Sun Sign: Aquarius
Also Known As: Michael Kenji Shinoda
Born in: Agoura Hills, California, U.S.
Famous as: Musician, Record Producer & Artist
Height: 1.8 m
Spouse/Ex-: Anna Hillinger (m. 2003)
children: Otis Akio Shinoda
Notable Alumni: Art Center College Of Design
U.S. State: California
Net worth: $23 million as of Jan 15, 2017
education: Agoura High School, Art Center College of Design
awards: 2006 - Japanese American National Museum’s Award of Excellence
Michael Kenji Shinoda, popularly known as Mike Shinoda in the American rock band circuit, is an American musician, vocalist, rapper, keyboardist, guitarist, songwriter and record producer. He is better known as the co-founder of the popular American rock band ‘Linkin Park’. Shinoda first formed the band along with his schoolmate Brad Delson, under the name ‘Xero’, and after achieving a college degree in graphic design and illustration and side by side working on putting the band properly together, the band was named ‘Linkin Park’—in 2002 its first album ‘Hybrid Theory’ was released. Shinoda remained mostly involved with the technical intricacies of the band and its production processes in the beginning but later on expanded his role by giving his vocals, rapping and actively working on the artwork of the album. ‘Fort Minor’ is another individual project of Shinoda’s, which he initiated to satiate his desire to create hip-hop music. He is a talented artist with a natural knack for artwork and design and has had two public showcases of his artwork—one in America and the other in Japan. Shinoda began a college scholarship at Art Center College of Design to help future illustrators and graphic designers—‘Michael K. Shinoda Endowed Scholarship’- it is awarded based on financial necessitate and creative credentials.
- Mike Shinoda was born in Los Angeles to a Japanese-American father and European mother. He was brought up in the suburban area of Agoura Hills in Los Angeles.His mother wanted him to learn classical music, which is why he was given professional piano lessons since the age of 6. By the time he turned a teenager, he wanted to play jazz, blues and hip-hop.He attended Agoura High School, along with his future Linkin Park bandmates—Brad Delson and Rob Bourdon. After finishing high school, Shinoda went to the Art Center College of Design in the pursuit of studying graphic design and illustration.After graduation, Shinoda got a job as a graphic designer while working on his band —‘Xero’. The band was in need of a singer therefore Jeff Blue was called from Arizona and the band was renamed—‘Linkin Park’.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- With the band’s first album ‘Hybrid Theory’ in 2000, Shinoda involved himself with the technical aspects of the band and the albums it released in the beginning. The album sold over 10 million copies alone in the United States.For Linkin Park’s first remix album, ‘Reanimation’ in 2002, Shinoda directed, structured and administered the whole creative process. The album helped many underground hip hop artists that it featured to reach a larger audience.Shinoda persistently expanded as a musician and studio engineer with band’s second album, ‘Meteora’ in 2003. He also teamed up with graffiti artist DELTA, graphic designer Frank Maddocks and Joe Hahn to work on the artwork of the album.In 2004, Linkin Park’s ‘mash-up’ with Jay-Z, ‘Collision Course’, was released. Shinoda produced and mixed the album, which went on to win a Grammy Award for ‘best rap/song collaboration’.Further exploring his talents in art and graphics, Shinoda’s first public art show ‘Diamonds Spades Hearts & Clubs’ was showcased in 2004. It included a series of ten paintings, which later became ‘The Rising Tied’s’ artwork.Whilst working with Linkin Park, he formed a hip-hop based side-project called ‘Fort Minor’ and in 2005 released an album under it, ‘The Rising Tied’. Its hit single ‘Where'd You Go’ peaked at No.4 on Hot 100 chart.In Linkin Park’s ‘Minutes to Midnight (2007)’, he contributed with vocals for songs like, ‘Bleed It Out’, ‘Hands Held High’, ‘In between’, etc. He was ranked at number 72 of the Top 100 Metal Vocalists of All Time in ‘Hit Parader’.Continue Reading BelowShinoda's next public art show ‘Glorious Excess (BORN)’ opened at the Japanese American National Museum in Los Angeles in 2009. The show included nine new artworks, with a limited signing on opening night.Shinoda’s recent work on Likin Parks’ latest albums: ‘A Thousand Suns (2010)’—for which he shared the production credit with Rick Rubin, ‘Living Things (2012)’ and ‘Recharged (2013)’—remix of ‘Living Things’ and single ‘A Light That Never Comes (2014)’.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Major Works
- Shinoda with his artistic abilities is a multifaceted artist and is best known as the rapper, guitarist, keyboardist and producer of the American rock band Linkin Park. His vocals on ‘Minutes to Midnight’ in 2007 established him as a vocalist.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Awards & Achievements
- Apart from winning two Grammys for Linkin Park’s singles, ‘Crawling’ and ‘Numb/Encore’, Shinoda received an Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters (L.H.D) from Art Center College Of Design and EWP Visionary Award in 2010.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Personal Life & Legacy
- Shinoda got married to Anna Hillinger in 2003. The couple has two children together and their eldest son is Otis Akio Shinoda.Trivia
- Shinoda started writing for ‘The Big Issues’ in 2012 as its US election correspondent.He was awarded the Japanese American National Museum’s Award of Excellence in 2006.Shinoda and Brad Delson brought together the mash-up track of ‘Numb/Encore’ and ‘Yesterday’ by The Beatles--performed live by Jay-Z, Linkin Park and Paul McCartney at 2006 Grammy Awards.His hip-hop project ‘Fort Minor’ won an MTV VMA for ‘Best Ringtone’ in 2006, and was featured in the films and TV programs: ‘Entourage’, ‘Boston Legal’, ‘Gridiron Gang’, ‘Freedom Writers’, ‘Friday Night Lights (TV)’, ‘The Karate Kid’, and ‘Numbers’.His wife is an Author for kids’ books.He lives in Beverly Hills, California.
How To CiteArticle Title- Mike Shinoda BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/mike-shinoda-4997.phpLast Updated- October 05, 2017
People Also Viewed