Catherine Hicks Biography
Sun Sign: Leo
Also Known As: Catherine Mary Hicks
Born in: Manhattan, New York City
Famous as: Actress
Spouse/Ex-: Kevin Yagher (m. 1990)
father: Walter Hicks
children: Catie Yagher
City: New York City
U.S. State: New Yorkers
education: Saint Mary's College, Indiana (BA) Cornell University (MFA)
Catherine Hicks is an American actress who has several successful television shows, films and plays to her credit. The most notable among those is her role as Annie Camden in the television series ‘7th Heaven’, in which she appeared in 239 episodes throughout the show’s 11 seasons. The talented actress was first noticed more than four decades ago when she played the role of Dr. Faith Coleridge in the popular soap opera ‘Ryan’s Hope’. Hicks is also known for work in several hit films, most remarkably, for her highly acclaimed performance as Marilyn Monroe in ‘Marilyn: The Untold Story.’ Her other important movie roles include, playing Dr. Gillian Taylor in ‘Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home’ and Karen Barclay in ‘Child’s Play.’ She is a spokesperson for Catholic Relief Services. She has also lent her services to the Children's Advertising Review Unit.
- Catherine Mary Hicks was born on August 6, 1951 in Manhattan, New York; but she grew up in Scottsdale, Arizona. Her parents, Jackie and Walter Hicks, are of Irish and English ancestry.
- She completed her schooling in 1969 from Gerard Catholic High School in Phoenix, Arizona. She was a cheerleader in school.
- Hicks studied English literature at Saint Mary’s College, Notre Dame University, Indiana.
- She won a two-year scholarship to study acting at the Actor’s Conservatory, the Cornell University. Her masters in fine arts program at Cornell trained her in all the aspects of theatre.
- After graduating from the Cornell University, Catherine Hicks began her TV career by working in commercials in New York. In 1976, she got the role of a lifetime, on the ABC soap opera ‘Ryan’s Hope’, as the pediatrician Dr. Faith Coleridge.
- In 1978, she became part of the Broadway play ‘Tribute’ where she essayed the role of Sally Haines. In the same year, she also appeared as Valerie in the CBS TV movie ‘Sparrow.’
- She moved to California in 1979 and soon after that, she was roped in to play the role of Dr. Emily Rappant in the CBS sitcom ‘The Bad News Bears.’
- After auditioning hundreds of actresses, ABC cast Hicks as the lead in the high-profile TV movie ‘Marilyn: The Untold Story’ in 1980. Her performance was highly appreciated by the viewers and critics alike.
- Following her heart-touching portrayal of Marilyn Monroe, she went on to play Anne Welles, an entertainment lawyer, in the CBS mini-series ‘Valley of the Dolls’ by Jacqueline Susann.
- She appeared in the movie ‘Garbo Talks’ and the remake of ‘The Razor’s Edge’ (film) in 1984.
- The year 1988 was a good one for Hicks as she won her first Saturn Award for her performance in the movie ‘Child’s play’. She also began starring in Showtime’s series ‘Souvenir’ where she played the role of Christopher Plummer’s estranged daughter.
- She played Tony Danza’s girlfriend Janet Pearson in the indie film ‘She’s Out of Control’, which released in 1989.
- In 1997, Hicks starred as Maggie, a flight attendant, in the movie ‘Turbulence’; and as Ms. Lewis, the neighbor, in another film called ‘Eight Days a Week.’
- She was back on stage in 2011, playing Irene Livingston in Moss Hart’s play ‘Light Up the Sky’, produced by the Jewish Repertory Theatre, Nevada, Las Vegas.
- In 2012, she played the meaningful role of Maria Sokoloff’s mother in the ION Television original movie ‘A Christmas Wedding Date’. The next year, she played the role of Linda in the movie ‘Reach.’
- She featured in the Showtime documentary ‘That Gal….Who Was in That Thing’, in 2015.
- Catherine Hicks was selected to play the legendary actress Marilyn Monroe in the movie ‘Marilyn: The Untold Story’ in 1980. To be cast in that role, she had to beat stiff competition. Her portrayal of Marilyn Monroe was highly praised and she earned an Emmy nomination for it.
- In 1986, she starred in the film ‘Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home’ and was nominated for a Saturn Award in the Best Supporting Actress category for her role.
- Her longest performance was her role as Annie Camden in the series ‘7th Heaven, which ended in 2007 after running for 11 seasons.
- The University of Notre Dame instituted the Catherine Hicks Award to honor the talented actress in 1987-1988. This award is given to graduating students for their exemplary achievements in theatrics.
- In 1988, she won the Saturn Award for Best Actress for her role as Karen Barclay in the movie ‘Child’s Play.’
- Hicks is a trustee on the Hollywood Arts Council. She participated in the Safeguard My Meds Campaign, which aims to prevent the misuse and abuse of prescription drugs.
- On May 19, 1990, Catherine Hicks married Kevin Yagher. She gave birth to their daughter Catie Yagher in 1992.
- She is related to Jeff Yagher and Megan Gallagher through marriage as she is their sister-in-law.
- Hicks is a devout Roman Catholic who is involved in helping the church through various volunteer endeavors.
- Catherine Hicks and her ‘7th Heaven’ co-star Beverley Mitchell have two things in common. Each of them was their parents’ only child, and both of them were cheerleaders in school.
- She was featured in the book ‘Starlet: First Stage at the Hollywood Dream Factory’ by the famous Hollywood photographer Nancy Ellison. The book contains pictures of Hicks taken in the 1980s by Ellison.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed