Sun Sign: Pisces
Also Known As: Robin Charles Thicke
Born in: Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Famous as: Singer
Spouse/Ex-: Paula Patton (m. 2005–2015)
father: Alan Thicke
mother: Gloria Loring
siblings: Brennan Thicke
children: Julian Fuego Thicke
U.S. State: California
City: Los Angeles
Robin Thicke is a multi-talented artist popular as a singer, songwriter, and television star. He is best known for his musical hits like ‘Magic’, ’Lost Without U,’ and ‘Sex Therapy’. Born in an artistic family, his interest in singing and acting was inherent. His parents were very supportive of his interest in music. It was his father who helped him to write and structure his very first songs. Starting his career with song writing for a production company, Thicke built connections to make his entry into Interscope Records, where he wrote songs for a number of top recording artists. As he reached his 20s, he decided to pursue a singing career along with song writing. He has worked with famous artists like Christina Aguilera, K. Michelle, Nicki Minaj, Pharrell Williams, Brandy, Jennifer Hudson, Usher, Flo Rida, Kid Cudi, Mary J. Blige, and many others. His album ‘The Evolution of Robin Thicke,’ which released in 2006, won a platinum certificate. However, it was only in 2013 that he rose to international fame with the release of his first R&B single ‘Blurred Lines.’ The song topped the US Billboard Hot 100.
- Robin Thicke was born on March 10, 1977, in Los Angeles, California, USA. His father, Alan Thicke, was an actor/songwriter best known for his role in the TV sitcom ‘Growing Pains’. His mother is an American actress/singer, who played a role in a drama ‘Days of Our Lives’.Due to parental influence, the young Thicke appeared in various TV serials like ‘The Wonder Years,’ ‘Just the Ten of Us,’ ‘The New Lassie’ and ‘Growing Pains’ during his childhood.As he reached teenage, he developed an interest in song writing and singing .His parents helped him to write songs and play different musical instruments. However, he did not get any financial assistance for his music school from them as they wanted him to focus on his studies before pursuing a career in music.At an age of 16, he got his first recording contract with Interscope Records .As he turned 17, he moved out and starting living on his own. He started to earn a living, supporting himself as a professional record producer and songwriter.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- Robin Thicke started his music career with McKnight's production company. He co-wrote McKnight’s song ‘Anyway’ that was featured in ‘I Remember You,’ the second album of McKnight. As he turned 16, he got his first recording contract with Interscope Records with the help of Jimmy Iovine.In 2002, Thicke released his debut an album titled ‘Cherry Blues Sky’ entirely by himself .The album featured ‘When I Get You Alone’ as its lead single. The album did not perform well commercially and reached number 152 on Billboard Hot 200, selling only 63,000 copies.The below average response of people towards the album disappointed him but he did not give up. He re-released the album under the name ‘A Beautiful World’ with two bonus tracks, ‘She's Gangsta’ and ‘A Beautiful World.’ This time luck favoured him and the album got 4th rank on Billboard Heatseekers Albums chart.He signed to Star Trak in 2005, and started to work on his second album, ‘The Evolution of Robin Thicke’. The first single of the album, ‘Wanna Love U Girl,’ featuring the producer Pharrell Williams , charted successfully on urban radio in the UK. The remix version of the song was released in 2006.The album’s second single ‘Lost Without U’ was released in 2006 and was a huge hit reaching, and maintaining, the number 1 rank on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for 11 consecutive weeks. The last two singles of the album entitled ‘Can U Believe’ and ‘Got 2 Be Down’ released in 2007 were also huge success.The album’s second single ‘Lost Without U’ was released in 2006 and was a huge hit reaching, and maintaining, the number 1 rank on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for 11 consecutive weeks. The last two singles of the album entitled ‘Can U Believe’ and ‘Got 2 Be Down’ released in 2007 were also huge success.‘Sex Therapy’, the fourth studio album by Thicke, released on December 15, 2009. It featured guest appearances by the famous music artists Snoop Dogg, Nicki Minaj Jay-Z, and Estelle. The album gave him more success by spawning several chart buster singles.Towards the end of the year 2011, Robin released his 5th album inspired by his family. The album titled ‘Love after War’ featured Robin and his wife Paula in a music video premiered for its first single. The album also featured Lil Wayne in ‘Pretty Lil' Heart’ –the second single of the album.Thicke’s 6th studio album released in 2013 gave him the biggest hit song of his career. The album titled ‘Blurred Lines’ spawned a single, also titled ‘Blurred Lines.’ The video of the song, featuring Elle Evans, Emily Ratajkowski, and Jessi M'Bengue garnered more than 1 million views in just a few days after its release on Vevo.Continue Reading BelowThe song proved to be a turning point in Robin Thicke’s career. It became a worldwide hit and topped the charts in more than 13 countries. Despite the controversy kindled by the song because of its shabby lyrics and music video, the song maintained the top position for multiple weeks.In 2014, Thicke co-starred alongside Jaime Pressly in a movie ‘Making the Rules’. He also appeared as a jury member and a mentor in the famous television show ‘Duets’ aired on the ABC television. The show garnered around 7 million viewers on its premier in May 24, 2012.In 2014, after separating from his wife, Paula Patton, Thicke released his next album titled ‘Paula’ dedicated to her. The lead single of the album ‘Get Her Back’ was released on May 19, 2014.After the release of ‘Paula’, Thicke remained away from the media for several months to shift his complete focus on his personal life and to work on new music. On June 30, 2015, he released his new album ‘Morning Sun’ which earned him huge appreciation from the audience.On August 6, 2015, Thicke’s new single ‘Back Together,’ featuring Nicki Minaj, was released. In 2016, he re-joined the cast of ‘Real Husbands of Hollywood’ for its fifth season.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Major Works
- Robin Thicke’s second album ‘The Evolution of Robin Thicke’ sold more than 1.5 million copies domestically and was certified Platinum by the RIAA. The first single, ‘Wanna Love U Girl’, charted successfully on urban radio in the UK whereas the second single ‘Lost Without U’, reached number 14 on the Billboard Hot 100 and maintained the top position on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for 11 weeks.The huge success of the album earned him the honour of being the first Caucasian male artist to top that chart since in 1988. In 2007, Thicke continuously topped four Billboard charts: Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums, Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay, and Adult R&B Songs.The album ‘Something Else’ sold 136,944 copies in the very first week of sales and charted at number three on both the Billboard Top R&B/Hip Hop Albums and Billboard Hot 200 chart.Robin Thicke’s 6th studio album, ‘Blurred Lines’, garnered him three Grammy nominations. The album topped the Billboard Top 200 list and the single, ‘Blurred Lines,’ maintained the top position for several weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 chart making him the first artist to take the top position in both the lists since December 2012.Continue Reading BelowThe single ‘Blurred Lines’ was much liked by the audience and simultaneously climbed to number 1 on five radio charts (Top 40, Rhythm, Urban, Hot AC & Urban AC).Awards & Achievements
- Robin Thicke has won eight awards at different award function ceremonies till date. In 2008, his song ‘Lost Without You’ won the award of ‘Top R&B/Hip-Hop Song’ at ASCAP Rhythm & Soul Award function.The album ‘Blurred Lines’ got him three nominations at the 2013 Grammy Awards in three different categories and two awards at the 2013 Soul Train Music Awards.The year 2014 saw him win five awards; four from Billboard Music awards and one from NAACP Image Award, again for the song ‘Blurred Lines.’Personal Life & Legacy
- Robin Thicke starting dating actress Paula Patton when he was 16 and got married to her in 2005. They welcomed a son in 2010 and named him Julian Fuego Thicke.Thicke shocked his fans in February 2014 by announcing his separation from his wife after 21 years of togetherness and almost nine years of marriage.Paula filed for divorce on October 9, 2014 and the couple officially split on March 20, 2015 when the divorce was finalized.Thicke has an elder brother named Brennan. In mid-1980s, Brennan worked as a voice actor. Thicke also has a younger half-brother named Carter.Trivia
- His friends jokingly nicknamed him as “Brian McWhite” due to his association with Brian McKnight.He also played a small role in the season 2 and Episode 4 of the TV series ‘The Wonder Years’.
How To CiteArticle Title- Robin Thicke BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/robin-thicke-13017.phpLast Updated- September 11, 2017
People Also Viewed