Alison Berns Biography
Sun Sign: Gemini
Born Country: United States
Born in: Newton Centre, Newton, Massachusetts, United States
Famous as: Howard Stern's Ex-wife
Spouse/Ex-: David Scott Simon (m. 2001), Howard Stern (m. 1978–2001)
U.S. State: Massachusetts
Alison Berns is an American actor and radio host, best known as the ex-wife of famous radio host, director, producer, author, and TV personality Howard Stern. She met Stern at ‘Boston University,’ where she was pursuing her degree as a liberal arts student. After being introduced by a mutual friend and being offered a role in Stern’s student film, Stern and Alison went on a date and quickly fell in love. The couple dated for several years while she pursued her masters in social work. They finally got married on June 4, 1978, at the ‘Temple Ohabei Shalom’ in Brookline, Massachusetts. Her acting career started in her second year of college. Her close collaboration with Stern helped her career blossom successfully. They worked together in projects such as ‘Negligee and Underpants Party,’ ‘U.S. Open Sores,’ and ‘Private Parts.’ She quit acting in the 1990s and started serving as a teacher. In 2001, after welcoming three beautiful daughters, the couple decided to end their marriage due to Stern’s workaholic behavior. She married David Scott Simon on November 23, 2001. She is currently believed to be living happily with Simon.
- Alison rose to stardom not because of her acting career but because of her marriage with “The King of All Media” Howard Stern. The two met much before Stern gained his repute and riches, in 1974 at ‘Boston University.’ She was pursuing a degree in liberal arts, back then. A mutual friend introduced them to each other, but at that time, she was not too fond of him and considered him “the largest asshole.” Her opinions began to alter when they both started working together. Stern was making a student film for the class, titled ‘Transcendental Meditation,’ and approached her to appear in it.
- She accepted the offer, and the two started dating soon after. On their first date, they went to watch a movie named ‘Lenny.’ She was Stern’s first girlfriend in college and remained the only one.
- It was once claimed by Stern that just within a week of dating, he was positive that he would marry her. She graduated in 1976 and went to ‘Columbia University,’ New York, in order to pursue her masters in social work, emphasizing in psychotherapy and psychoanalysis. Soon, they moved in together, as Stern got a job at the New York ad agency ‘Benton & Bowles.’ In 1978, she completed her graduation. The couple got married on June 4, 1978, at the ‘Temple Ohabei Shalom’ in Brookline, Massachusetts.
- Their union opened the doors for her acting career, as Stern became a known figure in the radio and TV industries.
- She appeared in numerous TV series in the 1980s and the 1990s. In 1988, she made her debut with a comedy film named ‘Negligee and Underpants Party.’ She was also part of the event ‘US Open Sores,’ in 1989. She was seen in Stern’s biographical comedy movie ‘Private Parts’ (1997). She had regularly appeared in Stern’s series ‘The Howard Stern Show.’
- She quit acting in the 1990s and began teaching soon after. The couple has three daughters, Emily Beth (1983), Debra Jennifer (1986), and Ashley Jade (1993). She had lost one child in a miscarriage. Stern’s workaholic nature created issues in their marriage, as he started to ignore her and their family completely. In October 1999, they decided to call it quits. They finalized their divorce in 2001.
- Following her divorce, Alison started dating David Scott Simon. They got married on November 23, 2001. Following this, she quit her career and decided to take care of her children instead. She currently lives happily with Simon. Alison and Stern are still friends, primarily for their children. She is currently believed to be working as a psychotherapist in Roslyn Heights, New York. Her net worth is estimated to be $20 million. Her divorce had a great impact on her eldest daughter, as she later converted to Orthodox Judaism.
- Alison was born on May 26, 1954, in Newton, Massachusetts, US. She has a brother named Lou Berns and a sister named Betsy Berns Stark. She attended ‘John Ward Elementary School’ (1959–1966) before joining the ‘Bigelow Middle School’ (1966–1969) and finally graduated from ‘Newton North High School’ in 1972. Following this, she attended ‘Boston University’ and then ‘Columbia University.’ She wanted to become a teacher since her childhood, as she was inspired by her mother who was a pre-school teacher in Elizabeth, New Jersey.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed