Belle Perez Biography
Belle Perez is one of the few modern day music icons of Europe. After being involved with pop music for the first few years of her career, Perez found her true calling in the ‘Latino’ style. Her decision to adapt a different style, paved way for many great pieces of music, and helped her earn the appreciation of many music lovers. In a matter of just few years, Belle managed to become a phenomenon in various parts of Europe, especially the Netherlands, Spain, and Germany. One of the reasons for such a great fan following in the region could be the influence of the local European culture in her music. Many music lovers also sing praises of Perez for always choosing to do what she believed in. In a career spanning a little more than fifteen years, Perez has always chose to work on the style of music she preferred to, rather than compromising on her taste for the sake of money. This Latino singer has managed to create waves even in the North American music circles, through her talent. She won a contract with a record label, and has toured the region frequently. She is also believed to be a woman who constantly thinks of trying new adventures in the field of music, rather than being a stereotype
- Belle Perez was born in the Neerpelt region, located in Belgium, to parents of Spanish descent. She was originally named ‘María Isabelle Pérez Cerezo’. Perez started taking lessons in performing art forms such as dance, and was involved with ‘Flamenco’ groups, since the tender age of five. While training she discovered her ability to sing, and decided to pursue it further.
- Perez participated in a talent hunt show held in 1997, through which she grabbed the attention of well-known music producer and lyricist Patrick Renier. Her rendition of the song ‘That’s What It Takes’ made a lasting impression on Patrick. Two years later, she came to know about a great opportunity and tried her luck at the auditions for the ‘Eurovision Song Contest’, which helped Perez launch her career in music.
- She experimented with pop music until 2002, after which Perez embraced the Latino style into her work. She even started off her own band named the ‘Baila Perez’. The debut album composed by the band, named ‘Baila Perez’, went on to earn many accolades from the music fraternity and the listeners in general.
- During the next four years, Bella released a few more albums, namely ‘Arena 2004’, ‘The Best of Belle Perez’, and ‘Que Viva La Vida’.
- In 2006, Perez decided to try her luck again at the ‘Eurovision Song Contest’ which was to be held at Athens, Greece. However, she lost the contest to the Finnish band ‘Lordi’, and ended up securing the 3rd place.
- Perez gained more visibility in the year 2007, through the release of her debut album ‘Gotitas De Amor’, as well as the single ‘El Mundo Bailando’. These works were distributed in the nations, Germany, Switzerland and Austria.
- Even the later part of the year was eventful for Perez. She posed for a men’s magazine, and recorded a song titled ‘Djolei!Djolei’ during this period.
- The year 2008 saw the release of her next album, titled ‘Gypsy’. The tracks from this collection managed to secure a spot in ‘Top 10’ countdowns of both Belgium and the Netherlands.
- Starting in 2008, she has appeared on the ‘Holiday on Ice Shows’ in Belgium and then the Netherlands, the following year. Perez has also been focussing on theatre tours every year since her first tour, ‘Latino Mundial’, in the Netherlands.
- Though Perez has composed many albums, she is best known for the album ‘Gotitas de Amor’. The song ‘Amor Latino’ from this album secured the 11th position on a Belgian music chart. The album also earned the reputation of being a music collection which managed to sell 35,000 copies in the Netherlands alone.
- The debut album of Perez’s band, titled ‘Baila Perez’, was honoured with a ‘Gold’ award for creating a record of selling 25,000 copies in Belgium alone.
- Perez’s efforts for producing ‘Gotitas de Amor’ ended up in the achievement of fruitful results. The album won a ‘Gold Award’ for being a hit, and having sold 35,000 copies in Netherlands.
- Belle Perez was involved in a relationship with a man named Mario winters. After a courtship of five years, starting from 1995, Perez and Mario tied the knot. The marriage lasted for only eight years, and ended in a divorce. This period was said to be a really bitter time of Perez’s life.
- A few months after her divorce, Belle happened to meet a Dutch jewel designer by name Wouter van der Horst, who was much younger than her. Belle and Horst then fell in love, and the relationship continues to be steady till date.
- A book based on the career of Belle Perez was released after the latter completed 10 years in the music industry. A DVD of a concert performance of Perez has also been released in honour of the great singer.
- Belle Perez is a self-confessed fan of Madonna. She had apparently mentioned once that as a kid she often posed in front of the mirror with a hairbrush, pretending to be the legendary singer
How To Cite
People Also Viewed