Stephanie Faracy Biography
Stephanie Faracy is an American actress famous for playing supporting roles in movies like ‘Heaven Can Wait’, ‘Hocus Pocus’, ‘Sideways’, and ‘Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates’. Raised in Elk Grove Village, Illinois, she learned acting at Illinois Wesleyan University and Yale School of Drama. She started her career with stage productions in New York and then proceeded to Los Angeles. She eventually made her television debut in an episode of the ABC sitcom ‘Laverne & Shirley’ in 1976. Over the course of her extensive career than has spanned more than four decades, she has appeared in a variety of roles in films like ‘The Great Outdoors’ and ‘Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life’. Also active on television, she has played minor roles in short-lived sitcoms including ‘His & Hers,’ ‘True Colors,’ and ‘Ugly Betty.’ Even though she is in her sixties now, the actress continues to work consistently, playing older, grandmotherly figures in films and television shows.
- Stephanie Faracy started her acting career with stage productions in New York and then in Los Angeles. In 1976, she made her debut in television by performing in an episode of the ABC sitcom ‘Laverne & Shirley’. She then starred in two unsold sitcom pilots before appearing in the 1978 comedy film ‘Heaven Can Wait’ as Corinne. In the subsequent year, she portrayed the role of Angel Childress in Columbia Pictures’ drama film ‘When You Comin' Back, Red Ryder?’, and appeared as Babbette in the 20th Century Fox' comedy ‘Scavenger Hunt’.
- Along with films, she enjoyed a long-running career on television as well. In 1979-80, she appeared in CBS’ short-lived sitcom ‘The Last Resort’. In 1983-84, she was cast in another CBS sitcom named ‘Goodnight, Beantown’ along with Bill Bixby and Mariette Hartley. Besides these, she also appeared in a number of other TV series like ‘The Thorn Birds’ (1983), ‘Space’ (1985), and ‘Windmills of the Gods’ (1988). Her film credits in the 1980s include ‘Blind Date,’ a 1987 romantic comedy in which she appeared with Bruce Willis and Kim Basinger. In 1988, she co-starred alongside Dan Aykroyd and John Candy in another comedy movie ‘The Great Outdoors’.
- In 1990, she appeared in NBC’s short-lived TV series ‘His & Hers’ before portraying the role of Ellen Freeman in the Fox sitcom ‘True Colors’ alongside Frankie Faison, Cleavon Little and Nancy Walker, who passed away towards the end of the show's run in 1992.
- In the following years, she played supporting roles in the TV series ‘Touched by an Angel’, ‘Wings’, ‘Murphy Brown’, ‘Will & Grace’, ‘Frasier’, ‘Grey's Anatomy’, ‘Ugly Betty’, ‘How I Met Your Mother’, ‘Castle’, ‘Temple Grandin’, ‘Desperate Housewives’, ‘Modern Family’, and ‘How to Get Away with Murder’. Her later film credits include the role of Sandra Oh's mother in ‘Sideways’ (2004). In 2016, she had a recurring role in the drama series ‘Devious Maids’ and appeared as Zac Efron's mother Rosie Stangle in the film ‘Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates’.
- Stephanie Faracy was born on 1st January 1952, in Brooklyn, New York, USA. Her birthplace was Brooklyn but she was raised in Elk Grove Village, Illinois. She attended Elk Grove High School where she developed her interest in acting. She studied acting at Illinois Wesleyan University and Yale School of Drama before beginning her acting career on New York stages. Her siblings also grew up to become actors. Her brother Brian and sister Peggy also do voice-over work along with acting.
- She has found consistent work in the show business even as an older actress in her later years. She has been mainly playing minor roles in the later phase of her career.
- The actress is currently residing in Brooklyn. She never married and has always kept her personal life away from the media glare.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed