Lynda Carter Biography
Sun Sign: Leo
Born in: Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Famous as: Actress
Spouse/Ex-: Robert A. Altman (m. 1984), Ron Samuels (m. 1977–1982)
father: Colby Carter
mother: Juana Córdova
children: James Altman, Jessica Altman
U.S. State: Arizona
City: Phoenix, Arizona
Lynda Carter is an American actress, singer and songwriter. She was also crowned Miss World America and is best known for her role in the TV series ‘Wonder Woman’. She made her television debut as a child artist and joined a band ‘Just Us’ during her high school. She joined another band called ‘The Relatives’ with two of her cousins. Lynda attended Arizona State University and dropped out to pursue her career in music. She entered a local beauty pageant and later went on to win the title of Miss World America. She started her television career by making guest appearances in the shows such as ‘Starsky & Hutch’ and gained recognition with the television series ‘Wonder Woman’. She recorded her first album ‘Portrait’ in which she had co-written several songs. Carter has also acted in a number of movies and began her journey in films with ‘Bobbie Jo and the Outlaw’. She has been married twice and has two children from her second marriage with attorney, Robert A. Altman. Carter has once been voted as ‘The Most Beautiful Woman in the World’ by the International Academy of Beauty and the British Press Organization.
- Lynda Carter was born on July 24, 1951 in Phoenix, Arizona to Juanita and Colby Carter. She is the youngest of the three children in the family.
- She made her television debut at the age of five with ‘Lew King's Talent Show’ and joined a band called ‘Just Us’ during her high school. At the age of 16, she joined another band called ‘The Relatives’ with two of her cousins.
- She attended Arizona State University and dropped out after a while to pursue her career in music. She sang with The Garfin Gathering in 1970.
- Lynda Carter won a local Arizona beauty contest in 1972 and went on to win the title of Miss World USA in 1972. She made her first acting appearance with one episode of a police drama ‘Nakia’ in 1974.
- She then made appearances in ‘Matt Helm’ (1975), television movie ‘A Matter of Wife... And Death’, in 1976, and an episode of ‘Starsky & Hutch’, in 1976.
- Lynda gained recognition with her role in the television series ‘Wonder Woman’, which ran from 1975 to 1979. Meanwhile, she also acted in her first film ‘Bobbie Jo and the Outlaw’ in 1976 and recorded her first album ‘Portrait’ in 1978. She had co-written several songs for the album.
- She made guest appearance in an episode of ‘The Muppet Show’ in 1980 and acted in the television movie ‘Hotline’ in 1982. She played the role of Rita Hayworth in her biopic ‘Rita Hayworth: The Love Goddess’, in 1983.
- Her next big project came in 1984 with the television series ‘Partners in Crime’. She also appeared in the television movies ‘Mike Hammer: Murder Takes All’ in 1987 and ‘Daddy’ in 1991.
- Lynda Carter acted in the film ‘Lightning in a Bottle’ in 1993. She then appeared in 22 episodes of ‘Hawkeye’ in 1994-95.
- She acted in the television movies ‘When Friendship Kills’ (1996), ‘She Woke Up Pregnant’ (1996), ‘A Prayer in the Dark’ (1997), ‘Someone to Love Me’ (1998) and ‘Family Blessings’ (1999). She played the role of Governor Jessman in the film ‘Super Troopers’ in 2001.
- Apart from acting, Lynda Carter has also worked as a voice artist and has given her voice in the different versions of the popular video game series ‘The Elder Scrolls’. These games came out in 2002, 2006, 2011 and 2014.
- She Carter appeared in an episode of ‘Hope & Faith’ in 2003 and starred as Lynette in ‘The Creature of the Sunny Side Up Trailer Park’ in 2004.
- In 2005, she starred in two films ‘Sky High’ and ‘The Dukes of Hazzard’. The same year, she acted in two episodes of ‘Law & Order: Special Victims Unit’ and ‘Law & Order’.
- Lynda Carter acted in a short film ‘Tempbot’ and in the television movie ‘Slayer’ in 2006. She also appeared in an episode of ‘Smallville’ and in the film ‘Tattered Angel’ in 2007.
- She came up with her second album ‘At Last’ in 2009 and her third album ‘Crazy Little Things’ in 2011. She played herself in an episode of popular TV series ‘Two and a Half Men’ in 2013 and was a guest judge in body painting reality competition ‘Skin Wars’ in 2014.
- She was a voice artist for the video game ‘Fallout 4’ and also recorded the original soundtrack for the game in 2015. She had a recurring role in the television series ‘Supergirl’ in 2016.
- Lynda Carter is best known for her work in the television series ‘Wonder Woman’ (1975-79). The role gave her lot of recognition in the industry and among the audiences.
- Lynda Carter was crowned Miss World USA in 1972. She was also voted as ‘The Most Beautiful Woman in the World’ by the International Academy of Beauty and the British Press Organization in 1978.
- She won an award for being the Superest Superhero on the Second Annual TV Land Awards in 2004.
- She was inducted into the Hair Fan's Hall of Fame in 2016.
- Lynda Carter is twice married. She married her former talent agent, Ron Samuels in 1977 and the marriage lasted till 1982.
- She then married attorney Robert A. Altman in 1984. The couple has two children, James (born 1988) and Jessica (born 1990), and live in Potomac, Maryland.
- In 2008, she admitted that she had entered a rehabilitation clinic for treatment of alcoholism and has been sober for more than a decade.
- Lynda Carter hosts the Lynda Carter Golf Tournament for charity. She is a strong supporter of the Democratic Party and is good friends with Hillary Clinton.
Lynda Carter Movies
1. Super Troopers (2001)
(Comedy, Crime, Mystery)
2. Sky High (2005)
(Family, Comedy, Sci-Fi, Adventure)
3. Bobbie Jo and the Outlaw (1976)
4. Super Troopers 2 (2018)
(Comedy, Crime, Mystery)
5. The Dukes of Hazzard (2005)
(Action, Adventure, Comedy)
How To Cite
People Also Viewed