Peter Sagan is an up-and-coming top ranked athlete in the world of competitive cycling. Born in a small town in Eastern Europe, Peter Sagan was raised by his close-knit family. Encouraged at an early age to compete in cycling by his family, Peter Sagan soon began dominating competitions at his local club. After borrowing an off-the-shelf bicycle from a family member, Slovak gained national attention by winning his country's premier junior championships. His achievements soon gained the attention of the worldwide community and he began his professional career with a lucrative sponsorship contract. Peter soon began to prove his abilities after staging several impressive sprints, climbs and finishes to garner more points than any other cyclist. He then continued his phenomenal rise to the top, outperforming more experienced and more powerful cyclists to maintain his position at the top of the points ladder. Critics and fans alike have been drawn to Sagan's unique style that often allows him to dominate in both speed and power challenges. With his innate natural abilities and punishing work ethic, Peter Sagan is now approaching the height of his career and is likely to dominate the cycling world for years to come
- Peter Sagan was born on January 26, 1990 in Zilina, Slovakia. He is the youngest child in his family and has two brothers, Milan and Juraj, and one sister, Danka. During his childhood, both of his parents, father Lubomir and mother Helena operated a small grocery store.He began to ride bicycles when he was 9 years old, inspired by his older brother Juraj Sagan, who is also currently a professional cyclist.In 2007, Peter won the ‘Slovak Cup’ in which he competed using a bicycle loaned to him by his sister.Peter won the ‘Junior World Championship’ for mountain bikes in 2008. In the same year, he placed second in the ‘Junior Paris-Roubaix’cyclocross competition.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- Sagan began to compete professionally in 2009 when he cycled for ‘DuklaTrencin Merida’, a Slovakian cycling outfit. A few months later he joined the team ‘Quick Step’ but failed to sign a contract. His parents encouraged him to return to the sport.In 2010, he signed a two-year contract with ‘Liquigas-Doimo’. During training camp, he impressed his sponsors by destroying several mountain bikes. The same year, he competed in the ‘Tour Down Under’ and crashed during the second stage, severely injuring his arm and thigh. Despite his injuries, Sagan completed the race.During the 2010 ‘Paris-Nice’ road race, he won both the first and second stages. With determined effort, he pulled ahead to win the fifth stage in ‘Aix-en-Provence’. Because of his outstanding showing in the race, he was awarded the green jersey, given to the bicyclist with the most points during the racing year.During the ‘2010 Tour of California’, Sagan successfully won the fifth and sixth stages of the race. He won both the ‘Youth Competition’ and the ‘Points jerseys’ but finished the race in eighth place.In 2011, he finished first in the ‘Giro di Sardegna’ and claimed the green jersey for the most points after successfully claiming the first, third and fourth stages of the race.At the ‘2011 Tour of California’, he successfully defended his green jersey, courtesy of his impressive win of stage five.2011 continued to be a strong year for Sagan as he won the ‘Tour de Pologne’. Later in the year he defended his green jersey by winning the sixth, twelfth and twenty-first stages of the ‘Vuelta a Espana’.He closed out the year by winning the ‘Slovak National Road Race Championships’. He also dominated the ‘GP Industria&Commercio di Prato’ and came in second place at the ‘Philadelphia International Championship’.In 2012, he claimed the green jersey after an impressive showing at the ‘Tour of Oman’. He also successfully won stage four of the ‘Tirreno-Adriatico’ road race as well as the first stage of the ‘Three Days of De Panne’ race.Continue Reading BelowSagan maintained his grip on the green jersey after the ‘2012 Tour of California’. He handily won a total of five stages during the race.In 2012, he competed in his first ‘Tour de France’, claiming the green jersey after winning the first, third and sixth stages. He was also awarded a jersey for showing Combativity on stage 14.He closed out the year by winning the ‘Slovak National Road Race Championships’ and by coming in second during the ‘Gent-Wevelgem’ race.He began 2013 by handily winning the ‘Slovak National Road Race Championships’ as well as the ‘Gent-Wevelgem’ race, ‘BranatsePijl’, ‘GrenPremioCitta di Camaiore’ and the ‘Grand Prix Cycliste de Montreal’.Later in 2013, he claimed the green jersey at the ‘USA Pro Cycling Challenge’ after winning the first, third, sixth and seventh stages.He continued to win by defending his jersey at the ‘2013 Tour de Suisse’, winning the third and eighth stages.He dominated all other competitors at the ‘2013 Tour de France’ in the seventh stage and successfully claimed the green jersey.2014 started off well for Sagan as he won the ‘Sloval Road Race Championships’ once again, as well as the ‘E3 Harelbeke’.He continued his winning ways, claiming the points jersey at the ‘Tirreno-Adriatico’ after winning the third stage of the race. He defended his jersey at the ‘2014 Tour of California’, handily winning stage seven.Sagan defended his points jersey at the ‘2014 Tour de Suisse’ after winning stage three. He then competed in the ‘2014 Tour de France’, successfully maintaining the points jersey after winning stages 1-7.He has started off 2015 with a disappointing sixth place at the ‘Tour of Qatar’ but has high hopes for the rest of the year.Both Peter Sagan and his brother Juraj signed a three-year sponsorship contract with ‘Tinkoff-Saxo’ starting the same year.Awards & Achievements
- From 2012-2014, Peter Sagan accumulated more points than any other bicyclist, making him the most accomplished athlete in the sport for those years.Peter's professional cycling record is 61 wins, 42 second place finishes and 21 third place showings.Personal Life & Legacy
- Peter Sagan has never been married but he is currently dating the model Katarina Smolkova.Trivia
- This famous professional cyclist is nicknamed 'The Terminator'
How To CiteArticle Title- Peter Sagan BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/peter-sagan-5775.phpLast Updated- October 30, 2017
People Also Viewed