Sun Sign: Gemini
Also Known As: Swaggy P
Born in: Los Angeles, California, United States
Famous as: Basketball player
Spouse/Ex-: Keonna Green
father: Charles Young
mother: Mae Young
siblings: Charles Young Jr., John Young
children: Navi Young, Nick Young Jr.
U.S. State: California
City: Los Angeles
education: University of Southern California
Nick Young is an American professional basketball player. He currently plays for the NBA team ‘Los Angeles Lakers’. He is known to play in both ‘small forward’ as well as ‘shooting guard’ positions. He started playing basketball during his childhood and played for Cleveland High School during his early years. At the college level, he played for the University of Southern California Trojans team. However, prior to completing his senior year he took up the opportunity to play professional basketball with NBA team ‘Washington Wizards’. Other teams that he has been associated with in his career include ‘Los Angeles Clippers’, ‘Philadelphia 76ers’ and ‘Los Angeles Lakers’. He has involved himself in several humanitarian causes as well. He founded the Nick Young Foundation to fight gang violence and support victims by providing psychiatric services to them. He also plans to offer basketball coaching to underprivileged children. He appears as the lead in the documentary ‘Second Chance Season’ in which his shortcomings, exploits, and successes are analyzed.
- Nick Young was born on 1 June 1985 to Charles and Mae Young in Reseda, California. He had an older brother Charles Young Jr. who was killed as a victim of gang violence. Though Nick was only five years old at that time, he was severely affected by the death of his brother and later admitted in a mental institution.Nick Young used to play for the Cleveland High School in Reseda. His performance got him the ranking of the seventh best player in the country by HoopScoop. In 2003, he earned his initial team honors and was subsequently included in the list of top seniors by Athlon Sports Communications. He was listed among the top 50 recruits of 2004 by prep basketball guru Frank Burlison.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- Between 2004 and 2007, Nick Young played for the University of Southern California. He was also listed in the All-Pac-10 First Team—an honor that is bestowed to the best players in the team—for two consecutive seasons 2005-2006 and 2006-2007.In the 2007 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament, he led the team USC Trojans. The same year he announced that he would forego his senior year to pursue basketball as a professional and entered the 2007 NBA Draft.In 2007, he was selected by the ‘Washington Wizards’ and picked as the 16th overall. His first match was in the same year, against ‘Sacramento Kings’. He was associated with the ‘Washington Wizards’ from 2007 to 2012. He scored his career highest score of 43 points against ‘Sacramento Kings’ in 2011.In March 2012, he was traded to NBA team ‘Los Angeles Clippers’. During his association with the team between March and July, he was monumental in bringing the team victories against teams like ‘Oklahoma City Thunder’ and ‘Memphis Grizzlies’.In July 2012, he signed a one year deal with team ‘Philadelphia 76ers.’ The following year he joined the ‘Los Angeles Lakers’. In the season 2013-14, he managed to create a record for the team along with increasing his average points per game to a career high 17.9 points.In 2014, he renewed his contract with ‘Los Angeles Lakers’ for four years with a USD 21.5 million contract. However, injuries indered his initial games of the season and he made his debut for the season in November 2014. He continues to play with the ‘Los Angeles Lakers’.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Awards & Achievements
- His great performance earned him a position in the All-Pac-10 First Team twice, in 2005-2006 and 2006-2007.Continue Reading BelowPersonal Life & Legacy
- In 2013, Nick Young began a romantic relationship with rapper Iggy Azalea. The couple announced their engagement in June 2015; however the engagement was broken off a year later by Iggy Azalea, because Nick Young cheated her.He was previously in a relationship with entrepreneur Keonna Green with whom he has two children, a son named Nick Jr. (born in 2012) and a daughter, Navi (born in 2016).Nick started the Nick Young Foundation to work towards ending gang violence and offer psychiatric services to victims affected by it. He is also planning to organize free basketball camps for less fortunate children.In 2014, he injured the radial collateral ligament in his right thumb, which restricted him from playing for around eight weeks.In November 2016, he suffered a strained calf muscle on his right leg which kept him away from the game for about a month.Net Worth
- He has an estimated net worth of USD 8 million.Trivia
- His nick name is ‘Swaggy P’, which is also his twitter username.In 2010, he was fined USD 10000 by team ‘Washington Wizards’ for joining basketball player Gilbert Arenas in some antics prior to a game with the ‘Philadelphia 76ers’.
How To CiteArticle Title- Nick Young BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/nick-young-14376.phpLast Updated- March 30, 2017
People Also Viewed