Ilana Glazer Biography
Sun Sign: Aries
Also Known As: Ilana Rose Glazer
Born in: Long Island, New York, United States
Famous as: Actress, Comedian
Spouse/Ex-: David Rooklin (m. 2017)
father: Larry Glazer
mother: Sandi Wexler
U.S. State: New Yorkers
education: New York University
Ilana Glazer is an American actress and comedian, who garnered fame as the co-creator of the Comedy Central series ‘Broad City’, in which she also starred. A native of New York, Ilana Glazer was a student of Smithtown High School before enrolling at New York University to study psychology. In 2006, she started attending the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre and subsequently acted in various plays in and around New York. She made her screen debut in the TV series ‘Acting Reel Master Database’ in 2010. A year before that, she started filming for ‘Broad City’ with her co-showrunner and co-star Abbi Jacobson. ‘Broad City’ premiered in January 2014 and concluded in March 2019 after airing five seasons. A critical as well as a commercial hit, the show earned her two Critics’ Choice Television Award nominations. Glazer had her big-screen debut in the 2013 film ‘How to Follow Strangers’. Besides ‘Broad City’, she has also served as an executive producer on the companion web series ‘Hack Into Broad City’ and the television miniseries ‘Time Traveling Bong’.
- In 2006, Ilana Glazer enrolled at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre. She then became active as a theatre actress in and around New York. She started working on the sitcom ‘Broad City’ with Jacobson in 2009, even before she had made her first on-screen appearance, in the TV show ‘Acting Reel Master Database’ in 2010.
- ‘Broad City’ originally aired as a web series from 2010 to 2011 with Glazer and Jacobson playing fictional versions of themselves,. The series garnered a positive response, including from comedian and actress Amy Poehler, who reached out to offer them her assistance in securing a network deal for the series. Initially, cable network FX became interested in making the show and bought a script commitment for it, but they eventually backed out of the deal. Afterwards, Glazer and Jacobson went to Comedy Central, who acquired the rights to the show from FX.
- ‘Broad City’ ran on Comedy Central from January 22, 2014, to March 28, 2019. Besides the Critics’ Choice Awards, Glazer was also nominated for a Writers' Guild of America Award and an MTV Movie & TV Award for the show. The companion web series ‘Hack Into Broad City’, which was also broadcast from 2014 and 2019, earned Glazer, Jacobson, and their co-writers two Primetime Emmy Award nominations for Outstanding Short Form Comedy or Drama Series .
- As an actress, Ilana Glazer has also appeared in a series of short films. Including ‘Guess’ (2011), ‘Nature Boys’ (2012), and ‘Little Horribles’ (2013). In 2016, she portrayed Sharee in the television miniseries ‘Time Travelling Bong’. Between 2015 and 2016, she lent her voice to a character named Penny Carson in two episodes of Netflix’s adult animated comedy-drama series ‘BoJack Horseman’. She also voiced various characters on Adult Swim’s animated series ‘Brad Neely's Harg Nallin' Sclopio Peepio’ in 2016. Illana Glazer made her movie debut as in actress in 2013 mystery-romance film ‘How to Follow Strangers’.. A year later, she appeared in the anthology film ‘Intimate Semaphores’ as an animal shelter worker in the segment ‘High and Dry’. She made her next big-screen appearance in the 2015 comedy fantasy ‘The Night Before’, in which she got the chance to work with fellow comedians Seth Rogen and Mindy Kaling. In the 2017 comedy thriller ‘Rough Night’, she shared the screen with the likes of Scarlett Johansson, Kate McKinnon, and Zoë Kravitz. Glazer is set to star in the upcoming horror film ‘False Positive’, which is currently in the post-production stage. She has written the screenplay for the film with its director, John Lee.
- She is also working on the upcoming Netflix series based on the 1960 Dr. Seuss book ‘Green Eggs and Ham’, in which she is playing the role of EB. Her stand-up special, ‘Ilana Glazer: The Planet Is Burning’, is slated to premiere on Amazon Prime Video in late 2019.
- Illana Glazer was born on April 12, 1987, in St. James, New York, USA, to Sandi (née Wexler) and Larry Glazer. Both her parents are employed in the insurance and finance industry. She has a brother named Eliot, and their family is Reform Jewish. She attended Smithtown High School in Smithtown, New York. After graduating from there, she began studying at New York University, from where she obtained her degree in psychology in 2009.
- She spent a significant part of her life residing in Brooklyn after she finished college. During this period, she shared an apartment with actress and comedian Rachel Bloom, famous for co-creating and co-starring in The CW comedy-drama series 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend'.
- Glazer had been in a relationship with computational biologist David Rooklin for a long time. Like Glazer, Rooklin is a former student of NYU. They exchanged wedding vows on February 25, 2017, in a private ceremony at the City Hall.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed