Tahith Chong Biography
Tahith Chong is a Dutch professional footballer who currently plays as a left winger for English Premier League club Manchester United. Known for his ability to score goals from outside of the box, he is more comfortable on the left wing as it allows him to show off his blistering pace. However, he is capable of covering as a striker as well and also plays in midfield. He moved from Dutch professional football club Feyenoord Rotterdam to Manchester United in July 2016. Despite suffering a long-term injury, his performance for Kieran McKenna's Under-18 side was good enough to earn the attention of fans and coaches, and bagged him a place in the Manchester United under-23 squad managed by Ricky Sbragia. He has showcased brilliant performances in his two appearances for the team so far, which was recognized by the EA Sports video game, 'FIFA 18', which included him into Manchester United's first team squad. News outlets recently reported that his first team debut was imminent as José Mourinho, manager of the professional senior team, hinted at putting him and his teammate Angel Gomes on the bench for Manchester United's FA Cup away match against Huddersfield, even though that didn't happen. He has represented The Netherlands national team at under-15, under-16, under-17 and under-19 levels.
- In 2009, at the age of 10, Tahith Chong began playing football at Feyenoord Rotterdam. He was rated one of the country's hottest prospects and was sought after by teams like Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal in early 2016. He gained extensive international media coverage after it was reported that Manchester United was closing in on signing a deal with the Dutch youngster, beating rivals Chelsea to it. Feyenoord was reportedly desperate to retain him in the team, with manager Giovanni van Bronckhorst trying to convince him to stay. However, Chong, who was initially eager to stay, mentioned in a later interview that while he "would have liked to stay longer at Feyenoord because it's my club", the discussions of a new contract with the club "were very vague". That was the reason for him to proceed further with talks of move to Manchester.
- He was finally signed by Manchester United on July 27, 2016. He joined the team alongside Angel Gomes and DJ Buffonge, and while it was a very good setup for the youth team, he managed to stand out with a lot of goal assists and a few scores for himself. Despite his serious knee injury that had forced him out of the field for 10 months, he has made his way into the Under-23 team of the club and is constantly rooted by fans for inclusion into the first team.
- Soon after joining the club, Tahith Chong proved his worth by winning an award for the best attacking player at the Otten Cup pre-season tournament. He helped the team reach the finals, but Manchester United lost to Anderlecht on penalties. While Manchester youth team was defeated by Southampton at Old Trafford in their 2016-17 FA Youth Cup match on December 12, 2016, he scored the only goal for the club. During the Academy game against Everton on January 21, 2017, he sustained a long-term ACL injury which prematurely ended his debut season run and sidelined him till November. He had to miss the chance to participate in the UEFA Youth League play-off. His first season figures were four goals in 15 appearances, among which 13 were as a starter.
- He returned to the squad as a 70-minute substitute in the match against Blackburn Rovers on November 18, 2017. Since his return, he has scored four times in five starts and made it to the under-23 team of the club. He made his debut for the squad in their match against Tottenham Hotspur on January 29, 2018. Despite the loss, he made headlines after scoring the only goal against Spurs at Old Trafford, which José Mourinho was also watching. On February 4, 2018, he played his next match for the U-23 team against Derby County, which ended in a draw. Most recently, he impressed with his performance against Newcastle’s under-18 side on February 10, 2018.
- Tahith Chong was born on December 4, 1999 in Willemstad, the capital of the Dutch-Caribbean island of Curaçao, which is the birthplace of his mother as well. He moved to Rotterdam at the age of 10 after joining Feyenoord club. After he was recruited by Manchester United, his parents supported him in the big move of his career by relocating to England with him.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed