University of Chicago
1978 - Nobel Prize in Economics
Herbert Simon is recognized as one of the founding fathers of important scientific domains and the most renowned figure of the twentieth century. Apart from being the key researcher in the field of science, he is also recognized as an economist, a professor, a sociologist and a psychologist. His works contributed to the field of management literature, economics, cognitive psychology and artificial intelligence. He worked as a professor for 52 years at Carnegie Mellon — a university which gave him recognition. He was a true scientist and his skills proved to be an asset for the computer science department at the Carnegie Mellon University. He developed an affinity for books, music and sports at a young age from his family. Till today, Herbert Simon remains as one the most famous and powerful figures of the last century, acclaimed highly for his innovative ideas, intelligence and personality. This academic scholar and Nobel Prize winner spent his life making groundbreaking discoveries like importance of human decision-making concepts in dynamic environments, artificial intelligence, information processing, attention economics and many more.
- In 1969, Simon received Distinguished Scientific Contribution Award of the American Psychological Association for his excellence in cognitive psychology.
- He got the honored A.M. Turing Award for his work in computer science in 1975.
- He earned the Alfred Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences for the year 1978.
- Received National Medal of Science was given to him in 1986.
- In the year 1993, he received the American Psychological Association Award for Outstanding Lifetime Contributions to Psychology.
- He is known to be one of the only 14 scientists to be received into the Chinese Academy of Sciences in 1994.
- The International Joint Conferences on Artificial Intelligence (the Award for Research Excellence) and the American Society of Public Administration (the Dwight Waldo Award) awarded two honors to Simon in 1995. He also was in the Automation Hall of Fame for his work in the artificial intelligence field.
- Simon received major national awards for Computing Machinery, the American Political Science Association, the Academy of Management, the Operations Research Society and the Institute of Management Science.
HERBERT SIMON TIMELINE
Simons was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
He completed his B.A from the University of Chicago
Met Dorothea Isabel Pye and married her.
ReceivedPh.D. in political science from the University of Chicago.
Simon was the director of a research group at the University of California, Berkeley.
He became the Professor of Computer Science and Psychology, and a member of the departments of philosophy and of social and decision sciences in Richard King Mellon University.
Simon studied mathematical economics, and with David Hawkins, discovered and proved the Hawkins-Simon theorem.
He assumed that computer chess would surpass human chess abilities within 10 years when, in reality, that transition took about 40 years.
Simon received Distinguished Scientific Contribution Award of the American Psychological Association for his excellence in cognitive psychology.
He was given A.M. Turing Award for his work in computer science.
He earned the Alfred Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences.
National Medal of Science was given to him.
He received the American Psychological Association Award for Outstanding Lifetime Contributions to Psychology.
He is known to be one of the only 14 scientists to be received into the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
He received theAmerican Psychological Association Award for Outstanding Lifetime Contributions to Psychology.
the International Joint Conferences on Artificial Intelligence and the American Society of Public Administration awarded two honors to him
Simon underwent surgery at UPMC Presbyterian for operating on the cancerous tumor from his abdomen, but succumbed to the complications triggered by the surgery.
Would You Like To Discuss Or Comment On Herbert Simon?
Books About Herbert Simon
PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION by Herbert A. Simon, Donald W. Smithburg, and Victor A. Thompson (1962 Hardcover 582 pages plus an 18 page Index. Alfred A. Knopf, NY publishers)
by Donald W. Smithburg, And Victor A. Thompson Herbert A. Simon
Administrative Behavior, 4th Edition [ ADMINISTRATIVE BEHAVIOR, 4TH EDITION BY Simon, Herbert Alexander ( Author ) Mar-01-1997[ ADMINISTRATIVE BEHAVIOR, 4TH EDITION [ ADMINISTRATIVE BEHAVIOR, 4TH EDITION BY SIMON, HERBERT ALEXANDER ( AUTHOR ) MAR-01-1997 ] by Simon, Herbert Alexander (Author ) on Mar-01-1997 Hardcover
by Herbert Alexander Simon
Administrative Behavior. A Study of Decision-Making Processes in Administrative Organization de Herbert Alexander Simon (Les Fiches de lecture d'Universalis) (French Edition)
by EncyclopÃ¦dia Universalis