Derrick Rose Biography
Sun Sign: Libra
Also Known As: Derrick Martell Rose
Born Country: United States
Born in: Chicago, Illinois, United States
Famous as: Basketball Player
Spouse/Ex-: Alaina Anderson
mother: Brenda Rose
siblings: Allan Rose, Dwayne Rose, Reggie Rose
children: Derrick Rose, Jr.
City: Chicago, Illinois
U.S. State: Illinois
education: Simeon Career Academy, University of Memphis
awards: 2011-NBA Most Valuable Player Award
2009-NBA Rookie of the Year Award
2019-House of Highlights Moment of the Year
2009-NBA All-Rookie Team
Derrick Martell Rose is a popular American basketball player who currently plays for the ‘Detroit Pistons’ of the ‘National Basketball Association’ (NBA). Born and raised in Chicago in the US, Rose has been involved with basketball since his high school days. Shortly after his talent in the sport became apparent, he went on to become one of the best high school players in the country. Later, he played college basketball for ‘Memphis Tigers’ where his outstanding skills were appreciated. He was drafted into the NBA in 2008 by ‘Chicago Bulls.’ Thanks to his physique and skills, he went on to become one of the finest players in the history of NBA. In the year 2011, at the age of 22, he became the youngest player to win the NBA ‘Most Valuable Player Award.’ Apart from being a sportsman, he is also the co-owner of ‘Giordano’s Pizzeria.’ The popular basketball player has also signed contracts with companies, such as ‘Adidas’ and ‘Wilson Sporting Goods.’ Along with popular NBA players Kevin Durant and Blake Griffin, he appeared on the cover of a popular video game named ‘NBA 2K13.’ While his annual income is estimated to be around $1.5 million, he has a net worth of around $85 million.
- Derrick Martell Rose was born on 4 October 1988, in Chicago, Illinois, USA. He and his three older brothers were raised by their single mother, who was caring and loving despite being strict. Being the youngest of four siblings, he received fatherly affection from his older brothers, Dwayne, Reggie, and Allan.
- Interested in basketball from a young age, he enrolled at ‘Simeon Career Academy’ where his talent earned him popularity within a short period of time. He helped his team ‘The Simeon Wolverines’ win the ‘Chicago Public League’ championship in 2006. The event, which was held at the ‘United Center’ in Chicago, witnessed one of the best performances of Rose’s basketball career.
- By the time he reached his senior year, he was ranked as the fifth-best prospect in the nation by the popular magazine ‘Sports Illustrated.’ With his help, ‘Simeon’ became the first ‘Chicago Public League School’ to win two straight state championships.
- After graduating from school, several college coaches approached him due to his popularity. Eventually, Rose decided to enroll at the ‘University of Memphis’ and represent its basketball team ‘Memphis Tigers.’ He led ‘Memphis Tigers’ to a total of 38 wins.
- Around this time, Rose was embroiled in a controversy; an NCAA report stated that he had made someone else take his SAT exam in order to meet the academic eligibility requirement. But due to lack of evidence, he was soon cleared to play once again.
- Derrick Rose was drafted into the NBA in the year 2008 when he was selected by the ‘Chicago Bulls.’ With an average of 16.8 points and 6.3 assists per game, he also earned two ‘Rookie of the Year’ awards.
- During his second season, he had to miss the pre-season games due to an ankle injury. However, he played very well after recuperating from his injury, and led his team to several victories. His team made the playoffs in the 2009-10 season. The same season, he was also a member of the US national basketball team, which won a gold medal at the 2010 ‘FIBA World Cup.’
- In the next season, he was named the ‘NBA Most Valuable Player.’ This was a historic achievement as he joined Michael Jordan as the only ‘Chicago Bulls’ players to have received the award. Rose, who was only 22 at the time, also became the youngest player to receive the award in the history of NBA.
- Over the next few seasons, his performance improved and he soon gained reputation as an all-round basketball player in NBA. In 2014, he was once again part of the US National Basketball team, which won a gold medal at the 2014 ‘FIBA World Cup.’
- In June 2016, Rose was traded to the ‘New York Knicks’ along with Justin Holiday. He started off brilliantly in his debut game against the ‘Cleveland Cavaliers.’ Though his performance for the ‘New York Knicks’ was appreciated, he was fined in January 2017 for flying to Chicago to be with his mother just before an important game without notifying the concerned officials.
- In July 2017, Rose signed a contract with the ‘Cleveland Cavaliers.’ He scored 14 points in a 102–99 win against the ‘Boston Celtics.’ The following year, he signed a contract with the ‘Minnesota Timberwolves,’ reuniting with Tom Thibodeau, Jimmy Butler, and Taj Gibson.
- He signed with the ‘Detroit Pistons’ on July 7, 2019. He scored more than 20 points in seven consecutive games as a reserve, becoming the first player in Pistons’ history to do so.
- Throughout his college and NBA career, Derrick Rose has won several important awards, some of them being ‘NBA Rookie of the Year’ award in 2009 and ‘NBA Most Valuable Player’ award in 2011.
- He became the youngest player in NBA history to win the ‘Most Valuable Player’ award at the age of 22 in 2011. This can be regarded as his biggest achievement so far in his career.
- Derrick Rose is in a relationship with Mieka Reese, whom he has been dating for a long time. The couple has a child named Derrick Rose Jr., who was born in 2012.
- He is a devout Christian and has several tattoos related to his faith. He also wears a wristband that says ‘In Jesus Name I Play.’
- In 2018, he came up with ‘The Rose Scholars,’ a scholarship program to help students receive higher education.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed