Sergio Agüero Biography
Nick Name: Kun
Sun Sign: Gemini
Also Known As: Sergio Leonel Kun Agüero
Born in: Buenos Aires
Famous as: Footballer
Spouse/Ex-: iannina Maradona (m. 2008–2013)
father: Leonel del Castillo
mother: Adriana Agüero
children: Benjamín Agüero Maradona
City: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Sergio Agüerois an Argentine footballer who plays for the Argentine national football team and the ‘Premier League’ club ‘Manchester City.’ He has been a football fanatic since his childhood days in Buenos Aires. At the age of 15, he became the youngest Argentine player to participate in the reputed tournament ‘Argentine Primera División.’ Impressed by his magnificent performance, the ‘La Liga’ club ‘Atlético Madrid’ acquired him in 2006. With ‘Atlético,’ he has scored 101 goals in the 234 games that he has played in. He also assisted his team in a major way in the ‘UEFA Europa League’ and the ‘UEFA Super Cup’ in 2010. In 2011, ‘Manchester City’ offered him a contract, which he gladly accepted. Soon, he broke many records and became the highest goal-scorer among non-European players of the league. In November 2017, he further became the all-time highest goal-scorer for ‘Manchester City.’ Sergio has represented his national team in two ‘FIFA World Cups’ and one ‘Copa América.’
- Sergio Agüero was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on June 2, 1988. He was the second-born child of his parents. His father, Leonel, was a taxi driver, and his mother, Adriana, was a homemaker. Sergio was raised in a huge family, with six siblings.
- His parents were teenagers when they conceived him and were financially weak too. This led to a lot of difficulties when his mother was pregnant with him. Situations did not change much after he was born, and the family struggled to survive. The family moved to Florencio Varela when Sergio was 2 years old. .
- Sergio’s father played football in his youth, but was not very keen on building a career in the game. However, his passion for the game remained intact and influenced Sergio. Soon, Leonel took charge of training his son, as he could not afford to enroll his son into a football academy, owing to financial hardships.
- Luckily, the football infrastructure in Argentina was very strong and so was the ‘Independiente,’ a youth system that promoted young talent in the game. Sergio played with their junior division, till he was finally allowed to debut in a match against ‘Club Atlético’ in 2003.
- Aged a little over 15 years, he became the youngest player to make his division debut on the field. The record was previously held by football legend Diego Maradona. Hence, Sergio also became the youngest Argentine to play in the ‘Copa Libertadores,’ in 2004. His performance in the tournament earned him a spot in the national ‘Under-20’ team, which competed in the 2005 ‘FIFA Under-20 World Cup,’ which was eventually won by Argentina.
- In the 2005–2006 season, Sergio’s performance bettered, and he ended up scoring 18 goals in the 36 league matches that he played in. Sergio confirmed the news about various European clubs trying to acquire him. Soon, he announced that it was his last season with the local Argentine club. ‘Atlético Madrid’ seemed to be the top contender in the race to acquire Sergio, and the transfer was confirmed in May.
- In May 2006, ‘Atlético Madrid’ officially acquired Sergio. However, Sergio faced controversy for using his hand while scoring a goal in October 2006. His debut season for ‘Atlético Madrid’ was a mixed bag, as Sergio managed to score only seven goals in all the games that he played for them.
- In the 2007–2009 season of ‘La Liga’, he became a star of the team by scoring 19 goals during the league, thereby becoming the third-highest goal-scorer. In March 2008, he was named the ‘Man of the Match’ in a match against Barcelona. His performances against stronger teams helped ‘Atlético Madrid’ with the fourth spot in the final tally. This meant that they had qualified for the ‘UEFA Champions League’ for the first time in ten years.
- The 2008–2009 season was another success story for Sergio, as by the end of the season, he became one of the top ten contenders for the ‘Pichichi Trophy.’ He also played a role in leading his team to qualify for yet another ‘Champions League.’ In the next season, he helped his team in reaching the finals of the ‘UEFA Europa League’ and the ‘Copa del Rey.’
- In 2010, ‘Atlético Madrid’ won the ‘UEFA Super Cup’ by defeating the favorites, ‘Internazionale.’ The club soon announced about the extension of their contract with Sergio for another 4 years and also made Sergio the vice-captain of the team, rewarding him for his essential role in the club’s amazing performances across various tournaments.
- The 2010–2011 season was immensely fruitful for ‘Atlético Madrid,’ as Sergio was in his career-best form. He scored 20 league goals, and between March and May 2011, he scored back-to-back goals in seven consecutive games. In May 2011, Sergio hit his career’s first hat-trick, in a match against ‘Mallorca.’
- Despite his comfortable stint with ‘Atlético Madrid,’ Sergio aimed for bigger things, and in mid-2011, he officially announced that he wished to move away from ‘Atlético Madrid.’ The club’s fans were not too happy with his decision, and he was jeered at in his last match with the club. In July 2011, the ‘Premier League’ club ‘Manchester City’ confirmed that Sergio had been acquired from ‘Atlético Madrid.’
- He made his debut for ‘Manchester’ in a ‘Premier League’ match against ‘Swansea City.’ His team won the match. Although his first season was plagued with injuries, he kept making appearances on the field from time to time. Sergio debuted in the ‘League Cup’ against ‘Arsenal’ and scored a goal, which was the only goal scored during the match. In the 2011–2012 ‘UEFA Europa League,’ he helped his team reach the top 16. On May 2012, he was named the ‘Manchester City Player of the Year.’
- After another successful 2012–2013 season, it was reported that ‘Real Madrid’ had been eyeing Sergio for a long time. In November 2013, ‘Manchester City’ reached the knockout stage of the ‘Champions League’ for the first time. In 2014, Sergio helped his team win the 2014 ‘Football League Cup.’
- In August 2014, he signed another contract with ‘Manchester City,’ which meant he would be retained till 2019. In December 2014, he was named the ‘Football Supporters’ Federation Player of the Year.’ He was named the ‘Premier League Player of the Month’ for November 2014. By the end of the 2014–2015 season, he had scored 26 goals in the ‘Premier League’ and had won the ‘Premier League Golden Boot’ award.
- The 2015–16 ‘Premier League’ was another success story for Sergio, as he scored 24 goals and achieved the best minute-to-goal ratio. He was named the ‘Player of the Month’ for January 2018.
- Sergio has been part of many youth squads representing Argentina in international games. He has represented his team in the 2010 ‘FIFA World Cup’ and in the 2011 ‘Copa América.’ He has also been an integral part of Argentina’s squad for the 2014 ‘FIFA World Cup.’ Unfortunately, his team lost in the finals of the ‘World Cup.’ He also represented his team in the 2015 ‘Copa America,’ where Argentina lost in the finals again.
- Sergio Agüero got married to Gianinna Maradona, the daughter of legendary Argentine footballer, Diego Maradona, in 2008. The couple had a son in 2009. However, the marriage did not last long, and the couple divorced in 2013. It is rumored that he is currently in a romantic relationship with Argentine singer Karina Tejeda.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed