Edie Falco Biography
Sun Sign: Cancer
Born in: Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States
Famous as: Actress
siblings: Joseph Falco, Paul Falco, Ruth Falco
children: Anderson Falco, Macy Falco
City: New York City
U.S. State: New Yorkers
Edie Falco is an American actress known for her powerful performances in theatre, television and movies. She was interested in a career in acting from young and pursued Bachelor of Fine Arts in Acting at SUNY Purchase. During the initial years of her career, Edie Falco acted in minor supporting roles in feature films. A few feature films that earned critical acclaim include ‘Cost of Living’, ‘Sunshine State’ and ‘Laws of Gravity’. She later got acting opportunities in television and this in turn showcased her talent as a dramatic actor. She is best known for her performances in television series ‘Oz’, ‘The Sopranos’ and ‘Nurse Jackie’. She also was active in theatre and made several Broadway play appearances like ‘Side Man’, ‘Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de Lune’, ‘'night, Mother’ and ‘The House of Blue Leaves’. Her performances have earned her several prestigious awards like the Primetime Emmy Awards, The Screen Actors Guild Awards and the Golden Globe Awards. She is known to be an advocate of nonprofit organization People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and is a spokesperson of ‘Health Care for America NOW!’.
- Edith "Edie" Falco was born on 5 July 1963, in Brooklyn, New York. She was born to Frank Falco, Jazz drummer who also worked in an advertising agency and Judith, an actress. She has three siblings named Joseph, Paul and Ruth.
- During her childhood, she was raised on Long Island and moved with her family to Hicksville, North Babylon and West Islip. Eventually her family settled in Northport.
- In 1981, she graduated from the Northport High school and went on to pursue graduation at the State University of New York at Purchase. Actors Paul Schulze, Ving Rhames and Stanley Tucci were her fellow college mates. In 1986, she graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Acting.
- After completing her graduation, Edie Falco shifted to Manhattan to pursue her acting career. Alongside auditioning for various roles, she did odd jobs to support herself. It was towards the end of the 1980s that she began getting opportunities in acting.
- In 1989 she appeared in minor roles in feature films ‘The Unbelievable Truth’ and ‘Sidewalk Stories’. In 1991, she was part of the film’ Trust’.
- She appeared in ‘Laws of Gravity’ (1992) alongside character actor Peter Greene. She got her first notable role in 1994 in Woody Allen’s ‘Bullets over Broadway’.
- During this time, Edie Falco appeared in recurring roles in the television series ‘Homicide: Life on the Street’ (1993-1997), ‘Law & Order’ (1993-1998) and ‘New York Undercover’ (1995-1997).
- In 1997, she became part of the cast for television series ‘Oz’. The series was on air until 2000. During the period she also made appearances in feature films like ‘Cop Land’ (1997), ‘Private Parts’ (1997) and ‘Random Hearts’ (1999).
- Her initial theatre performances included the Tony Award-winning ‘Side Man’ (1998-1999) and in the revivals of ‘Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de Lune’ (2002 – 2003).
- In 1999, he was cast in HBO’s crime drama television series ‘The Sopranos’. She portrayed the role of the Carmela, the wife of mobster, Tony Soprano and earned much critical and commercial appreciation for her performance. The series went on air successfully for six seasons, until 2007.
- In 2002, she played the role of Marly Temple in the movie ‘Sunshine State’. Her performance in the movie was much appreciated and earned her several nominations and awards.
- In 2004, she made her next Broadway appearance in yet another revival play ‘night, Mother’ alongside actress Brenda Blethyn.
- Between 2007 and 2008, she became part of satirical sitcom ’30 Rock’. The following year she was cast in medical comedy drama series ‘Nurse Jackie’. She played the titular role and the series went on air for seven seasons until 2015. She was nominated and won multiple awards for her role in the television series.
- Other feature films that she has been part of are: ‘The Great New Wonderful’ (2005), ‘Freedomland’ (2006) and ‘3 Backyards’ (2010). In 2011, she was part of the Broadway play ‘The House of Blue Leaves’, written by John Guare.
- In 2016, she acted in feature film ‘The Comedian’. The same year she started acting in a main role in Louis C.K’s web series ‘Horace and Pete’.
- In early 2017, her film ‘Landline’ had a worldwide premiere. Her upcoming project includes feature films ‘Megan Leavey’ and ‘The Land of Steady Habits’.
- Edie Falco is an actress who has showcased her acting prowess in multiple platforms like feature films, Broadway theatre and television. She is best known for her performances in television series ‘The Sopranos’ and ‘Nurse Jackie’.
- Her performances in feature films and television series have been critically acclaimed and she has been nominated multiple times for several prestigious awards.
- She is a four time winner of Primetime Emmy Awards in the category ‘Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series’. She won the award for ‘The Sopranos’ in 1999, 2001 and 2003, and in 2010 for ‘Nurse Jackie’.
- She is a two time recipient of the Golden Globe Awards for ‘Best Actress – Television Series Drama’ for ‘The Sopranos’ in 2000 and 2003.
- Edie Falco’s performance in ‘The Sopranos’ won her three Screen Actors Guild Awards in the categories ‘Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series’ in 2000, 2003 and 2008.
- She was the recipient of the Theatre World Award for the play ‘Side Man’ in 2002. The same year, she also won the ‘Best Supporting Actress’ in Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards for ‘The Sopranos’.
- The AFI Awards for Female Actor of the Year in a Television Series was awarded to her for ‘The Sopranos’ in 2002.
- In 2002, her performance in the television series ‘The Sopranos’ earned her the Satellite Award for ‘Best Actress – Television Series Drama’.
- In 2003, she won the Satellite Awards for ‘Best Supporting Actress – Motion Picture’, for her movie ‘Sunshine State’.
- The Television Critics Association Awards for ‘Individual Achievement in Drama’ was awarded to her in 2003 for ‘The Sopranos’.
- In 2011, he was awarded the Drama Desk Award for ‘Outstanding Features Actress in Play’, for the act’ The House of Blue Leaves’.
- Eddie Falco was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2003 but she successfully fought it.
- Edie Falco has had issues with alcoholism in the past. She is now an advocate of the 12 Step Alcoholic Anonymous program.
- She adopted a son, Anderson, in 2005 and a daughter, Macy, in 2008.
- During the 2004 US Presidential elections, Edie Falco appeared in a television commercial supporting Mothers Opposing Bush. In the commercial, she said “Mothers always put their children first. Mr. Bush, can you say the same?”
- In 2013, Edie Falco partenered with PETA in a public service message urging parents to keep their children away from zoos.
- She has also become a spokesperson for Health Care for America NOW! (HCAN), a progressive political coalition.
Edie Falco Movies
1. Trust (1990)
2. Bullets Over Broadway (1994)
3. The Unbelievable Truth (1989)
(Drama, Comedy, Romance)
4. Megan Leavey (2017)
(Drama, Biography, War)
5. Private Parts (1997)
(Comedy, Biography, Drama)
6. Cop Land (1997)
(Thriller, Crime, Drama)
7. Sunshine State (2002)
8. Outside In (2017)
|2003||Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama||The Sopranos (1999)|
|2000||Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama||The Sopranos (1999)|
|2010||Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series||Nurse Jackie (2009)|
|2003||Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series||The Sopranos (1999)|
|2001||Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series||The Sopranos (1999)|
|1999||Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series||The Sopranos (1999)|
How To Cite
People Also Viewed