failed to impress her fans and music lovers.Brown began working as a television presenter in the successful show ‘This Is My Moment’ in 2001. This was the beginning of her career as a television show host.The next phase of her career was focussed on acting starting in 2002, when Brown worked in the BBC3 sitcom ‘Burn’.The Vagina Monologues’ in London gave her the opportunity to debut in theatre in 2003.Brown also appeared as the lead actor in a few films. She acted in the horror movie‘LD 50 Lethal dose’ in 2003 and in the comedy ‘The Seat Filler’ in 2004.She was cast as Mimi in ‘Rent’, a Broadway musical in September 2004 through which she made her mark as an actor.Brown further started appearing as an actor and presenter in several television shows such as ‘The MOBO Awards’, ‘Access Hollywood’, ‘Dancing With the Stars’, ‘Top of the Pops’, ‘The X Factor’, ‘Pure Naughty’, ‘Voodoo Princess’, ‘Party in the Park for the Prince's Trust’, and ‘The All Star Animal Awards’.Her talent as a writer came to light with her autobiography, ‘Catch a Fire’, which released in 2002. The book takes its readers through her experiences and insights as a pop star and the member of ‘Spice Girls’. It became immensely popular and also secured 7th position on the bestsellers chart.Mel B has always been known for her unique fashion sense which led to the creation of her fashion brand, ‘Catty Courture’, focussing on collections of trendy sheer tops, skirts and jackets.Brown also participated in ‘Dancing with the Stars’ in 2007 with partner Maksim Chmerkovskiy and even reached the finals.In 2012, Brown reunited with the other Spice girls to perform at the closing ceremony of the Summer Olympic Games, London. The ‘Spice Girls’ announced their album ‘Viva Forever’, based on the ups and downs of their band. Brown also signed a contract with EMI Music the same year.Brown joined Howie Mandel, Howard Stern and Heidi Klum as the judge of ‘America's Got Talent’, season 8 in 2013.Brown came together with Emma Bunton, and Geri Halliwell in 2016 to record fresh songs on the 20th anniversary of their first single, ‘Wannabe’ and are currently working on their new album.Major Works
- As a Spice girl, ‘Wannabe’ and ‘Viva forever’ remain her most loved tracks.Her solo ‘I Want You’ and debut album ‘Hot’ peaked on the music charts and attained height of success.Her theatrical role as Mimi in ‘Rent’ is also worth mentioning.Awards & Achievements
- Mel B has received worldwide recognition as ‘Scary spice’. Together with the other spice girls, she has won two awards at the ‘Billboard Awards’ in 1997.She was declared as ‘One of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World’ by the magazine‘People’ in 1997.In 1998, the Spice Girls were awarded with three ‘American Music Awards’.Brown received a special award in 1998 at the ‘Brit Awards’.Personal Life & Legacy
- Brown married twice and is the mother of three children.She married Jimmy Gulzar on 13th September 1998, but the marriage ended in a divorce on 2nd Jan 2000.She gave birth to her first daughter Phoenix Chi Gulzar, in 1999. On 3rd April, 2007, she gave birth to her second daughter, Angel Iris Murphy Brown with the Hollywood comedian, Eddie Murphy.She married businessman and friend, Stephen Belafonte, in Las Vegas on 6th June 2007.In 2011, their daughter Madison was born. Mel B is presently settled in Los Angeles with her husband and children.Trivia
- As a young school girl, Melanie was fascinated about singing and dancing.She often skipped school to take part in audition and rehearsals.She had a tough custodial struggle with her ex-husband Jimmy Gulzar, for her daughter. She had to pay alimony of $2 million to him.She had a big wedding ceremony in Egypt a year after her wedding with Stephen Belafonte.
See the events in life of Mel B in Chronological Order
People Also ViewedAlso Listed In