Kellan Lutz Biography
Sun Sign: Pisces
Also Known As: Kellan Christopher Lutz
Born in: Dickinson, North Dakota, United States
Famous as: Actor, Model
father: Bradley Lutz
mother: Karla (née Theesfeld)
siblings: Brad Lutz, Brandon Lutz, Brittany Lutz, Chris Lutz, Daniel Lutz, David Lutz, Tanner Lutz
U.S. State: North Dakota
Kellan Christopher Lutz is an American actor and model. Active in the industry since 2004, he is one of the most promising stars in modern Hollywood. Lutz started his career as a model when he was still in high school, effortlessly transitioning from local catalogues to Bruce Weber shoots for Abercrombie & Fitch. His interest in acting began to take root after he finished high school and soon he decided to pursue it as a professional career. He made his screen debut in the 2004 reality television series ‘Model Citizens’ as a contestant. In the same year, he worked in his first acting role in the soap opera ‘The Bold and The Beautiful’. With a steady trickle of roles coming his way, he garnered precious experience. In 2006, he appeared in the comedy-drama ‘Stick It’, his first feature film. However, it took another two years for him to land his breakthrough role of Emmett Cullen in the Twilight Saga film series. Since then he has portrayed Poseidon in the epic fantasy film ‘Immortals,’ provided the voice for the titular character in the animated film ‘Tarzan’ and co-starred with Sylvester Stallone, Mel Gibson, Harrison Ford, and Arnold Schwarzenegger in the action adventure ‘The Expendables 3’.
- Born on March 15, 1985, in Dickinson, North Dakota, Kellan Lutz is one of the seven sons of Karla (née Theesfeld) and Bradley Lutz. His six brothers are Brandon, Tanner, David, Daniel, Brad, and Chris. He also has a sister, Brittany. Having grown up in such a large family, Lutz had a bustling childhood. They moved around a lot and he spent the early years of his life in North Dakota, the Midwest, and Arizona.
- After graduating from Horizon High School in Scottsdale, Arizona, he relocated to California and enrolled at the Chapman University to study chemical engineering.
- He considered joining the navy seals for a while. But eventually, he dropped out of college so he could become a professional actor. He realized even back then that he was taking a huge risk but he had enough confidence in his own abilities and that helped him muster up the courage to take such a step.
- By the time he left high school, Kellan Lutz was already an established model. It eventually led to his recurring appearances on PAX TV’s ‘Model Citizens’. His self-belief and determination led him to start off his career as an actor in 2004 in an episode of CBS ‘The Bold and the Beautiful’.
- He followed this up by playing a small role in ‘CSY: NY’. In 2005, he was cast in the recurring role of Chris MacNess in Lisa Kudrow’s comedy-drama ‘The Comeback’. In the same year, he guest-starred in HBO’s black comedy ‘Six Feet Under’ and The WB’s drama series ‘Summerland’.
- His big screen debut came about in 2006 with the film ‘Stick It’. He also starred in Steve Pink’s directorial venture ‘Accepted’ that year. In 2007, he did the direct-to-video movie ‘Ghosts of Goldfield’ and appeared in two highly popular television shows: ‘CSI: Crime Scene Investigation’ and ‘Heroes’.
- In the seven-part TV miniseries ‘Generation Kill’ (2008), he portrayed Corporal Jason Lilley. The series was nominated for 11 Primetime Emmy Awards in 2009, winning three. Lutz became part of the cast of The CW’s teen drama ‘90210’ in 2008.
- Over the next few years, he got the chance to portray a variety of characters. He played a young man marooned on an uncharted island in ‘After Dusk They Come’ (2009); a teenager suffering from extreme sleep deprivation in ‘A Nightmare on Elm Street’(2010); a star Lacrosse player in ‘A Warrior’s Heart’; one half of a newlywed couple in ‘Love, Wedding, Marriage’ (2011); and a fireman and paramedic in ‘Arena’ (2011).
- The 2011 epic fantasy film ‘Immortals’, in which he starred as Poseidon alongside Luke Evans’ Zeus and Henry Cavill’s Theseus, was a box-office hit, despite being poorly received by the critics. In ‘Syrup’, the 2013 film adaptation of Max Barry’s novel of the same name, he played a character named Sneaky Pete. The English-language German project ‘Tarzan’ (2013) was his first animated film.
- The third instalment of ‘The Expendables’ promised more action and a bigger ensemble cast. Released in 2014, it delivered just that. Lutz was cast as a former US marine and expert motorcyclist, who gets recruited by The Expendables team. He portrayed Hercules in the 3-D action fantasy film ‘The Legend of Hercules’.
- In 2015, he played William Shatner in the biopic ‘Experimenter’; co-hosted the short-lived game show ‘Bullseye’ on Fox with comedian Godfrey; and worked with Bruce Willis and Gina Carano in ‘Extraction’. The following year, he received critical praise for his performance in the thriller film ‘Money’. He also appeared in the Australian film ‘Science Fiction Volume One: The Osiris Child’.
- He is set to appear in multiple projects in the near future, including ‘Cigarette’, ‘Guardians of the Tomb’, and ‘Adi Shankar's Gods and Secrets’.
- The immensely successful 2008 release ‘Twilight’ not only served as the breakout film for Kellan Lutz, but also it did the same for Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart, Taylor Lautner and various other members of the cast. Lutz’s Emmett Cullen is a tall, muscular, intimidating vampire who, despite his imposing appearance, has a rather likeable personality. He reprised the role in all of three sequels of the film, which earned $3.43 billion in aggregate at the box office.
- Kellan Lutz’s outing as Emmett Cullen in the Twilight Saga won him several Teen Choice awards over the course of four years. He received the Choice Movie Male Scene Stealer Award in 2010 for ‘The Twilight Saga: New Moon’, in 2011 for ‘The Twilight Saga: Eclipse’, and in 2013 for ‘The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2’. He was also nominated in 2012 for ‘The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1’ but lost to Liam Hemsworth who played Gale Hawthorne in ‘The Hunger Games’ (2012).
- For ‘The Legend of Hercules’ (2014), he was conferred with the Super Superhero Award. Interestingly, he was also nominated for two Golden Raspberry Awards for the role: Worst Actor Award and Worst Screen Combo Awards.
- In past, Kellan Lutz has dated actresses Kayla Ewell and AnnaLynne McCord and model Brittany Ward. In 2016, he met TV host Brittany Gonzales. After a year of dating, Lutz confirmed their engagement during an appearance on Steve Harvey’s talk show. The episode aired on October 3, 2017. A devout Christian, he currently resides in Los Angeles.
- As an active member of the community, Lutz is involved with ‘Saving Innocence’ charity, which focuses on rescuing and rehabilitating child victims of sexual abuse in America. GQ recognized his exemplary work for the organization by naming him the “Gentleman of the Year” in 2014. Having been an active member since 2011, he donates money to them on his birthdays as well runs various fundraisers.
- Lutz has been associated with the animal charity PETA for years. He starred in one of their campaigns promoting the adoption of animals rather than purchasing them. He has also lent support to Ape Action Africa, a primate conservation effort working in West Africa.
- In the Twilight Saga films, Lutz was originally supposed to play Edward, which ultimately went to Robert Pattinson as he was busy filming ‘Generation Kill’ at the time.
- He is a practitioner of Brazilian jiu-jitsu and Muay Thai.
Kellan Lutz Movies
1. Experimenter (2015)
(History, Drama, Biography)
2. Accepted (2006)
3. Stick It (2006)
(Drama, Comedy, Sport)
4. The Expendables 3 (2014)
(Action, Adventure, Thriller)
5. Immortals (2011)
(Drama, Action, Fantasy, Romance)
6. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 (2012)
(Fantasy, Adventure, Romance, Drama)
7. Syrup (2013)
(Drama, Romance, Comedy)
8. Money (2016)
(Mystery, Crime, Thriller)
How To Cite
People Also Viewed