Rinko Kikuchi Biography
Rinko Kikuchi, born as Yuriko Kikuchi, is a Japanese actress well-known for playing the role of Chieko Wataya in the film ‘Babel’ as well as of Naoko in the film ‘Norwegian Wood’. She has also appeared in several other films including ‘Will to Live’, ‘By Player’, ‘The Taste of Tea’, ‘At River's Edge’, ‘Pacific Rim’, ‘Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter’, ‘Nobody Wants the Night’ and ‘Terra Formars’. Kikuchi, who is the first Japanese actress to win an Academy Award nomination in 50 years, has also acted in the drama series ‘Liar Game 2’, ‘Moteki’ and ‘Gu-Gu Datte Neko de Aru’. She has worked as a voice actor for the movies ‘Genius Party’ and ‘The Sky Crawlers’. Kikuchi is one of those actresses who have proved their worth in the Japanese entertainment industry. Her brilliant performances in various films have earned her myriad accolades apart from an Academy Award nomination. The Japanese beauty won the ‘Breakthrough Award’ at Gotham Awards function for contribution to ‘Babel.’ Her performance in the film also earned her the Best Supporting Actress awards from Austin Film Critics Association and Chicago Film Critics Association.
- Rinko Kikuchi made her debut in the year 1999 with the movie ‘Will to Live’. She then appeared in the flick ‘By Player’. From 2002 to 2004, she acted in a number of films including ‘Mike Yokohama: A Forest with No Name’, ‘The Taste of Tea’, ‘69’ and ‘Survive Style 5+’. Around this time, Kikuchi also appeared in a number of TV programs such as ‘The Private Detective Mike Hama’, ‘Uchu ni Ichiban Chikai basho’, ‘Ai to Shihonshugi’ and ‘Ryu’.
- Then in 2006, she was cast as Chieko Wataya in the flick ‘Babel’. Soon after this, the actress got the opportunity to do voice work for the film ‘Genius Party’. Kikuchi then got featured in the flick ‘The Brothers Bloom’ in 2008. A year later, she joined the cast of the drama ‘Liar Game 2’. That year, she also acted in the movies ‘Map of the Sounds of Tokyo’ and ‘Assault Girls’.
- In 2010, the Japanese beauty played the role of Naoko in the flick ‘Norwegian Wood’. She also appeared in the drama ‘Moteki’ that year. After this, she was cast as Tazu in the movie ‘At River's Edge’. Then Kikuchi did the films ‘Pacific Rim’ and ‘47 Ronin’ in 2013. The following year, she played Chikako in the series ‘Gu-Gu Datte Neko de Aru’ as well as Kumiko in the film ‘Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter’. After this, she worked in the films ‘Nobody Wants the Night’ and ‘Terra Formars’.
- Rinko Kikuchi was born as Yuriko Kikuchi on January 6, 1981, in Hadano, Kanagawa, Japan. She has two elder siblings. On December 31, 2014, she got married to actor Shōta Sometani. Together, the couple has one child. Besides this, information regarding Kikuchi’s education, family background, parents, etc. is unknown to the media.
Rinko Kikuchi Movies
1. The Taste of Tea (2004)
2. Survive Style 5+ (2004)
(Romance, Mystery, Fantasy, Thriller)
3. Babel (2006)
4. Pacific Rim (2013)
(Adventure, Action, Sci-Fi)
5. Funky Forest: The First Contact (2005)
6. The Brothers Bloom (2008)
(Drama, Romance, Comedy, Adventure)
7. Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter (2014)
8. Norwegian Wood (2010)
How To Cite
People Also Viewed