Mark Althavean Andrews, popularly known as Sisqó, is an American R&B singer, dancer, songwriter, and actor. He is the founding member and the lead singer of the famous R&B group of the 1990s, ‘Dru Hill.’ ‘Dru Hill’ derived its name from Druid Hill, the neighborhood where the four members of the band had grown up in. In his teenage years, Sisqó was employed at ‘The Fudgery’ in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, along with James “Woody” Green, Tamir “Nokio” Ruffin, and Larry “Jazz” Anthony. They began their careers singing the gospels. However, Woody quit the group soon after and went back to singing the gospels. His debut solo album, ‘Unleash the Dragon’ (1999), made him an overnight success, and his unique appearance and trendy style helped him become an icon by the end of 2000. He is also known for sporting a number of flashy hairstyles, such as a bleached blond Caesar hairstyle, blond cornrows, a blond Mohawk, and a neon-red dyed Caesar. In 2016, he opened a store named ‘The Thong Bong’ on Rodeo Drive, Los Angeles. The store specialized in ladies undergarments and marijuana accessories. It was later shut down due to copyright issues. However, it is expected to re-open in 2018.
- Mark Andrews “Sisqó” was born in Baltimore, Maryland, US, on November 9, 1978. His father, Alonzo Andrews, an electrician at the ‘PSINet Stadium,’ was always critical of Mark and his music career but eventually became his biggest fan after his success. He owes a lot to his parents, especially to his mother Carolyn Andrews, a social security worker, who convinced him to follow his heart. He has a sister, Donisha Andrews, who is also his assistant.According to his grandmother, he began singing when he was about 2 years old and at the age of 7, he became the youngest member of the ‘Young Adult Choir’ at the church.In high school, he, along with his mates Woody, Nokio, and Jazz, worked at ‘The Fudgery.’They sang the gospels during their initial years and founded ‘Dru Hill’ in 1992.He was a resident of Reservoir Hill, at 908 Newington Avenue, near Druid Hill Park, the place the band derived its name from.In 1994, he graduated from the ‘Mergenthaler Vocational-Technical High School.’Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- Sisqó’s rip-roaring career began when he, along with three of his mates, formed ‘Dru Hill.’ The group recorded hit songs, such as ‘How Deep Is Your Love’ and ‘These Are the Times,’ in the late 1990s.Woody quit the group in 1999 to pursue a solo career. This prompted the other members to go their separate ways, too.His solo album, ‘Unleash the Dragon,’ was released in 1999 through ‘Def Soul Records.’ The album included the risqué hit single ‘Thong Song’ and ‘Incomplete.’ ‘Thong Song’ became an international hit because of its provocative and scandalous content. The songs were major hits on the ‘Billboard Hot 100’ chart.He became a household name by the end of 2000. His flamboyant, flashy appearance and colorful hairstyles became his visual trademark.His success inspired ‘Play Along Toys’ to manufacture a ‘Sisqó’ celebrity doll in 2001. The same year, the song ‘How It’s Gonna Be’ was selected to be part of the movie ‘Rush Hour 2.’ It was a song by the girl group created by Sisqó, ‘LovHer.’ Around this time, he also hosted the dance competition ‘Sisqó’s Shakedown’ on ‘MTV’ and acted in movies such as ‘Get Over It’ (2001) and ‘Snow Dogs’ (2002). He also appeared as a vampire in ‘The Teenage Witch’ (Season 6) and signed a five-movie deal with ‘Miramax’ and a development deal with ‘NBC.’His second solo album, ‘Return of Dragon,’ was released in June 2001 and broke all his past records. The album went “platinum,” with songs such as ‘Can I Live’ and ‘Dance for Me.’The group ‘Dru Hill’ finally reunited in 2002 and released its third album later that year.He participated in the reality shows ‘Gone Country’ in January 2008 and ‘Celebrity Big Brother’ in 2010.In 2010, he came up with his next album with ‘Dru Hill,’ ‘InDRUpendence Day,’ through ‘Kedar Entertainment.’ The same year, the group was seen on the reality show ‘Keith Sweat's Platinum House’ on ‘BET's sister station ‘Centric.’Continue Reading BelowHe also appeared on the reality show ‘Celebrity Wife Swap’ in July 2013, where the wife of the 1990s pop singer Gerardo Mejia swapped places with Sisqó’s girlfriend.He released his third solo album, ‘Last Dragon,’ on February 10, 2015, through ‘Massenburg Media.’In 2016, he collaborated with country music singer Marie Osmond, and they released the song ‘Give Me a Good Song,’ which was also featured in the movie ‘Music Is Medicine’ (2016).In 2017, he sang a new version of ‘Thong Song,’ produced by ‘JCY.’Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Major Works
- His work with ‘Dru Hill’ created hit songs such as ‘How Deep Is Your Love' and 'These Are the Times.'His first solo debut, ‘Unleash the Dragon’ (1999), offered runaway hits such as ‘Thong Song’ and ‘Incomplete.’His second solo album, ‘Return of Dragon’ (2001), and his third solo album, ‘Last Dragon’ (2015), were praised, too.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Awards & Achievements
- He was nominated for the ‘American Music Awards’ (2001) in the ‘Favorite Male R&B/Soul Artist’ and the ‘Favorite R&B/Soul Album’ categories.In 2000, he won the ‘Billboard Music Awards’ for ‘Male Artist of the Year,’ ‘Male Hot 100 Singles Artist of the Year,’ ‘R&B/Hip-Hop Artist of the Year,’ ‘New R&B/Hip-Hop Artist of the Year,’ ‘New R&B/Hip-Hop Artist of the Year,’ ‘R&B/Hip-Hop Male Artist of the Year,’ and ‘R&B/Hip-Hop Singles Artist of the Year.’Continue Reading BelowHe was also nominated for the ‘Grammy Awards’ (2001) for ‘Best New Artist’, ‘Best R&B Male Vocal Performance,’ ‘Best R&B Song,’ and ‘Best R&B Album.’Sisqó was nominated for the ‘MOBO Awards’ for ‘Best R&B Act’ (2000 and 2001) and for ‘Best Video’ (2001).‘Thong Song’ won him the ‘MTV Video Music Awards’ (2000) for the ‘Best Hip-Hop Video.’ The same year, he was also nominated for the ‘MTV Video Music Awards’ for the ‘Best New Artist’ the ‘Best Dance Video,’ the ‘Best Video from a Film,’ and ‘Viewer's Choice.’He was nominated for the ‘Soul Train Music Awards’ (2001) for ‘Favorite Male R&B/Soul Album’ for his album ‘Unleash the Dragon.’He won the ‘Teen Choice Awards’ (2000) for ‘Choice Male Artist’ and ‘Choice R&B/Hip-Hop Track.’ The same year, he was nominated for the ‘Teen Choice Awards’ for ‘Choice Breakout Artist’ and ‘Choice Song of the Summer.’Personal Life
- Sisqó lives with his girlfriend, Elizabeth Pham, in Maple Grove, Minnesota, a suburb of Minneapolis. They have two children: a son and a daughter. He has another daughter, Shaione, born in 1995, from a previous relationship.He appeared in the reality show ‘Celebrity Wife Swap’ with Elizabeth.Trivia
- Sisqó has his own label, ‘Dragon Records.’His unusual hairstyles have often made people question his sexuality.His singing style is a quite similar to that of K-Ci Hailey of the R&B group ‘Jodeci.’ Sisqó is often criticized for this similarity.“Sisqó” was Mark Andrews’s nickname in childhood, as his curly hair made him look like a Latino.His elder sister, Donisha, is also his assistant.
AwardsMTV Video Music Awards
2000 Best Hip-Hop Video Sisqo: Thong Song (2000)
How To CiteArticle Title- Sisqó BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/sisq-40854.phpLast Updated- May 18, 2018
People Also Viewed