Phillipa Soo Biography
Sun Sign: Gemini
Born in: Libertyville, Illinois
Famous as: Actress
Spouse/Ex-: Steven Pasquale (m. 2017)
U.S. State: Illinois
education: The Juilliard School (2012), Libertyville High School
Phillipa Soo is a talented American actress who gained popularity for playing ‘Eliza’ in the Broadway musical, ‘Hamilton’. Soo’s brilliance both on and off camera and her artistic competency have helped her get acting projects in all mediums – be it theatre, film or television. Coming from an art-centric family, Soo was encouraged to take up music and acting from an early age. Polishing her skills further at The Juilliard School’s acting program, Soo soon secured the role of Natasha in Off-Broadway, ‘The Great Comet’, and has not looked back ever since. As for her career graph, the character of Elizabeth Schuyler Hamilton in ‘Hamilton’ has been her most spectacular performance till date, earning her rave reviews both critically and popularly. Along with fellow cast members, she even got a chance to perform at The White House. Over the years, Soo has proved what a powerhouse of talent she is, and her body of work is a testimony to the same!
- Phillipa Soo was born on May 31, 1990, in Libertyville, Illinois, USA. Her father was a doctor father and her mother was an art enthusiast. While her father had migrated from China, her was of European-American ethnicity and was born and raised in Southern Illinois.
- Since an early age, Soo was encouraged to pursue acting. Her grandmother was a concert pianist and wanted Soo to be musically trained as well. Soo learned to play the piano but soon got intrigued by singing. She then took singing lessons.
- Despite being musically proficient, she did not neglect her education, as her family considered it to be an important aspect of growing up. Soo attended Libertyville High School from 2004 to 2008, after which she joined the Juilliard School's acting program. She graduated from there in 2012.
- Not long after graduating from The Juiliard School, Phillipa Soo got her big break in theatre and was chosen for the role of Natasha Rostova in Dave Malloy’s ‘Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812’ by the Ars Nova Production. The show was based on Leo Tolstoy’s ‘War & Peace’.
- Soo’s spectacular performance as Natasha in ‘Great Comet’ caught the eye of director Thomas Kail who asked her to take part in the reading of the musical ‘Hamilton’ for the role of ‘Eliza’ (Elizabeth Schuyler Hamilton). ‘Hamilton’ became the biggest hit of that time, sky-rocketing the careers of every actor involved in the production.
- Soo played Eliza throughout Hamilton’s Off-Broadway and Broadway debuts from 2015 to 2016. The depth that she brought to her character earned her numerous accolades and appreciation, including a Tony Award nomination for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical.
- Soo’s final performance for ‘Hamilton’ came on July 9, 2016, but not before helping her realize all her dreams and aspirations; and bringing her stardom and fanfare. In 2016, Soo also performed at The White House along with her cast members.
- From December 2016 to January 2017, Soo was seen playing the lead role in the pre-Broadway engagement of ‘Amélie’ in Los Angeles’s Ahmanson Theatre. On March 9, 2017, the show had its preview performances on Broadway at the Walter Kerr Theatre, before officially opening on April 3, 2017. Interestingly, Soo got the role of ‘Amelie’ in the workshop version of the new musical. The final show was performed on May 21, 2017.
- Following her stint as both ‘Eliza’ and ‘Amelie’, Soo capped the role of Rebecca in ‘The Parisian Woman’. The preview performances of the show began from November 7, 2017 at Hudson Theatre. It officially ran from November 30, 2017 to March 11, 2018.
- Amidst all her theatrical works, Soo appeared on television and films as well. In 2013, she was cast in the recurring role of Lexi for the NBC television series, ‘Smash’. She appeared in five episodes of the show before its immature cancellation. Same year, she appeared in the short film, ‘Keep the Change’.
- Her other television trysts include playing the supporting role of Nia in the 2014 television pilot, ‘Dangerous Liaisons’. However, her scenes did not make it to the final cut. In 2016, Soo gave her voice for various characters in the Disney film, ‘Moana’.
- Soo has been cast in the CBS’ upcoming drama pilot, ‘The Code’. It is the story of military’s brightest minds who take on the country’s toughest challenges inside the courtroom and out. Soo plays the character of 2nd Lieutenant Harper, a hyper-organized officer who is capable of sub-dividing any problem into color-coded action points.
- The masterpiece of Phillipa Soo’s flourishing career was her role as Elizabeth Schuyler Hamilton in Broadway’s hit musical, ‘Hamilton’. Touted as her best ever role till date, Soo was every bit relatable and exceptional in the character of Eliza. Her performance was highly appreciated and applauded by both the critics and the audience who labelled her one of the ‘most promising newcomers’.
- In February 2016, Phillipa Soo got engaged to actor Steven Pasquale. The two eventually walked the aisle on September 24, 2017. They have been enjoying a committed relationship and are very much in love. The duo does not have any children as of now.
|2016||Best Musical Theater Album||Winner|
How To Cite
People Also Viewed