Mario Mims is an American hip-hop artist known popularly by his pseudonym Yo Gotti. He is one of the many hard-core rappers to come from the Southern hip-hop school of the 1990s. Yo Gotti’s rapping style has been influenced by both the non-Southern and Southern hip-hop schools of music but he prefers and is partial to the Gangsta style. He is admired and recognized for his expertise in rapping throughout the world and at present he is the Memphis Town’s underground rap leader and brightest hip-hop star. He was born in a family of hustlers and thus, he started to follow-in their footsteps. However, he decided to change his ways to being a rapper as he understood that ‘Either you hustle till you go to jail or you transition out’. Being inspired by rap icons like Three Six Mafia, 8 Ball & MJG, Kingpin Skinny Pimp, Al Kapone, Gangsta Blackhe and Lil Yo, he chose the musical path and released many popular albums like ‘From da Dope Game 2 da Rap Game’, ‘Self Explanatory’, ‘Life’, ‘I Am’ etc. The lyrics of his songs often describe the dangers of life in the hoods and also are sexually explicit.
- Mario Mims was born on 19th May, 1981 in Memphis, Tennese, United States and was raised in the notorious crime obsessed neighbourhoods in Ridge Crest housing projects. Both his parents as well as uncles and aunts were hustlers and thus, he was introduced to the Memphis criminal part of the society almost from birth. Mims in a conversation once said ‘Being from the hood, things like hustling will come your way’.Yo Gotti was born in a middle-class family. His father was a gym instructor of of Zimbabwe origin while his mother was of South African origin. Nothing is known of his educational past. He was brought up in a religious family and he follows Christianity as his religion.When Mario was in 2nd grade, police raided their house and his parents and other family members were arrested. He thus, had to fend for the household so he started thugging on the streets.Later, he gravitated towards music and started to rap at the age of 14 with his crew around Memphis during the 90s. He released his first Gangsta style Underground cassette titled ‘Youngsta On A Come Up’ as ‘Lil Yo’ under ‘Crime Lordz Records’ label in 1996.He put the cassette on consignment at local small, independently owned and run record stores and started selling hand to hand with a pack of weed. This cassette became a local hit making him a sensational rapper in the local community.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Initial Career
- Yo Gotti next released the albums of Trap Gangsta hip-hop genres titled ‘Da Dope Game 2 Da Rap Game’, ‘Self-Explanatory’ and ‘Block Burning, Vol 1’(2000, 2001and 2002) under Inevitable Entertainment label.After getting signed in by TVT record label he released his fourth studio album titled ‘Life’ in 2003 with its first single titled ‘Dirty South Soldiers’ (a duet with Lil John). Next, his song titled ‘Full Time’ featured on the popular drama film Hustle & Flow’s soundtrack in 2005 and then he released his fifth album titled ‘Back 2 da Basics’ in 2006 with the same label and the album reached 3rd position on the US Rap charts.As of July 2017, Yo Gotti released 22 mixtapes since March 2006 and his Cocaine Muzik mixtapes received a great fan following with his ‘Cocaine Muzik 2’ (2009) especially securing 11th position on US Rap charts.Recommended Lists:
- After a series of mixtapes, Yo Gotti released his next album titled ‘Live from the Kitchen’ in 2012 with Polo Grounds/RCA record label and it secured 4th position on the US Rap charts and 12th position on the Billboard 200. This album was commercially successful selling over 16 thousand copies in the first week and has sold over 36 thousand copies as per 2017 in the US.The singles of the album titled ‘We Can Get It On’, ‘Single’, ‘5 Star’ and ‘Women Lie, Men Lie (featuring Lil Wayne)’ charted at notable positions on Billboards charts. The song ‘Harder’ featuring Rick Ross debuted at 6th position on the US Bubbling Under R&B/ Hip- Hop Songs. The music video of the single titled ‘5 Star’ has a cameo appearance by Rick Ross and the single itself sold 500 thousand copies and amassed Gold certifications from RIAA.Yo Gotti released his seventh album titled ‘I Am’ in 2013 and it reached 7th position and 2nd position on the weekly US Billboard 200 and US Top R&B/ Hip Hop Albums charts. It has sold over 212 thousand copies in the United States as of 2015. The album’s first single titled ‘Act Right’ featuring Jezzy and YG and the fourth single titled ‘I Know’ featuring Rich Homie Quan received Gold certifications from RIAA. The second single ‘King Shit’ reached 5th position on the US Billboard Bubbling Under R&B/ Hip-Hop Singles chart.Works with CMG label
- Collective Music Group formerly known as Cocaine Muzik Group is a record label company founded by Yo Gotti and at present he is the CEO and President of the company.Yo Gotti released mixtapes from 2014 to 2017 with CMG record label; some of them being ‘The Return’, ‘2 Federal’, ‘Chapter One’, ‘White Friday (CM 9)’ etc.He released his eighth album titled ‘The Art of Hustle’ in 2016 with Epic Records and CMG and it debuted at 4th position on Billboard 200 charts and 1st position on the US Top R&B/ Hip-Hop Albums as of 2016. The album sold over 45 thousand copies in the first week of its release in US. The first single titled ‘Down in the DM’ reached 13th position on US Billboard Hot 100 chart.Next, he featured in three songs of Meghan Trainor’s album titled ‘Thank You’. The song ‘No’ reached 5th position on US Billboard Hot 100 and the song ‘Me Too’ reached 20th position on US Billboards chart. As of 2017, he has released mixtapes titled ‘Gotti Made-It (with Mike Will Made-It)’ and ‘Heartless- Yo’.Throughout his career, he has collaborated with many hip-hop artists like Niki Minaj, Slim Thug, DJ Drama, Nelly, Birdman, Jim Jones to create powerful hip--hop music.Personal Life & Legacy
- Mario married Lakeisha Mims and had two daughters and a son with her. However, later they decided to separate their ways. It is deduced from sources that the children are as of now living with their father.Thereafter, he was into a relationship with Jammie Moses and they were blessed with three children but they too are said to have gone separate ways but their current status is unknown.Net Worth
- As of July 2017, Yo Gotti’s estimated net-worth is $ 10 million.Trivia
- Yo Gotti has made a fourteen minute documentary titled ‘Born Hustler’ where one can see the North Memphis neighbourhood where he grew up along with his mother and aunties talking about their hustling profession and how he was from childhood.He has a huge collection of cars and he owns Lamborghini, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jeep and Ferrari 458 Spider. Gotti also owns a big jewelry collection, which is worth approximately between $ 0.75 million to $ 1.25 million.
How To CiteArticle Title- Yo Gotti BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/yo-gotti-13338.phpLast Updated- July 11, 2017
People Also Viewed