Adam Rickitt was a troubled teenager who sought refuge in rugby. But when a shoulder injury caused an abrupt end to his career, he went into depression. While he was recuperating from his injuries at the hospital, he was infected by a bug which caused rapid weight loss. To make up for the lost weight he started binge eating and thus followed the vicious cycle of eating disorders. He had developed suicidal tendencies, but his mother helped him fight the depression and he headed on the path of healing. Since then he has been advocating the need of awareness among masses regarding various eating disorders. He was also involved with a lot of charities to support the cause. After a number of modelling assignments, he made his debut on Television with his most famous role of Nick Tilsley. After a controversial gay kiss scene on the show, lots of rumours about his orientation started doing the rounds. But his marriage to his long time beau Katy Fawcett put an end to the rumour mills. Rickitt suffers from a rare condition, Ankylosing Spondilitis, which leaves him at the risk of being paralysed and ending up in a wheel chair for the rest of his life. He maintains a rigorous routine of 1000 sit ups and runs 10 miles regularly to prevent his spine from fusing and leaving him crippled. To know more about his life and personality read the following biography.
- Nicknamed ‘Addy’, Adam Rickitt is the youngest of four brothers and the apple of everyone’s eye in the family. Adam Rickitt was born in the railway town of Crewe, England on 29th May, 1978. He is the youngest of four brothers born to his parents, and was fondly nicknamed 'Addy'.His father, a co-owner of a real-estate business, got him admitted as a boarder in ‘Sedbergh School’, Cumbria. However, Addy later dropped out from the institution.As a teenager he suffered from Bulimia, an eating disorder. After suffering from a shoulder injury during a rugby match, which ended his sports career, he caught a virus while he was hospitalised.He lost a lot of weight and had developed suicidal tendencies but a discussion with his mother changed his outlook.He battled the disease and underwent therapy for recovering.Career
- After dropping out from school, Adam started his career as a model. He featured in photo shoots for underwear catalogues to make a living. Later on he appeared on the cover for magazines like ‘Attitude’ and ‘Cosmopolitan’.His acting career commenced in 1997, when he was selected to portray the character of Nick Tilsley in the popular soap opera ‘Coronation Street’. During this time he was in talks with a music band manager named Nigel Martin-Smith, who had plans to cast him in a boy band, but Adam’s selection in the auditions for ‘Street’, put his plans to a halt.In 1999, he quit the show and delved into pop music. His first album to be released was ‘Good Times’. Though the single ‘I Breathe Again’ belonging to this collection was a chartbuster, the album failed commercially. Addy’s six-album contract with the label ‘Polydor’, the producers of ‘Good Times’ got scrapped. As a result of this, Adam did not pursue his career in music further.Rickitt returned to ‘Coronation Street’ for a shorter stint three years later. However, in 2003, he was cast in the show again, till the producer of the show changed the next year. This resulted in the replacement of the entire crew.As a part of his political propaganda, he attended many political debate shows such as the ‘Question Time’ and the Andrew Marr show ‘Sunday AM’, after being included in the list of ‘100 would be MPs’ for the 'Conservative' Party. Despite his attempts, he was unsuccessful in gaining the support of party stalwarts like David Cameron and Nicholas Winterton.Failing in his political endeavours, in 2006, Adam was seen on the television reality show ‘The Games’ wherein he finished last. The same year he also played the role of Prince Charming in the pantomime ‘Cinderella’ which was presented at the ‘Norwich Theatre Royal’.From 2007 to 2010, he essayed the mysterious character of Kieran Mitchell in the prime time soap opera ‘Shortland Street’ . His character was taken off air after a period of three years.After ‘Shortland Street’, Adam was supposedly working on a new music album but the album never got released, after the first single failed miserably.Lately in 2014, he was seen on the second series of the documentary show ‘The Big Reunion Show’ as a part of the English super group ‘5th Story’. The super group, exclusively created for the documentary series, consisted of names like Dane Bowers, Gareth Gates, Kavana and Kenzie, apart from Adam.Adam has been associated with various charitable causes. Currently he works with the cancer related charity ‘Help Harry Help Others’, and is also the chief executive of a mental health foundation named ‘The Caerus Partnership’. In the past he was associated with the ‘Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals’.Major Works
- Adam’s role of Nick Tilsley, in ‘Coronation Street’, is his most loved performance, and brought him to limelight. His character caught the attention of other producers and his acting career got a kick start after the 1997 show. He also made significant financial gains from the show, his gross income pegged at 50000 pounds.Awards and Achievements
- The hit singles of Rickitt, such as 'I Breathe Again', 'Everything My Heart Desires' and 'The Best Thing' have ranked top positions on UK countdown charts.Personal Life & Legacy
- Adam Rickitt got married to his long standing girlfriend Katy Fawcett on 21st December, 2014 in a pre-Christmas ceremony organised at Carlton Towers in North Yorkshire. Katy is a reporter for ‘Good Morning Britain’.Trivia
- When asked about his opinion on homosexuality, this celebrity had apparently replied 'how can one human being falling in love with another be considered a sin'.
How To CiteArticle Title- Adam Rickitt BiographyAuthor- Editors @ TheFamousPeople.comWebsite Name- TheFamousPeople.comURLLast Updated- March 30, 2015
People Also ViewedAlso Listed In