Sarah Hyland is an American actress who received critical acclaim for portraying the role of Haley Dunphy in the ABC sitcom 'Modern Family'. Coming from a family involved in the show business, she started acting when she was only four years old, and later worked in theatre, films and television. During her early teenage years, she made her official Broadway debut in a production of 'Grey Gardens' in the role of Jackie Bouvier. Following her success on stage, she was flooded with offers for roles in films and television series. Starting with small roles in movies like 'Private Parts' and 'Annie', she went on to star in 'Geek Charming', 'Struck by Lightning', 'Scary Movie 5' and 'Vampire Academy'. Before 'Modern Family', she had recurring roles in other TV series like 'One Life to Live' and 'Lipstick Jungle'. Sarah, however, had a rough start as a child. She had severe health issues that, according to doctors, could have prevented her from having a normal life. Nevertheless, with support from her parents, she has overcome a lot of the issues, and is now determined to have an "extraordinary" life.
- Sarah Hyland was born on on November 24, 1990, in Manhattan, New York. Her father, Edward James Hyland, is a theater and film actor, while her mother, Melissa Canaday, is a stage acting coach. She has a younger brother, Ian Hyland, who is also an actor.She has been involved in the entertainment industry since she was a child, as her father used to take her on his theatre trips. Her mother homeschooled her till she was in the 2nd grade, after which she attended a public school.She is also a dancer, as well as singer. She started her dance training when she was only three, and at the age of seven, started her vocal training. Along with her dance class, she was invited to perform at 'Reel to Real' at Lincoln Center.When she was in the 6th grade, she was accepted into Professional Performing Arts School. She graduated from there in 2008. At the age of 18, she moved to Los Angeles, California, to pursue her acting career.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- Sarah Hyland has been doing commercials and voice-over work since she was four years old. Her first film role came in 1997 when she played Howard Stern's daughter in the movie 'Private Parts'.She soon acted in two 1998 films, 'The Object of My Affection' and 'Advice from a Caterpillar'. The same year, she made a brief appearance in an episode of the short-lived drama series, 'Trinity'.During 1997-1998, she appeared as "Rain Wolfe", an abandoned child, in the longtime TV series, 'Another World'. She would later work with her foster mother in the show, Amy Carlson, in a number of other television shows including 'Falcone' and 'Law & Order'.In 1999, she portrayed the role of Molly in ABC's television movie, 'The Wonderful World of Disney: Annie'. In the film, she worked alongside stars like Kathy Bates, Audra McDonald, Alan Cumming, Victor Garber and Kristin Chenoweth.She played the 8-year-old Audrey Hepburn in Jennifer Love Hewitt's 'The Audrey Hepburn Story', released in 2000. Later that year, she appeared in the film adaptation of Joseph Mitchell's book 'Joe Gould's Secret'. She also played a role in the crime drama series, 'Falcone'.In the next few years, she did small roles in a few movies and made guest appearances in a number of television shows including 'All My Children' (2000), 'Law & Order: Special Victims Unit' (2001), 'Touched by an Angel' (2002), 'Law & Order' (2004) and 'Law & Order: Trial by Jury' (2005).In 2007, she got a recurring role in the American soap opera 'One Life to Live', and appeared in seven episodes. She appeared in the comedy-drama series 'Lipstick Jungle' for two seasons during 2008-2009.Continue Reading BelowIn 2009, within two weeks of relocating to Los Angeles, she was cast in a lead role in the pilot of the ABC sitcom 'Modern Family'. She has been playing Haley Dunphy, the eldest of the Dunphy children, for 8 seasons of the show.In 2009, she also returned to 'Law & Order: Special Victims Unit' with her breakthrough role as Jennifer Banks in the episode 'Hothouse'.In 2011, she co-starred with her then boyfriend Matt Prokop in the Disney Channel Original Movie 'Geek Charming'. The next year, she played one of the leads in the coming-of-age drama 'Struck by Lightning'.She was cast in the fifth installment of the 'Scary Movie' franchise in 2013. One of her recent major roles has been in the 2014 fantasy comedy film 'Vampire Academy', which, unfortunately, was a failure critically and commercially.She worked as a voice actor in 'Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja' during 2012-15. She is currently a voice actor for 'The Lion Guard', a sequel to the epic musical film, 'The Lion King'. She has lent her voice in films like 'Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League: Gotham City Breakout', 'Robot Chicken DC Comics Special 2: Villains in Paradise' and 'The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar'.Major Works
- Sarah Hyland has made a permanent place in the hearts of the audience with her portrayal of the silly but independent Haley Dunphy. The show is running successfully for over eight years and has been the tenth-highest revenue-generating show in 2012.Awards & Achievements
- Sarah Hyland, along with the other cast members of 'Modern Family', won the Screen Actors Guild award for 'Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series' four consecutive years from 2011 to 2014. In 2014, she won the Glamour Awards for 'Comedy Actress' for her role in the show.Personal Life & Legacy
- Sarah Hyland dated Matt Prokop from 2009 to 2014. They met while auditioning for 'High School Musical 3: Senior Year', and later worked together on the television movie 'Geek Charming'. They lived together from 2011 to 2014, after which they broke up following claims that he physically and verbally abused her. She even got a temporary restraining order against Prokop.The actress is currently in a relationship with her 'Vampire Academy' co-star Dominic Sherwood. They have made multiple public appearances together.When she was nine years old, she was diagnosed with kidney dysplasia, which eventually causes the organ to malfunction. She went through kidney transplant surgery in 2012, when her father donated her one of his kidneys.Trivia
- As a child, Sarah Hyland was unable to go to summer camps because of health issues. She later got involved with the Lopez Foundation, which helps kids with kidney disease experience overnight camping, providing needed medical attention on the spot.In September 2012, she became a part of a Nintendo 3DS ad campaign along with Dianna Agron and Gabby Douglas. She said that she has always been a fan of Nintendo, playing 'Mario Kart' as a child. She was later drawn to the fashion game 'Style Savvy Trendsetters'.
Pictures of Sarah HylandPrevious NextImage Credithttp://www.look.co.uk/fashion/modern-family-actress-sarah-hyland-gets-a-very-sexy-fashion-makeover-37784Image Credithttp://www.eonline.com/news/648476/sarah-hyland-gushes-over-amazing-boyfriend-dominic-sherwood-swears-she-knows-nothing-about-sofia-vergara-s-weddingImage Credithttp://www.justjared.com/2015/12/22/sarah-hyland-shuts-down-rumor-she-has-a-drinking-problem/
How To CiteArticle Title- Sarah Hyland BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/sarah-hyland-29831.phpLast Updated- February 07, 2017
People Also Viewed