Jonas Blue Biography
Jonas Blue is a British DJ, music producer, songwriter, and remix artist. He is known for his distinctive style, and his music is often categorized as tropical house, dance-pop, or EDM. His first major success came with his tropical house-style remix of Tracy Chapman’s song ‘Fast Car.’ Since then, he has released a steady stream of hits, collaborating with a number of artists from Europe and North America. In the media, his style of music has been described as a blend of “dance music with pop sensibilities.” Ever since breaking into the major music scene in 2015, he has collaborated with a wide variety of artists from the UK, North America, and Australia. He has introduced many new voices through his songs and has also given a bigger platform to many lesser-known artists. His songs are almost always expected to achieve the “platinum” or the “multiplatinum” status.
- He was born Guy James Robin, on August 2, 1989, in the Waltham Forest area in London, UK, to Jeremy M Robin and Melissa A Cohen.
- He started learning to play different musical instruments when he was 7 years old. He learnt to play the flute and the saxophone. Growing up, he developed an interest in mixing music and aspired to become a DJ and a music producer.
- Although he was a DJ and a mixer for a long time, his big-league debut happened in the year 2015. That year, he released a cover version of Tracy Chapman’s iconic 1988 hit ‘Fast Car,’ which became an instant hit and established Jonas in the music industry. The song featured vocals by British singer Dakota.
- ‘Fast Car’ peaked at the second spot on the ‘UK Singles’ chart, at a spot that was higher than the original song had ever reached. It also remained among the top 10 songs for 11 weeks. Additionally, the song topped the dance-music charts in 17 countries, such as the US, UK, Australia, Germany, Sweden, and New Zealand.
- ‘Fast Car’ was certified “2 x platinum” by the ‘British Phonographic Industry’ (BPI), “4 x platinum” by the ‘Australian Recording Industry Association’(ARIA), “5 x platinum” by the ‘Swedish Recording Industry Association’ (GLF), “2 x platinum” by the ‘International Federation of the Phonographic Industry’ (IFPI), “2 x platinum” by the ‘Recorded Music New Zealand’ (RMNZ), “platinum” by the ‘Recording Industry Association of America’ (RIAA), and “3 x gold” by the ‘BVMI’ of Germany. It has been streamed over 640 million times on ‘Spotify’ and has been viewed more than 310 million times on ‘Vevo.’
- On June 3, 2016, he released an original single titled ‘Perfect Strangers’ and made it available for digital download in the UK. It featured the vocal talent of English singer and songwriter John Paul “JP” Cooper. The song was published by ‘Virgin EMI Records.’
- ’Perfect Strangers’ peaked at the second spot on the ‘UK Singles’ chart and graced the music charts of many other countries. The song was certified “2 x platinum” by the ‘ARIA,’ “platinum” by the ‘BPI,’ and “gold” by the ‘RIAA.’
- On October 28, 2016, he released his third single, ‘By Your Side,’ as a digital download in the UK. It was published by ‘Virgin EMI Records’ and featured the vocals of British singer and songwriter Rachel Keen, known professionally as “Raye.” It peaked at number 15 on the ‘UK Singles’ chart. It was certified “platinum” by the ‘Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana’ (FIMI) in Italy and “gold” by the ‘BPI.’
- On May 5, 2017, he released his third single, ‘Mama,’ as a digital download. It was published by his own label, ‘Jonas Blue Music.’ It featured vocals by Australian singer Liam Anthony Singe, professionally known as “William Singe.”
- 'Mama’ peaked at the fourth spot on the ‘UK Singles’ chart and graced the charts of other countries across the globe. It was certified “3 x platinum” by the ‘ARIA’ in Australia, “platinum” by the ‘BPI’ in the UK and the ‘BVMI’ in Germany, and “gold” by the ‘RMNZ’ in New Zealand and the ‘RIAA’ in the US. It was also featured among the top 10 tracks of various music charts in the Czech Republic, Ireland, Belgium, Malaysia, Poland, Russia, and Switzerland.
- On October 13, 2017, he released a new single titled ‘We Could Go Back.’ It was published by his label, ‘Jonas Blue Music,’ and featured vocals by the British–Nigerian singer and songwriter Mohammed Animashaun, known professionally as “Moelogo.” The song peaked at the third spot on the ‘Ultratip Flanders’ chart in Belgium, the seventh spot on the ‘New Zealand Heatseekers’ chart, and the eighth spot on the ‘Sweden Heatseekers’ chart.
- On January 5, 2018, his collaborative single with German singer Arlissa, ‘Hearts Ain’t Gonna Lie,’ was released by ‘Virgin EMI Records.’ It peaked at the eight spot on the ‘Billboard US Dance Club’ chart. On March 16, 2018, his collaborative single with US singer Sabrina Carpenter, ‘Alien,’ was released by ‘Hollywood Records. ‘The song peaked at the first position on the ‘Billboard US Dance Club Songs’ chart.
- On May 25, 2018, he released the single titled ‘Rise,’ featuring vocals by the US pop-rap duo ‘Jack & Jack.’ The song was a major hit, peaking at the third position on the ‘UK Singles’ chart. It was certified “platinum” by the ‘ARIA’ and “gold” in the UK and New Zealand.
- Some of his other songs that released in 2018 were ‘I See Love,’ featuring Joe Jonas; ‘Back and Forth,’ featuring MK and Becky Hill; and ‘Roll with Me,’ featuring Bantu, Shungudzo, and ZieZie.
- Apart from originals and covers of original songs, he has released a number of remixes of songs by other artists. Some of the artists whose work he has remixed are Birdy, Ellie Goulding, and Zedd.
- He was nominated for the ‘MTV Europe Music Award’ for the ‘Best Push Act’ for his song ‘Fast Car.’
- In 2017, he attended the ‘MTV Europe Music Awards’ ceremony with supermodel Melinda London, giving rise to rumors that they were dating each other.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed